Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can absolutely guarantee you that yours has at least one dead pixel. 10 phones exhibiting the same behaviour is not coincidence, it's part of the manufacturing process.

You absolutely cannot make any such guarantee.
[doublepost=1549040550][/doublepost]
If that's the case, congrats. You're incredibly lucky by my statistics .

Just to clarify, these pixels can't be seen form standard viewing distance, you have to look SUPER close!

Your "statistics" are at best an uninformed guess based on a statistically irrelevant sample.

In any case, if it's true for YOUR phone, return it. It's that easy.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Same person who complains about a single dead pixel on their iPhone probably has bright patches on their TV, wears socks with holes in them, has leaks in their car...

On one hand, it's impressive that Apple has trained the consumer to expect perfection from them.
On the other hand, isn't life too short to get hung up on things like this?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Just gave mine a very careful check. No dead or stuck pixels on my Max.

IRL, no one would ever go into production with displays that had a 100% defect rate.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Just gave mine a very careful check. No dead or stuck pixels on my Max.

IRL, no one would ever go into production with displays that had a 100% defect rate.

Same. No dead pixels either! Just glorious colors. My gosh this is a beautiful display!

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Without that app I don’t see any dead pixels.
Why would I try to find something wrong? These are the same people that return their phone 16 times because they saw something under the microscope.

Reactions: HEK

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Nope. No Dead pixels on my phone. You're manufacturing a problem you can't even see. Go outside. Go to a park. Date a pretty woman. Enjoy life. Good luck.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple can't have it both ways and they bring this level of scrutiny on themselves. The bald guy blathers on every keynote how he is an absolute genius in manufacturing, attention to detail and quality. They shouldn't act oh so shocked when someone calls something out.

Goompa

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
Most people in this forum won’t accept the fact that there are some problems with idevices, they will even tell you that they don’t care about it.
Others will complain and make a fuss of it.

Maybe we should make a recommendation: to have 2 taps for these kind of opinions?

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Nope, none, nil, zero..............Wait a minute there might just be..........nope, just saw it's legs move.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
When checking, ensure you have it on the red background, max brightness m and look extra close. These are extremely difficult to see and appear as light neon blue pixels when on a white background.

I’d put a lot of money on every single one of your phones having one. It’s just whether you take the time to notice. As I said, I’m keeping mine as they can’t be seen in day to day use!

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
10 phones exhibiting the same behaviour is not coincidence...

Or those 10 phones were all manufactured at the same time, with the same defect and they arrived at the store in the same shipment. So it could just be a bad batch. Or one of many other explanations.

I can't speak to the QA process for iPhone screens. But I did a similar job a lifetime ago. We didn't check every single thing we produced as that would have increased the man-hours needs by hundreds of people (and would have made that $500 printer more like $500,000). We took hourly samples and tested those. If something was more touchy, we would watch it more often. If things looked good at 7am and things looked good at 8am, we assumed everything in between was good as well unless we heard differently. I'm quite sure bad ones slipped through. But a balance has to be struck between perfection and cost. You might think that every single screen produced should be perfect. But I bet you couldn't afford one if they actually did that.

It's entirely possible you're drawing incorrect conclusions based on bad sample data.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I've often wondered if people who are this obsessed with their "expensive" purchase of a phone do the same with a new car (or other purchases)?

Let's say I spend $40,000 on a new car (clearly more than a phone), should I open the trunk, pull up the carpet to get to the spare tire and see if there is any dust underneath that spare tire? I mean, c'mon, I spent a lot of money on this car and I deserve a pristine car. Doesn't matter that I am going to drive it and use it. It was defective from the factory, right? Right? Or maybe take out the back seat and check to see if the welding on the joints shows any beads? Should I get a magnifying glass out and check my onboard navigation and entertainment screen to see if there is a dead pixel lurking there?

I guess if I have to download an app and examine the screen with a magnifying glass to find a dead pixel that I would otherwise never notice, well... then I don't really give a rat's ass if it is there.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’d put a lot of money on every single one of your phones having one. It’s just whether you take the time to notice. As I said, I’m keeping mine as they can’t be seen in day to day use!

That bet doesn't work because we can't put a circle around "every single one" of you. But do this: post $5K cash and the first 25 members who upload perfect red screenshots get $200 each.
[doublepost=1549057119][/doublepost]
I've often wondered if people who are this obsessed with their "expensive" purchase of a phone do the same with a new car (or other purchases)?

Let's say I spend $40,000 on a new car (clearly more than a phone), should I open the trunk, pull up the carpet to get to the spare tire and see if there is any dust underneath that spare tire? I mean, c'mon, I spent a lot of money on this car and I deserve a pristine car. Doesn't matter that I am going to drive it and use it. It was defective from the factory, right? Right? Or maybe take out the back seat and check to see if the welding on the joints shows any beads? Should I get a magnifying glass out and check my onboard navigation and entertainment screen to see if there is a dead pixel lurking there?

I guess if I have to download an app and examine the screen with a magnifying glass to find a dead pixel that I would otherwise never notice, well... then I don't really give a rat's ass if it is there.

No motor vehicle - at least none that you can take off the lot for less than $50K - would meet the standards that people at MR expect of mass-produced consumer electronics.
[doublepost=1549058162][/doublepost]Oh, wait. I did find a bunch of dead pixels. It's a big group up at the top of the display. They show up as black, so definitely dead. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’d put a lot of money on every single one of your phones having one. It’s just whether you take the time to notice.

But again, who cares? Why would anyone want to worry about one dead pixel that they can’t even see from normal usage with their phone day-to-day as it is? What you’re doing, is being overly eccentric about looking for defects, that others can’t physically see even if they wanted to, because they don’t know what they’re looking for to begin with.

mrwalleyeman

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2010
Eastern Wa
I just checked mine just for the hell of it, found no dead pixels. then I checked it again after drinking several Vodkas and Redbulls, still no dead pixels even seeing 4 screens. and yes I looked at all four screens really closely. I also had my brother who saw the same four screens after several Vodkas and Redbulls and the four screens he saw didn't have any dead pixels either. So with two people and eight screens on one iPhone XS Max there is definitely and I guarantee there are no dead pixels.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Because I think most car dealerships would not reward such behavior with a response. Apple, on the other hand, works hard to appease its customers, more so than most companies I've ever given my $, and placates these people, much to its own detriment.

Then... Macrumors threads like these get really popular and a lot of attention. Dead pixels on an OLED screen have to be pretty obvious? I have spent hours and hours reading on my iPhone XS Max. I really shouldn't have wasted my time rewarding these sensationalistic outrage threads. :(
[doublepost=1549078384][/doublepost]
If I can't see a dead pixel under normal viewing usage, I am not going to get the electron microscope out and look for one.

Not all iPhone XS Max's have dread pixels.

Amen.
[doublepost=1549078421][/doublepost]
My max doesn't have dead pixels either. But I agree if one needs to go through an extraordinary length to see those pixels, to me anyway, it doesn't matter.

Also Amen.

Have a great weekend folks.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I just checked mine just for the hell of it, found no dead pixels. then I checked it again after drinking several Vodkas and Redbulls, still no dead pixels even seeing 4 screens. and yes I looked at all four screens really closely. I also had my brother who saw the same four screens after several Vodkas and Redbulls and the four screens he saw didn't have any dead pixels either. So with two people and eight screens on one iPhone XS Max there is definitely and I guarantee there are no dead pixels.

did you look at it under a magnifying glass?

Reactions: HEK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.