Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
You’re right they could be sub pixels or groups of pixels. I have seen varying levels of size and severity across the phones.

The really small ones do not appear on camera with a standard lens so it’s going to be hard for anyone to share their screen. But I’d be quite confident in saying most of these XS max’es have some amount of faulty/dead pixels or sub pixels.

If you can’t see them and say your screen is perfect then good for you. I am simply informing of an issue that does exist.

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
Apple can't have it both ways and they bring this level of scrutiny on themselves. The bald guy blathers on every keynote how he is an absolute genius in manufacturing, attention to detail and quality. They shouldn't act oh so shocked when someone calls something out.
You didn’t read a single post in this thread before commenting, did you?

Oh, and the bald guy is dead.
[doublepost=1550148601][/doublepost]
Made by Samsung to Apple's specs. If Apple's specs say 1 dead pixel is ok, that is on Apple. Apple was likely too cheap to pay for zero dead pixel supply of screens.

Congratulations. This might be the dumbest thing I’ve read all year. It’s only February, but still.

Minimalist00

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
This seems like a veiled advertisement. The guy says something provocative to get everyone in a frenzy, and no one has even mentioned that the first step is to go download an app.

My bet is that OP is Sergey Vasilevkin, the developer of the app he specifies, and you all downloaded. I’d be very wary, and stop taking the bait that he’s clearly putting down.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Search the App Store for "dead pixel" and download the tester. Put it on a red background and analyse the screen closely. You will find that your XS Max has at least 1 (but in most cases more than 1) dead pixels on the display (look extra closely because these screens have a huge pixel density). This started out with my first purchase of the XS Max but after purchasing an additional 9 phones I quickly have realised that this must be the case with all of them. It's a shame that Apple doesn't seem to have its OLED manufacturing up to scratch. Hopefully they get it right next year. I have returned all but one and I will keep it despite the dead pixels.

Sorry, not all have dead pixels

Reactions: newellj

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Congratulations. This might be the dumbest thing I’ve read all year. It’s only February, but still.

Not necessarily re: Apple not paying for premium panels. Panels are graded A+ downward. It's absolutely possible Apple cheaped out and paid for A- grade panels. Which would support complaints of uneven displays, tints, significant color shift, and dead / stuck pixels. They may be OK with getting panels cut further away from the center of the giant (OLED) sheet, which leads to the nasty pink color shift or tinted ears beside the notch. Most people couldn't care less, Apple saves money, Apple wins. Not saying it's fact, but it is completely possible.

Re: the rest of this thread, LOL. Red screens will still hide stuck sub pixels. Dead pixels will be dead black on all colors except black. The proper test for those who really care is to start with a solid white background. Then test RGB backgrounds, and even black backgrounds if you want to go crazy and look for bright sub pixels.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My bet is that OP is Sergey Vasilevkin, the developer of the app he specifies, and you all downloaded.

I can guarantee you I (And others) _don’t_ download any apps someone just suggests to look for ‘dead pixels’. I don’t need an app to do that, I can easily look at my phone ‘normally’ without having to put the display right in front of my face. Consumers don’t look for dead pixels, they use their phones normally, for those on here that look for defects like this, that’s an extreme measure.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Out of all the iPhones I’ve purchased I’ve only had one with a dead pixel. It was a 6S and I didn’t need to download an app to locate it as it was noticeable during regular use. Took it to the apple store and they replaced the screen for free since it was under one year warranty.

My max does not have one.

Reactions: Jetcat3

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
Re: the rest of this thread, LOL. Red screens will still hide stuck sub pixels. Dead pixels will be dead black on all colors except black. The proper test for those who really care is to start with a solid white background. Then test RGB backgrounds, and even black backgrounds if you want to go crazy and look for bright sub pixels.

Let me get this straight. In order to detect these issues with our phones, undetectable by normal usage, it’s still not enough to download an app for the sole purpose of testing and discovering this otherwise invisible visual problem—we should conduct a multiphase test through every color until we find one that shows a problem pixel? You don’t see how ridiculous this is?

Reactions: HEK

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Let me get this straight. In order to detect these issues with our phones, undetectable by normal usage, it’s still not enough to download an app for the sole purpose of testing and discovering this otherwise invisible visual problem—we should conduct a multiphase test through every color until we find one that shows a problem pixel? You don’t see how ridiculous this is?

It's ridiculous to download an app. My point was simply that you don't need an app. Just throw up solid colored screens if you care enough to check for pixels. It's ridiculous that OP created a thread stating some red screen on some app can detect stuck pixels, when in fact stuck (sub)pixels can be stuck red, which defeats the entire purpose of said app.

Why do people care so much about what others do with their phones? Someone wants to exchange 16 iPhones, Apple allows it, go ahead, how does it affect anyone? Some people with legitimate OCD want to check their $1000+ screen for dead pixels, so what? Some people feel it's ridiculous to not check their $1000 devices for defects out of the box. To each his own.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
[QUOTE="jlp2979, post: 27097774,

Why do people care so much about what others do with their phones? Someone wants to exchange 16 iPhones, Apple allows it, go ahead, how does it affect anyone?[/QUOTE]

Oh, just a guess but business 101 class they mentioned adding in price increase for everyone on next product due to unreasonable return costs?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Oh, just a guess but business 101 class they mentioned adding in price increase for everyone on next product due to unreasonable return costs?

OK, proof that price increases (at Apple) are due to returns?

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
You’re right they could be sub pixels or groups of pixels. I have seen varying levels of size and severity across the phones.

The really small ones do not appear on camera with a standard lens so it’s going to be hard for anyone to share their screen. But I’d be quite confident in saying most of these XS max’es have some amount of faulty/dead pixels or sub pixels.

If you can’t see them and say your screen is perfect then good for you. I am simply informing of an issue that does exist.
The point is, if it’s a visual thing but it’s invisible, then it isn’t really an issue.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

No one outside Apple has access to that data. The proof you're requesting is impossible to provide.

But to suggest that returns cost Apple nothing is just silly. And to further suggest that Apple eats that cost out of the goodness of their own hearts is equally absurd. I couldn't begin to guess the cost that might be added to the products to cover their losses on returns, but I'd bet good money it's not $0.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Restricted from saying. Last time was at board meeting and Apple CFO consulted with me, I signed confidentiality agreement.

I can say that broadly speaking all companies take into consideration all cost impacts regarding target pricing of products and services. No single factor over rules any others. No costs are ignored.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
No one outside Apple has access to that data. The proof you're requesting is impossible to provide.

But to suggest that returns cost Apple nothing is just silly. And to further suggest that Apple eats that cost out of the goodness of their own hearts is equally absurd. I couldn't begin to guess the cost that might be added to the products to cover their losses on returns, but I'd bet good money it's not $0.

Nowhere have I ever stated that returns cost Apple nothing. I was simply responding to the comment stating that prices go up because of returns, which as you agree can't be proven right now. RAM prices, nVidia GPUs, Intel 9th gen 8 core processors, Google phones, soon to be released Samsung phones...they aren't more expensive due to excessive returns. I would argue same applies to Apple products, there is no proof on either side of the discussion.

Restricted from saying. Last time was at board meeting and Apple CFO consulted with me, I signed confidentiality agreement.

I can say that broadly speaking all companies take into consideration all cost impacts regarding target pricing of products and services. No single factor over rules any others. No costs are ignored.

Fair enough. Until I see proof, my comment / opinion above stands in my mind. Prices aren't going up on almost everything tech related because of return costs. There are two types of people though. Those who like to serially "try out a product" and return it. And those who get unlucky and find legitimate defects on multiple devices. The former class of consumers should be the ones Apple goes after. Not a popular opinion, but I am all for Apple implementing a restocking fee on all returned products that aren't defective.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
There are two types of people though. Those who like to serially "try out a product" and return it.

Now that is absolutely true. I recall many years ago working at a Circuit City. We had an elderly couple who liked to shop there. She was deaf, he was blind. They were a cute couple. The only problem was they would buy a new stereo, keep it 29 days, then return it and maybe pick up a new computer. Sure enough, they'd be back 29 days later to return that computer for some other toy. After about 6 months of this, the manager finally traded their item, sold them the new one, then asked them never to return. They were just costing the company too much money. Some people either don't understand the purpose of a return policy or just don't care.

Reactions: Harthag

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Don't need an app. to do this. All you need to do is create one image that's just white and one image that's just black. Make both the resolution of the Xs Max's screen get them on your Max, then view them full screen at max brightness. You should be able to see any dead / stuck pixel on either the all white or all black background.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Just got my new XS Max this week, and remembered reading this thread. I performed the screen tests on max brightness: no dead pixels here. Clearly, based on my experience and that of others, OP's premise was a bit flawed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.