Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvtoever

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
I bought mine directly from Apple. Returned them since I was still within 14 days period. Hope to buy them again in a physical store once these problems are resolved. Please keep posting issues/solutions

• Love
Reactions: Dopestar

ishayc

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Facing this issue as well. Airpods was bought from Apple store in Japan.
I do have another issue that the battery drain is uneven - like 1% difference every 10% that goes down, that means the right airpod goes off while the left one still has ~10% left.
Does anyone else has this issue?

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Facing this issue as well. Airpods was bought from Apple store in Japan.
I do have another issue that the battery drain is uneven - like 1% difference every 10% that goes down, that means the right airpod goes off while the left one still has ~10% left.
Does anyone else has this issue?

have the same issue with 3 different sets I had. I believe if you set the AirPods mic setting to automatic (default) it favours the right mic is my guess as there is setting to force mic to right or left.

Reactions: ishayc

ishayc

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
have the same issue with 3 different sets I had. I believe if you set the AirPods mic setting to automatic (default) it favours the right mic is my guess as there is setting to force mic to right or left.
Then no need replace them. Thanks!

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Same message as before. I’m working with Apple to show them the issue and document it. Its a UI glitch. There is no charging issues or AirPod issues at all. Even when the glitch appears on screen it still charges.
I’ve used these since day 1 and are an amazing product. Done planes, runs, gym and work. Top notch. Just hold tight.

Reactions: Jutah

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I'm curious as to the "automatic" mic selection feature. Maybe it's based on charge remaining in the AirPods coupled with whichever one is activated first when placing them in your ear.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
I don't know why some folks think this is a minor "cosmetic" glitch. It most certainly -is not-. Every other wireless bud I've had (Jaybird, Sennheiser) connect instantly and without issue. These do not.

Scenario - you're out walking and want to listen to music. You open the AP case and pop in the buds... but only the left one connects. You put them back in the case, reinsert into ears and... same thing. The only workaround is to place in case, close case, wait a few seconds, and then hope you have better luck.

By now you've walked a block. And, wanna try doing this while walking? Better watch where you are going. And sure, I could always stop and fiddle with it, as long as I'm not in a hurry. But the point is I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!

I don't intend to return them, and I have confidence issue will be fixed. Just please don't think it's a trivial issue, especially if you haven't experienced itself.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Never had this issue with my Gen 1&2 or APP. I have had connectivity problems with Sennheiser’s and Bose wireless in ear.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I don't know why some folks think this is a minor "cosmetic" glitch. It most certainly -is not-. Every other wireless bud I've had (Jaybird, Sennheiser) connect instantly and without issue. These do not.

Scenario - you're out walking and want to listen to music. You open the AP case and pop in the buds... but only the left one connects. You put them back in the case, reinsert into ears and... same thing. The only workaround is to place in case, close case, wait a few seconds, and then hope you have better luck.

By now you've walked a block. And, wanna try doing this while walking? Better watch where you are going. And sure, I could always stop and fiddle with it, as long as I'm not in a hurry. But the point is I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!

I don't intend to return them, and I have confidence issue will be fixed. Just please don't think it's a trivial issue, especially if you haven't experienced itself.
Yep, I've had this happen. It seems like it was mostly after an iOS or AirPods software update. A removal from iCloud devices, reset of AirPods, and pair again usually resolved it for a while. Sennheiser are awesome and never had problems with their connections. So, it's probably the AirPods and Apple really needs to get with some in-depth testing of the firmware with iOS. It's gotten worse lately.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Let’s keep this focused on this glitch. This one does not affect connectivity or charging. I have not had a single connection issue on my ipx or 2018 iPad Pro. I can be rooms away without any issue. Apple has all my logs and is addressing this.

anything other than this is not covered here. This is a UI glitch.
[automerge]1573688799[/automerge]
19B810AD-6A15-4966-911E-A8F4168585B2.png

in this the exclamation flickers back and forth. I can also make it happen with either. It still charges and still connects. If you always get one exclamation, have a charging issue or connection, then yours is faulty.

Last edited:

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Let’s keep this focused on this glitch. This one does not affect connectivity or charging. I have not had a single connection issue on my ipx or 2018 iPad Pro. I can be rooms away without any issue. Apple has all my logs and is addressing this.

anything other than this is not covered here. This is a UI glitch.
The two kind could be related. You have no idea. Granted the thread topic is about the error with the notice of a red exclamation.

@dandrewk Have you had the error with the red exclamation mark on the pop up notice when your AirPods connect to iOS 13.x?

I just witnessed it again today after both the AirPods and case were connect to AC and charged to 100%. I opened the case and here comes the pop up notice bug.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
This can be produced in two manners. Corded or not. Have an empty case open it up, drop one in wait a few seconds drop the other in. Close and open lid sometimes after. The key feature is the red exclamation shows up for the last AirPod dropped in. But this does not affect charge or connectivity. It’s just a UI glitch. Had three calls with the senior dev team.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
This can be produced in two manners. Corded or not. Have an empty case open it up, drop one in wait a few seconds drop the other in. Close and open lid sometimes after. The key feature is the red exclamation shows up for the last AirPod dropped in. But this does not affect charge or connectivity. It’s just a UI glitch. Had three calls with the senior dev team.
Well, I've had it stuck with the exclamation until I've interacted with the iPhone for the pop up notice to disappear. I've also had the random but rare disconnect, long time to connect, or no connect and only able to connect by taking the AirPods putting them back in the case for a moment and removing again. So, without knowing the firmware code, then you can't determine if any of them are separate or related. If these were consistent every time I've used them, then I would have pursued an exchange. Not surprising that there are many other people who've had more than one problem. So, ONCE AGAIN, you don't know whether any of them are related.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
I’ve tested three pairs all with the same ability to reproduce. None have had your issue. I can make this happen on any set. I’m leaning that yours is specific to your set because I’ve never had those issues on any of them. Used them every day for nearly two hours

With confidence, not a single disconnect and every single time I open the case and pop Them in, instant connection. Both ipx 13.2.2 and iPad Pro 13.2.2.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
LOL. Alright man, head on back to the Apple campus for your collaboration with the "engineers" in helping them solve this problem.
While the rest of us deal with the unknowns of why this bug occurs, if it's related to any other bugs, how to consistently reproduce it, and will Apple ever issue another firmware release because you've finally helped them solve it. But, in no way, from your professional opinion on these matters could these be related because your working on why Apple can't figure it out. Thanks, Will Hunting for your advice.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
nah it’s being proactive. See you come on here and bitch. I take an approach to help solve the bug. Helping squash a bug is the mature thing to do. Call up and submit your logs or simmer down.

Do us a favour, return them and get some sonys. Your problem is not the AirPods, it’s the thing between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: zhenya

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
nah it’s being proactive. See you come on here and bitch. I take an approach to help solve the bug. Helping squash a bug is the mature thing to do. Call up and submit your logs or simmer down.

Do us a favour, return them and get some sonys. Your problem is not the AirPods, it’s the thing between them.
LOL. You haven't done jack to solve anything, other than inflate your own false sense of self-worth. Oh...and try to regulate this thread with constant needs of, "It's just a UI glitch, don't worry about it.", "They're not related because I know diddly squat about software and hardware. But, I'm collaborating with engineers to help them solve a problem.", "I've shown them how to reproduce this issue but they still can't seem to grasp my complex troubleshooting skills.", "Look guys, can we keep this on topic because I know exactly what's going on and we don't need to have this spiral off on another bug which I can validate are unrelated. Again, because I'm in constant communication with Apple engineers and we're diligently working to solve this glitch."...and so on...and so forth.

Reactions: dandrewk

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
And what have you done? You're not the first to "inform" Apple of this bug nor are you the first to "collaborate", if that's what you like to call it. This bug has been around for at least 1-2 months if not longer. I've provided feedback on different scenarios for trying to reproduce, along with giving resolutions that I've discovered. However, I consider those very minuscule posts and not much in terms of contribution from my POV. But, it's more than your, "Hey look at me, I've got the 411 with Apple engineers but couldn't explain anything more since I'm under NDA." So, your contribution wasn't anything either but it certainly means that you don't know enough to state, "These aren't related so lets keep this on topic.". "I am now the official moderator and delegate of the matters related to red exclamation points on AirPods which Apple has deemed me worthy for collaboration." LMAO. That's rich.

Reactions: dandrewk

dvtoever

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
I think we are confusing two different problems here (however both have red exclamation icons involved).

My main problem is not the red icons, but exactly what dandrewk describes: left or right airpod won't connect and is hard to restore.

I think we should focus on the connection issue, rather than the red icons.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Anyone having issues should be making contact with Apple to run diagnostics. It’s no time and helps the community out.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Anyone having issues should be making contact with Apple to run diagnostics. It’s no time and helps the community out.
What would those "diagnostics" be on Bluetooth earbuds? Is there an unknown software diagnostics menu that most of us don't have access to or don't know about?
I'm sure it would be helpful to the community if you could provide the method to access these software or hardware diagnostics that Apple performs on AirPods.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California

You keep insisting this is a UI glitch. I'm here to tell you, you are 100% wrong. It doesn't happen to you, it doesn't happen with the myriad (read:3) other buds you have "tested". Thus, it's not an issue with the buds, the problem is with the user.

Right, so the dozens of folks posting here, discussing CONNECTIVITY issues, are all wrong? That's not being "proactive", that's being pompous and arrogant.

Since this non-issue isn't affecting you, why are you in this thread? We come here for help with an issue, we don't need to hear clueless misinformation.

Tommy Hewitt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Since this non-issue isn't affecting you, why are you in this thread?

Because this thread is about the red exclamation marks and not for connectivity issues. The first one was really just a software glitch, today's firmware updated fixed it for me.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Because this thread is about the red exclamation marks and not for connectivity issues. The first one was really just a software glitch, today's firmware updated fixed it for me.

When I see the red exclamation on the UI popup, the bud with the mark is not/will not connect until I reinsert the buds in the case, sometimes several times. IOW, the UI is an accurate indication of connectivity. For me and others, it's more than a software glitch.

Mind telling me the firmware version you are using? Was it only recently been available?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.