Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Search the App Store for "dead pixel" and download the tester. Put it on a red background and analyse the screen closely. You will find that your XS Max has at least 1 (but in most cases more than 1) dead pixels on the display (look extra closely because these screens have a huge pixel density). This started out with my first purchase of the XS Max but after purchasing an additional 9 phones I quickly have realised that this must be the case with all of them. It's a shame that Apple doesn't seem to have its OLED manufacturing up to scratch. Hopefully they get it right next year. I have returned all but one and I will keep it despite the dead pixels.

HOTBOBA

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
The panels are made by Samsung. Mine is dead pixel free. Though I will agree that they have QC issues given the number of times I had to swap mine out.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
The panels are made by Samsung. Mine is dead pixel free. Though I will agree that they have QC issues given the number of times I had to swap mine out.

I can absolutely guarantee you that yours has at least one dead pixel. 10 phones exhibiting the same behaviour is not coincidence, it's part of the manufacturing process.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Does it really matter then?

Yes! If my old 5S and $50 android phone are dead pixel free then Apple should strive for the same standard but it looks like QC has become less of a priority as time goes on. Especially given these panels are OLED there should be no dead pixels due to the technology!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
these pixels can't be seen form standard viewing distance, you have to look SUPER close!

But, who actually does this? Who puts their phone ‘super close’ to their face looking for dead pixels? I’m willing to believe the majority of iPhone Max’s manufactured is perfectly fine. It’s just there is a select few on sites like this that are overly pedantic looking for issues, that really aren’t issues.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I cant see any dead pixels on mine.
However, Im not downloading an app and specially searching for any dead pixels either - it'll only bug me later down the line.
For my normal day-today usage I see no dead pixels and I'm happy to keep using it the way I am.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If that's the case, congrats. You're incredibly lucky by my statistics .

Just to clarify, these pixels can't be seen form standard viewing distance, you have to look SUPER close!
Have you tested a few hundred thousand Xs max phones? Apple have sold millions of these devices so you would need to test a lot to come to your conclusions.
[doublepost=1549019892][/doublepost]
If that's the case, congrats. You're incredibly lucky by my statistics .

Just to clarify, these pixels can't be seen form standard viewing distance, you have to look SUPER close!
Have you tested a few hundred thousand Xs max phones? Apple have sold millions of these devices so you would need to test a lot to come to your conclusions.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I cant see any dead pixels on mine.
However, Im not downloading an app and specially searching for any dead pixels either - it'll only bug me later down the line.
For my normal day-today usage I see no dead pixels and I'm happy to keep using it the way I am.

Exactly. Not with the stress. If you can’t see it in every day use, no use in putting in effort to uncover a problem.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If you're perched precariously on your toilet seat, craning your neck to take a peek at your neighbour's house through your small bathroom window, you'll eventually see something that will surprise you.

Similarly if you go out of your way to find problems with a device, you'll probably find them.

If you can't see a problem with normal use, then frankly there isn't a problem. But hey, don't let me stop your fun. Also remember to download a battery app and panic when its "health" drops from 100% to 99%, or God forbid, 98%. You'll have a great time worrying about that too.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes! If my old 5S and $50 android phone are dead pixel free then Apple should strive for the same standard but it looks like QC has become less of a priority as time goes on. Especially given these panels are OLED there should be no dead pixels due to the technology!
This does t track. Anecdotally 10 maxes have dead pixels but one 5s and $50 android phone don’t?

Your point is Samsung has lousy qa?

Reactions: DevinNj

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
It's a shame that Apple doesn't seem to have its OLED manufacturing up to scratch. Hopefully they get it right next year. I have returned all but one and I will keep it despite the dead pixels.

To your credit, you did have defective iPhones and you rightfully exchanged them in my opinion. Even if a dead pixel would not really be a big deal. As you have probably established by now however, not all iPhones have dead pixels. Are you still planning on keeping yours?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
No dead pixels here, I looked carefully and closely.. then had my co-worker look... Then another co-worker came over with a magnifying glass and looked it over. Sorry your 10 phone out of Millions sold test is a little faulty.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and DevinNj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.