Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybertruck20

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I’ll wait for SW/FW updates to do anything. My Pro’s work every time but a few. Might have to put in the case for a second if they don’t connect perfectly, but a quick reconnection always does the trick. SW/FW update should do the trick later on. Same thing happened with previous pair of Gen 2’s as well

bdbfc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
That explains what happened to me on Sunday, I couldn't get the left one to work, so then I tried to remove them from bluetooth and reset them and now I'm at the place where I can't even get them to pair again

No animation runs when I open the case to set them up, I have the flashing white lights. but nothing else.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
Happens on my Gen 1 airpods since i bought them back on launch day. i have 2 pairs and they eventually both started doing it.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I have similar issues with my hearing aids ever since 13.2 update.
They double as headphones.
Kinda nice as I don’t have carry extra headphones and I don’t have to take them out once a call is done.

4658CCFE-713E-4FDB-B562-F8D9094B81B9.png

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
So my new AirPod Pros pair and work no problem. They also seem to charge in the case ok. But when I get the onscreen animation upon opening the case I remove an AirPod and put it back the two images of the AirPods dance side to side like it’s glitching and shows a red exclamation. This swaps depending on what AirPod I remove then replace.

There’s no dirt or dust in the case or AirPods. What the hell is happening? Are these defective?

I repaired several times and reset the phone but it keeps happening.

View attachment 873771
Probably a bug I experience that but it still works normally.

diggyzz

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
I’m also having this problem. The pods works fine though but I’m mostly worried about the battery drain. Left pod is sometimes 20-30% less than the other one. Probably the one that are dancing around in the animation :(

jceeetle

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Southern CA
My Airpods Pro worked for two hours straight out of the box. I then put them away plugged in to power. A few hours later the left pod didn’t work. Red exclamation point and zero charge %. It showed charging but never got off 0% even overnight. Applesupport had no solution so I exchanged them at the Apple store. New ones working for two days without issue.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Yeah me too, always the right one.

This is NOT a visual error. If I try to use the affected bud with the exclamation point... nada. I also get the connected/not connected dance when the buds are in the case.

Hmmm, if this affects AirPods and AirPods Pro, this may be an iOS issue. We will have to wait for Apple to acknowledge the issue and plans for the fix.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
Got the same issue. I have feeling this will eventually reduce the overall lifespan of the APP.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Good luck everyone. I've returned mine and back onto my Sonys. I'll revisit airpods if a black version comes and issue is resolved.

pg2324

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
Got the same issue with the Powerbeats Pro. I thought I had a defective pair but after doing some researching, Airpods and Airpods Pro are having the same problem. I'm inclined to believe its a combination of IOS 13.2, the H1 chip and firmware on both earbud brands. We'll just have to wait till Apple fixes the issue if they ever figure it out.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Got the same issue with the Powerbeats Pro. I thought I had a defective pair but after doing some researching, Airpods and Airpods Pro are having the same problem. I'm inclined to believe its a combination of IOS 13.2, the H1 chip and firmware on both earbud brands. We'll just have to wait till Apple fixes the issue if they ever figure it out.
I could believe the same. I've noticed this quirk with the Generation 1, which has the W1, but it seemed to appear in late iOS 12.x to now 13.x. The Generation 2, with H1 and is the same chip in the AirPods Pro, the issue is still existing for me. I've been trying to deduce if just to toss it up to a bug in the existing firmware, iOS software, or a combination of both. If anyone has this problem, then file a bug report or feedback with Apple. They will only look into this issue once they receive enough complaints.
Apple Feedback Assistant

However, this may help some and I can't say that this is a permanent resolve because of there being so many iOS updates, coupled with AirPods firmware releases, in the past few months. This seems to reduce the number of occurrences or eliminate until another iOS, macOS, or AirPods firmware update.

0. Remove AirPods from iCloud linked and Bluetooth devices.
1. Charge case and AirPods to 100%, leave connected to charger, and reset AirPods.
2. Reset Network Settings on all iCloud linked and Bluetooth devices.
3. Reboot all devices.
4. Pair the reset AirPods, while connected to charger, to iCloud linked and Bluetooth devices.
5. Pairing to an iCloud linked device should push the profile to others.
6. Test if problem reoccurs.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
I keep having this issue on my left AirPod, only that I can’t actually play any music or sound to it. I pretty much cannot use noice cancelling at all and the issue persists after many un pairs.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I keep having this issue on my left AirPod, only that I can’t actually play any music or sound to it. I pretty much cannot use noice cancelling at all and the issue persists after many un pairs.
Try steps in the previous post. Removing the profile from the device isn't the same as a hardware reset of the AirPods and the device.

Joey-alt

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
London
I am having the same issues — both iPhone and iPad. The problem occurs with both the left and the right headphone — plus significant and uneven battery drain. I have opted for a return and replace.

IMG_0811.PNG
IMG_0808.PNG
IMG_0809.PNG

IMG_0027.PNG

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Might be helpful for those that post, if you experience the issue...

Do both headphones work if you go ahead and use them?
Does the red exclamation marked one, not work?

Seems there is a mix here of people that get the red exclamation but their headphones work anyways or one doesn't...

For me, I experience the issue, but ignoring it, both headphones work fine.

Last edited:

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Might be helpful for those that post, if you experience the issue...

Do both headphones work if you go ahead and use them?
Does the red exclamation marked one, not work?

Seems there is a mix here of people that get the red exclamation but their headphones work anyways or one doesn't...

For me, I experience the issue, but ignoring it, both headphones work fine.

Most often it connects, sometimes after a few seconds, but sometimes never unless I insert buds into case, close case, and remove them.

If the red exclamation point is showing, the affected bud is not connected. That's how I originally discovered the issue. I put the buds on, and nothing coming from right earbud.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
It seems to me to be a software bug with the battery level reporting. I have seen red exclamation occasionally, but more commonly a big battery level difference between left and right. It can go from showing they are within a percent of each other to 20-30%+ difference. Currently it is showing a 40% difference, but it is also reporting that one of them is still charging from the case... when it is in my ear! So seems like a software reporting bug.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
It seems to me to be a software bug with the battery level reporting. I have seen red exclamation occasionally, but more commonly a big battery level difference between left and right. It can go from showing they are within a percent of each other to 20-30%+ difference. Currently it is showing a 40% difference, but it is also reporting that one of them is still charging from the case... when it is in my ear! So seems like a software reporting bug.

Maybe so, but when the red ! is there, no sound or NR comes through the affected bud.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am wondering how fragile this Pro's are. I had both the gen 1 and gen 2's and didn't hear much about other people's hardware failures. Seems as if a few people have having hardware breakdowns with the pro's.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
I'm super disapointed- my new airpods pro are a total fail- all the problems above and crazy pairing issues - its like 2007 bluetooth with mine - left pod doesn't work.... have done everything mentioned above and been troubleshooting for an hour and still can not get the fit test - what a **** show Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.