Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I'm super disapointed- my new airpods pro are a total fail- all the problems above and crazy pairing issues - its like 2007 bluetooth with mine - left pod doesn't work.... have done everything mentioned above and been troubleshooting for an hour and still can not get the fit test - what a **** show Apple
Bet, you're ready to jump on purchasing a HomePod now. Just wait until Apple pushes faulty firmware to those AirPods that renders them inoperable. Plus, try to prove it other than a flood of people online posting issues and hopefully Apple acknowledges the problem and replaces them without cost. The AirPods were one device that could have had a user acknowledgement agreement/disagreement to a firmware update coupled with some sort of notification/progress feedback to the user. There are many cheap BT headphones that have a recovery mode through the dual purpose charging/data port. It was quite possible for Apple to have incorporated this feature in the charging case for the user to enter a recovery mode, much like your iOS devices. Another upload of the firmware may even resolve these issues. However, we have no means to do it.

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
My issue is this. Tried all the eartips still the same.

Attachments

• 4035C4FF-E0C3-470C-86F7-8093A074A1F1.jpeg
    4035C4FF-E0C3-470C-86F7-8093A074A1F1.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 229

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
So my new AirPod Pros pair and work no problem. They also seem to charge in the case ok. But when I get the onscreen animation upon opening the case I remove an AirPod and put it back the two images of the AirPods dance side to side like it’s glitching and shows a red exclamation. This swaps depending on what AirPod I remove then replace.

There’s no dirt or dust in the case or AirPods. What the hell is happening? Are these defective?

I repaired several times and reset the phone but it keeps happening.

View attachment 873771
Mine are doing the same exact thing.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Sometimes it's hard to get the affected bud to connect.

Here's what I do, and it always works (knock on wood). If you see the red exclamation mark and it won't go away (or "dances"), put both buds back in the case and close the top. Wait five seconds. They both should work after that.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Some on this thread say they have noticed this issue with AirPods 1 and AirPods 2 in addition to AirPods Pro. I have owned all three interactions of AirPods and never noticed the red exclamation point until reading this thread. It does pop up on my AirPods Pro’s But, I only see it when I put the pods in the case and wait for it to show. I have always just put the pods in the case and closed it never to see it. Sometimes I think I should stay off these forums but, there is a lot of useful information in addition to the things that trigger my OCD.

jfim88

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Spain
I’m in touch with Apple Support about of this. I contacted in Twitter with @Applesupport. They ask me some info and to do some test. Created a case for me. Received a call, the employee pass the case to second level agent, and he made some test again, asked me to install a Bluetooth logging profile and a complete diagnostic. They scaled up the case to engineering department.

Hope they can resolve it soon.

Reactions: arn

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
wish I would've seen this thread earlier. Bought a pair today and noticed this issue. Updating the firmware made no difference except maybe making it worse. My other AirPods v2 had no issues. Im going to exchange these and try again.
[automerge]1573083365[/automerge]
Some on this thread say they have noticed this issue with AirPods 1 and AirPods 2 in addition to AirPods Pro. I have owned all three interactions of AirPods and never noticed the red exclamation point until reading this thread. It does pop up on my AirPods Pro’s But, I only see it when I put the pods in the case and wait for it to show. I have always just put the pods in the case and closed it never to see it. Sometimes I think I should stay off these forums but, there is a lot of useful information in addition to the things that trigger my OCD.

LOL I feel the same. You have to remember people only come here to complain, which is a small percentage of the masses. Rarely do I have the same issues identified in these forums. When I do its most likely a wide spread problem, which I think this issue is but majority of people won't know because they dont read forums.

ReulandWolf99

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
Washington
I just got my Airpod Pros today, first airpods I've had because they're the first ones to have the gummy tips. When I opened them up to pair them it asked me to do the 13.2.0 update, which I of course did, and haven't experienced any problems in the time that I've used them. my mother and brother both had gen 1's and never experienced this is. It does cause me a bit of concern though that there seems to be the number of problems that there is with them. Will defiantly have to pay attention when using them.

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
I previously had an issue with only being able to get the right headphone to connect. I did a total reset of the headphone and then it worked fine for a couple of months. Now tonight it has started doing it again. It started with both not working. I disconnected and forgot the device over and over again. Sometimes I was successful in getting the left to work, other times the right, but never both.

This is a really expensive product that appears to have a serious issue. I was just about to buy the airpods pro to use the ANC at work, and now I'm realizing these things seem to have widespread problems. It isn't just this thread either, they're everywhere.

inductive_o

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Glendale, CA
Have updated to iOS 13.3 beta 1. Did not solve the issue. Still have the red exclamation marks when checking battery. Starting to think it may be hardware related. Will wait a few more days for Apple to attempt fix via software. If not resolved, will return within 14 day period.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
My issue is this. Tried all the eartips still the same.

Well, how do they sound and how is the ANC working on each? Can you detect a difference? Trust your own ears and not a software gimmick. If you believe one sounds worse no matter which tips you use, return them. If they sound fine in spite of what your phone is telling you, then don't worry about it. Prior to AirPods Pro, no one needed their phone to tell them if their ear buds fit. ;)

I had this red exclamation point thing at first, but I haven't seen it yet today. I little jiggle of the AirPod has been correcting this immediately.

Reactions: iL15hts

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
LOL. I mean it's one thing to scam and make it look legitimate. It's another to take a product such as this and list it at < $50. But, the fact that there are still tons who believe that they'll get this product is amazing. Here's one example of an auction to be leery of and there are others that have ridiculously low prices. Saw one have 600 sales at $31.99/piece. They're ramping up for this holiday season with the sales. People think they are safe from these and you would probably get your money back. But, it provides a nice list of targets for addresses and telephone numbers with PayPal account user names.

ebay AirPods Pro Auction at $32

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
LOL. I mean it's one thing to scam and make it look legitimate. It's another to take a product such as this and list it at < $50. But, the fact that there are still tons who believe that they'll get this product is amazing. Here's one example of an auction to be leery of and there are others that have ridiculously low prices. Saw one have 600 sales at $31.99/piece. They're ramping up for this holiday season with the sales. People think they are safe from these and you would probably get your money back. But, it provides a nice list of targets for addresses and telephone numbers with PayPal account user names.

ebay AirPods Pro Auction at $32
What?

Reactions: shinysideup

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I had the same issue with my first pair of AirPods Pro. The left pod just zonked out and is not being recognized by the charging case. After many attempts to reset etc, they’re going back to Apple tomorrow. I ordered a different pair from another store and those arrived today.
I’m still seeing the red exclamation mark showing intermittently and I’m running 13.3 b1 on my iPhone. Hopeful that this new pair won’t crap out..

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
I’m on 13.2.2 and still seeing this as well. On initial opening of the case it seems ok, when I remove one pod and put it back the red exclamation appears on the opposite pod and vice versa! Still hopeful it’s software but I thought this was addressed on 13.2? I have one week left to return and hopefully it is resolved before then.

Reactions: Jutah

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Since others here have gotten replacements and had the same issue, that pretty much negates a HW issue. It's either APP firmware or iOS bugs.

I really wish MacRumors would report on the issue. Nothing gets Apple motivated by bad press regarding a new, hot product.

Or at least Forbes. How about one of their "Apple has a serious problem with AirPods Pro"? They love that stuff.

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Since others here have gotten replacements and had the same issue, that pretty much negates a HW issue. It's either APP firmware or iOS bugs.

I really wish MacRumors would report on the issue. Nothing gets Apple motivated by bad press regarding a new, hot product.

Or at least Forbes. How about one of their "Apple has a serious problem with AirPods Pro"? They love that stuff.

I have the same issues with mine, my replacements are arriving today so will test and provide feedback. I don’t have high confidence it will be resolved, just hoping the annoying clicking noise during calls is fixed in the replacements, lol

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
The issue was existing before on GEN 2 and I've temporarily resolved it. But, I'm starting to notice that it does seem to occur more when either on a charger at 100% for the AirPods and case or when pulled off the charger and both are showing 100%. After a decline in charge capacity to less than 100%, then I don't notice it as much or at all. I'm not keeping accurate data, other than, looking at when it doesn't show up. But, I probably need to. Also, it seems like I noticed it right away after updating to 13.2.2 yesterday.

Update: Holy H***! I'm having ridiculous battery drain on the GEN 2 now with 13.2.2. Jeez, another reset, remove from all iCloud devices, and pairing again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.