Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Search the App Store for "dead pixel" and download the tester. Put it on a red background and analyse the screen closely. You will find that your XS Max has at least 1 (but in most cases more than 1) dead pixels on the display (look extra closely because these screens have a huge pixel density). This started out with my first purchase of the XS Max but after purchasing an additional 9 phones I quickly have realised that this must be the case with all of them. It's a shame that Apple doesn't seem to have its OLED manufacturing up to scratch. Hopefully they get it right next year. I have returned all but one and I will keep it despite the dead pixels.
If I have to look "extra closely" on a solid color screen, why the hell, should I give a ****? :rolleyes:

Reactions: HEK

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Because I think most car dealerships would not reward such behavior with a response. Apple, on the other hand, works hard to appease its customers, more so than most companies I've ever given my $, and placates these people, much to its own detriment.

Then... Macrumors threads like these get really popular and a lot of attention. Dead pixels on an OLED screen have to be pretty obvious? I have spent hours and hours reading on my iPhone XS Max. I really shouldn't have wasted my time rewarding these sensationalistic outrage threads. :(
[doublepost=1549078384][/doublepost]

Amen.
[doublepost=1549078421][/doublepost]

Also Amen.

Have a great weekend folks.

Agree. It's easy to complain because Apple itself sets the bar so high. Apple isn't perfect, but overall they try hard and succeed surprisingly often.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
0 dead pixels here. Checked carefully
As for Quality Control it could and should be better

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Agree. It's easy to complain because Apple itself sets the bar so high. Apple isn't perfect, but overall they try hard and succeed surprisingly often.

Looking for Dead pixels doesn’t put Apple in any type of precedent one way the other. Yes, they have high hardware standards, but they shouldn’t be judged for someone looking for dead pixels or dust under the camera lens just for the sake of nitpicking, when anyone can do that with _any_ tech device. That’s what happens when a device like an iPhone is produced in a large mass, there always will be defects. This doesn’t just Apply to Apple, it applies to all smart phone manufacturers.

Reactions: HEK

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
The panels are made by Samsung. Mine is dead pixel free. Though I will agree that they have QC issues given the number of times I had to swap mine out.

Made by Samsung to Apple's specs. If Apple's specs say 1 dead pixel is ok, that is on Apple. Apple was likely too cheap to pay for zero dead pixel supply of screens.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple was likely too cheap to pay for zero dead pixel supply of screens.

I would say this is a Poor assumption. When it comes to that iPhone, Apple isn’t ‘cheap’ with anything, and one of the most expensive components is the OLED panel from Samsung. One thread doesn’t determine millions of iPhone users experiences because someone claims all Max models have ‘Dead Pixels’, when that clearly isn’t true, even from others responses in here.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
if I can't see it with my naked eyes and it doesn't affect my use or the phones performance, then why would I care?

sirghost

Cancelled
Jun 22, 2014
When checking, ensure you have it on the red background, max brightness m and look extra close. These are extremely difficult to see and appear as light neon blue pixels when on a white background.

I’d put a lot of money on every single one of your phones having one. It’s just whether you take the time to notice. As I said, I’m keeping mine as they can’t be seen in day to day use!

So, how much money are you willing to put up since you say “every single phone has at least one dead pixel”

I ask before I go thru the effort of proving you wrong with at least 2 phones as I want the pay off more than just to prove you wrong.

Reactions: newellj

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Mine doesn’t. Even if it did, if you need to specifically download an app and study the screen that carefully then what does it matter?

sirghost

Cancelled
Jun 22, 2014
Mine doesn’t. Even if it did, if you need to specifically download an app and study the screen that carefully then what does it matter?

To me it does not, but if appleincognito is offering money to prove that it does not, I would love to get the free money.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
When checking, ensure you have it on the red background, max brightness m and look extra close. These are extremely difficult to see and appear as light neon blue pixels when on a white background, but you must ensure that you do all of this while standing on your head, holding your breath, with bean curd stuffed in your ears.

I wonder what connection the OP has with the App. This is certainly one way to get people to download a specialty app that they normally wouldn’t waste their time on.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
This is like the guy on the r/iPad subreddit last week that brings his iPad Pro back to Apple to exchange every two weeks and declaring that without a shadow of a doubt that every single iPad Pro LTE made is bent, period, fact, end of statement.

Reactions: SquidRuby

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
When checking, ensure you have it on the red background, max brightness m and look extra close. These are extremely difficult to see and appear as light neon blue pixels when on a white background, but you must ensure that you do all of this while standing on your head, holding your breath, with bean curd stuffed in your ears.

I wonder what connection the OP has with the App. This is certainly one way to get people to download a specialty app that they normally wouldn’t waste their time on.

Well, I do yoga regularly, so headstand thing is a breeze, I just have to figure out how to do bean curd stuff.

I checked in every other way, and couldn't find a dead pixel, this might just the bring this nasty thing out.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
With the PenTile display you probably mean sub pixels, so it will be even less noticeable than usual.

sirghost

Cancelled
Jun 22, 2014
I would say let’s not worry about this any longer until the op puts up the massive amount of cash he said he would give if we where able to find that not all iPhone XS Max had dead pixels.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Search the App Store for "dead pixel" and download the tester. Put it on a red background and analyse the screen closely. You will find that your XS Max has at least 1 (but in most cases more than 1) dead pixels on the display (look extra closely because these screens have a huge pixel density). This started out with my first purchase of the XS Max but after purchasing an additional 9 phones I quickly have realised that this must be the case with all of them. It's a shame that Apple doesn't seem to have its OLED manufacturing up to scratch.

Right, don’t give up searching for that dead pixel. Take extraordinary inspections to find that dead pixel. Never mind that without such efforts you would never see it given the “huge pixel density”.

Go through ten phones if you need to. So what if that increases next iphone’s cost to everyone. That one pixel is critical!

Oh and let’s blame Apple OLED manufacturing, even though they don’t have any. They buy them from Samsung.

Here is an idea, let’s have a super critical inspected iPhone. One that costs ten times regular cost, just for people that demand the perfect phone. That way they can pay $15,000 for their perfect phone even passing under microscopic evaluation. The rest of us will accept that one dead pixel phone for $1,500.

I would never see that one dead pixel in the movie i’m watching. Everyone is happy those demanding absolute perfection pay for it. The rest of us accept normal manufacturing variations.
[doublepost=1549402839][/doublepost]
Yes! If my old 5S and $50 android phone are dead pixel free then Apple should strive for the same standard but it looks like QC has become less of a priority as time goes on. Especially given these panels are OLED there should be no dead pixels due to the technology!
Please provide Apple with your expert manufacturing knowledge and expertise. With your process knowledge with cost effective manufacturing you could revolutionize the industry overnight.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
ah, the old days of rubbing the dead pixel to make it work or using PixelHealer type apps to make it come alive.

I have set different backgrounds for friends that are bother about the bad pixel.

BUT I learned to NEVER tell them about the BLIND SPOT in their vision of each eye.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Made by Samsung to Apple's specs. If Apple's specs say 1 dead pixel is ok, that is on Apple. Apple was likely too cheap to pay for zero dead pixel supply of screens.
LMAO

Who knew this forum was filled with manufacturing engineering experts.

Wow, just wow!
[doublepost=1549404852][/doublepost]
ah, the old days of rubbing the dead pixel to make it work or using PixelHealer type apps to make it come alive.

I have set different backgrounds for friends that are bother about the bad pixel.

BUT I learned to NEVER tell them about the BLIND SPOT in their vision of each eye.
That’s why you shift vision off center when searching for dead pixel. Retina has dead spot where it descends into optic nerve. Good anatomical catch!
[doublepost=1549405303][/doublepost]Offerring 10% off the 10X dead pixel loop when you mention this thread when ordering.

Order your 10X loop today. Don’t be caught thinking you have perfect screen.

Please note one out of hundred loops may only magnify 9.9X.

Last edited:
Reactions: SquidRuby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.