Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
I have two pairs, one for myself and one for my father, and they both do that on the newest firmware.
I'm sure it's a firmware issue.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
FWIW I called Apple. I was told to return them, which I did. I have a new pair for a couple of hours now, and I have not had the exclamation error with these.
[automerge]1572642080[/automerge]
FWIW I called Apple. I was told to return them, which I did. I have a new pair for a couple of hours now, and I have not had the exclamation error with these.

Spoke too soon! We have red exclamation marks. I repeat, we have red ones on the new ones too!

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I believe it’s a software issue also, as closing the cover for few minutes fixes it for me. I reported the issue to support, and they have someone from the senior team calling me tomorrow to do further troubleshooting. I’ll keep you guys posted

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Since I have an Apple store near by I did a swap. New ones do the exact same thing. I am not going to sweat it.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I thought I fixed it be resetting...but it’s back. What I’ve noticed in my case, is, it seems to happen when I charge the AirPods up to 100%. Anything below that...no red bouncing blips. At 100%...and it’s random, I remove them and I get the dancing red on the left one most of the time, but a few times the right one as well.

Here is the odd thing...when it does happen...

Open the case...both green at 100%. Remove them, and again, sometimes it’s fine, sometimes random, one of them does the red blip. Drop them back in the case, close, reopen and remove, and they are both green...but the one that was dancing red just before shows at 99% while the other is at 100%...

Emdek

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Netherlands
Same here, mostly the left one is flashing the exclamation mark and no sound. Used them for an half hour before trouble started. Did a hard reset following the instructions, worked for 3 min and same problem.
After been on hold on the phone for half an hour waiting for Apple support and explaining myself for about 20 min they finally agreed I did everything I could possibly have done (disconnect, reset, force firmware update (non-existent), charged both pods and casing, reset my iPhone etc), and the 2 day old set AirPods pro should be replaced. Now I have to wait over the weekend for UPS to pickup the defective set, but during the day no one is home coming week, so they will leave a form with which I can go to a UPS office to send the set back to Apple. Then after they receive the defective set they will send me a new set. What they didn't tell me on the phone is that delivery will take another 2-3 weeks! I had to find out later after receiving the confirmation by email. I now wish I ordered at one of the resellers, most of them send out replacement devices directly (sometimes reserving an amount on your creditcard). I expected better service from Apple, especially as a business customer

• Wow

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
So Apple don't know what the issue is, well not enough to tell us? Guess we should let the media outlets know.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
If you're not actually experiencing a real problem, I wouldn't bother trying to exchange them (yet). This is very possibly just a visual thing. My replacement is doing the exact same thing. I am sure it'll get addressed in a firmware update. It is annoying to look at, and as has been mentioned, definitely submit a report to Apple to make sure they know.

MJ0778

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Bremen, Germany
I have the same issue, but only after reopening the case or after listening and put it back in case. My first thinking was, that the silicon isn't in the right shape or form and it pushes the AirPods a little bit back -> connection problems. Because after closing the case, the flickering was stoped. At this point, I only have a visual problem. The AirPods seems to load right and after hours of listening, I had no audio issues or flickering because of not loaded batteries of the APP.

MJ0778

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Bremen, Germany
I have the same issue, but only after reopening the case or after listening and put it back in case. My first thinking was, that the silicon isn't in the right shape or form and it pushes the AirPods a little bit back -> connection problems. Because after closing the case, the flickering was stoped. At this point, I only have a visual problem. The AirPods seems to load right and after hours of listening, I had no audio issues or flickering because of not loaded batteries of the APP.

That's interesting. I opened the case, the case and the APP are @100%. The APP symbol has one battery for both (and one for the case). I take one out of the case, the symbol splits in two battery symbols (one for left and one for right). One is loading, the other isn't. Up to here everything is fine. I put the APP back in the case and sometimes I got one battery symbol again. Sometimes, it starts flickering with two battery symbols. I might think that pushing the flickering APP back in the case is stopping the flickering. Maybe only in my imagination.

But,... I do this several times and I recognise that the battery widget don't do the flickering. If I put one APP back in the case, I think they should show one battery symbol. The issue is, the symbol splits and one start flickering red. But not in the battery widget. The widget shows in my case always one battery symbol; like it should I think. No flickering. So that brings my to the conclusion that this must be a software problem.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My replacements arrived so I tested them for 30 mins, then put them on charge to upgrade the firmware. Checked them this morning and can’t see any dancing pods. Not sure if it is a fitting or software issue for you guys

Last edited:

jfim88

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Spain
Experiencing the same problem here. I made a short video. Happening also with the new 584 firmware.

Reactions: arn

tonester697

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2017
Same problem for me. But always the Left pod. I put on charge a while and it went away.
Ha, for me it's been the Right pod.

LOL there should be a "Left" pod vs. "Right" pod commercial like how they have it for Twix...

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
Same issue here. Started doing it the second I started using them. Returned today & they were sold out so I just ended up getting my $ back. Even if it is just a software issue (which I truly do not believe it is), I cannot in good conscious keep them. They also refused to charge past 99% which is very concerning to me. Going to wait a few months till they resolve this, because it’s honestly not acceptable for a 265$ product.

Serpenthawk

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Did some further diagnosis and it appears that I get the exclamation (!) for the AirPod that was put in the case first. Insert L and then R the the L freaks out. Insert the R and then L and the R freaks out. It was difficult but I did not get the (!) when I managed to insert both at the same time ?‍♂️

Tommy Hewitt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Did some further diagnosis and it appears that I get the exclamation (!) for the AirPod that was put in the case first. Insert L and then R the the L freaks out. Insert the R and then L and the R freaks out. It was difficult but I did not get the (!) when I managed to insert both at the same time ?‍♂️

Yes! That's exactly the behavior I've been experiencing for the last few days. It's always the Pod that goes in first. Both AirPods still work fine tough. So I really doubt that this is an hardware issue.

Randombush

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
This happened on my AirPods 1, but with the right AirPod. It could be a Firmware issue, because when my AirPods finished updating, they stopped doing that thing

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This happened to mine with the medium tips on. Now my left one died completely. The case doesn’t even recognize it.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Mine do this sometimes and I have the wireless gen two version of the plain old AirPods (not pro) doesn’t seem to affect much. I always assume it‘s because I mostly just use the one at a time, rarely together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.