Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I use android for work. I do not think I would ever consider switching for personal use

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I pulled the trigger last december, Lasted a month went back to iphone, then after a month switched back, and haven't looked back. Chances are I'll probably end up back on iPhone at some point, mainly because my pixel won;t connect to my macbook (probably apples end as a factory reset didn't fix the issue (reset was for different reason).

Reactions: mjschabow

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
After about 6 years on iPhone, I switched to Android back in December.
No desire yet to switch back to iPhone.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I may be American, but I love the EU holding Apple accountable. Sounds like there's a chance that they require them to support RCS. If that goes through, hopefully that covers the US too.

Reactions: Chuckeee and jamezr

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I thought about it but it won’t be this year. I got the M2 Pro Mac Mini earlier this year so I’ll wait until that starts to seem slow (probably 4-5 years) and then look at what’s available. It will mean changing desktop, iPad and phone so it’s not cheap.
There is certainly no requirement to get rid of Apple desktop and iPad just because you move to an Android phone. Do not be taken in by another "ecosystem". Enjoy an Android phone and enjoy the Mac Mini and iPad (if you like them). If you absolutely must entrench yourself in another ecosystem, perhaps start with phone and use it for a while to be sure you like Android. If for some strange reason you decide to go back to iOS, it will be cheaper to return or sell just a phone than having to dispose of a phone, a desktop and a tablet.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
There is certainly no requirement to get rid of Apple desktop and iPad just because you move to an Android phone. Do not be taken in by another "ecosystem". Enjoy an Android phone and enjoy the Mac Mini and iPad (if you like them). If you absolutely must entrench yourself in another ecosystem, perhaps start with phone and use it for a while to be sure you like Android. If for some strange reason you decide to go back to iOS, it will be cheaper to return or sell just a phone than having to dispose of a phone, a desktop and a tablet.
I operated like this, iPad + Macbook on one side, Android phone and Windows PC on the other side for years with no issues. Just kept the passwords in sync between Keychain and Chrome, and that was it.

There's very little you lose by not having an iPhone. Calls don't get routed to your iPad or Macbook but that's super rare anyway. You don't get texts shared between devices but honestly that's a non issue. Of course, you cannot use an Apple Watch but I think they're rubbish and I'm with Garmin anyway.

One thing I always do though, is make sure I don't lock myself into some particular standard, especially with Apple.

For example, I'd never buy some media device that can only do AirPlay, like the HomePod or whatever it's called. I make sure they support AirPlay, Chromecast, uPnP, ideally Spotify Connect. This makes it easy to connect using anything.

PS: avoid iCloud too. Don't pay for it and especially don't use it for photos. Use Google Photos if you must, it's far more portable.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
In a household and extended family that predominantly prefers Apple devices, I value the integration far too much to stop using an iphone as my primary phone. I genuinely prefer much of the way iOS functions and love iPbone hardware and build quality.

That being said, I've also generally owned an Android phone as my secondary phone for the past 10 years, usually something made by Google. I've been using a Pixel Fold for the past month and am enjoying the new type of form factor. Realizing that there are just certain functions and apps that I won’t generally use it for helps me not focus on any personal perceived shortcomings and lets me focus on the things it does well.
Every single premium Android device I’ve owned (Samsung, Sony & Huwaei) has had better build quality and longevity than my Apple products so it always confuses me when people cite Apple's build quality as a plus point.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Every single premium Android device I’ve owned (Samsung, Sony & Huwaei) has had better build quality and longevity than my Apple products so it always confuses me when people cite Apple's build quality as a plus point.
They're just slogans, like "iPhone is the most secure phone".

Apple had abysmal security flaws. At one point they messed up the cryptographic certificate validation across their code base, so it affected iOS and the Macs. This is the code that makes sure your banking app connects to your bank's server and not something impersonating it, and that the communication is secret.

It was a stupid goto bug yet Apple didn't have the simplest regression testing in place, to run on the gold release and check that nobody did something dumb. They released it like that, while telling customers they care about their security and they're the best at it.

Look at how hostile they are to Google's software vulnerability team, which is one of the best in the world. Apple is slow to accept, slow to fix. No wonder they're full of 0-days and other crap.

But sure, plenty of people swallow uncritically and then drone their marketing bs about security and privacy.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So your anecdotal experience trumps everything?

I can do that too…I’ve owned far more Apple devices than the some total of all other mobile devices, probably by a factor of 10, and have had more build quality issues with that much smaller sample of non-Apple hardware—and not from a percentage but straight comparison of incidents. Every single Nexus/Pixel I’ve owned, made by everyone from Samsung, LG, Huawei, Motorola and Google themselves had various degrees of build quality issues, inferior parts or defects. Samsung tablet had faulty power button that meant sometimes the device wouldn't power on when pressed or wake up. Pixel Chromebook had a cluster of dead pixels.

But to be clear, I wasn't comparing Apple's build quality to others but rather expressing my personal preference on their design, materials and quality. I like the squared off metal frame, heft (I like that it's heavier with a slab like substantial feel) and flat display.

I'm really enjoying my time using the Pixel Fold but for instance, if anyone tries to objectively claim it's as well put together as an current generation iPhone or Galaxy doesn't understand what they're talking about.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I will no doubt go backward and forward both ways at least once with both android and ios over the course of the next 12 months. Its the same every year, sadly I never learn 🤣

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I do daydream about the iPhone 15 Pro Max, and the amazing hardware going into it, and the slim bezles and flat display. Apple makes super high-end looking / feeling phones, and with the A17 and 8GB RAM it will run so smooth and fluid.

But...then I wake up and realize it runs iOS, ugh. Such a shame that a powerhouse smartphone runs such a crap outdated OS.

Oh well, Pixel 8 Pro or S24 Ultra is it for me next.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I do daydream about the iPhone 15 Pro Max, and the amazing hardware going into it, and the slim bezles and flat display. Apple makes super high-end looking / feeling phones, and with the A17 and 8GB RAM it will run so smooth and fluid.

But...then I wake up and realize it runs iOS, ugh. Such a shame that a powerhouse smartphone runs such a crap outdated OS.

Oh well, Pixel 8 Pro or S24 Ultra is it for me next.
For sure. The iPhone 15 Pro Max looks to be awesome! But I'm in the same boat as you are. I've come to really start loving how Android "just works" (see what I did there?). I have a work iPhone 11 and I fire it up occasionally and I just hate how their notifications work and of course the App Library is terrible. But there are some really positive points to Apple as well, so it's always a tough internal debate for me.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So your anecdotal experience trumps everything?

I can do that too…I’ve owned far more Apple devices than the some total of all other mobile devices, probably by a factor of 10, and have had more build quality issues with that much smaller sample of non-Apple hardware—and not from a percentage but straight comparison of incidents. Every single Nexus/Pixel I’ve owned, made by everyone from Samsung, LG, Huawei, Motorola and Google themselves had various degrees of build quality issues, inferior parts or defects. Samsung tablet had faulty power button that meant sometimes the device wouldn't power on when pressed or wake up. Pixel Chromebook had a cluster of dead pixels.

But to be clear, I wasn't comparing Apple's build quality to others but rather expressing my personal preference on their design, materials and quality. I like the squared off metal frame, heft (I like that it's heavier with a slab like substantial feel) and flat display.

I'm really enjoying my time using the Pixel Fold but for instance, if anyone tries to objectively claim it's as well put together as an current generation iPhone or Galaxy doesn't understand what they're talking about.
It isn't anecdotal so far as I'm concerned, I base my future purchases upon my experiences but yeah I hear you. Apple products feel hefty and premium, nice slabs of metal & glass that feel good in the hand but they often have loose, cheap-feeling buttons which massively lets down the premium vibe.

I know that you're going to come back to me saying that every last one of your Apple devices have had super tight, Rolls Royce standard buttons but it just hasn't been my experience sadly. Some have, don't get me wrong, but the only devices I've had problems with in recent memory have been made by Apple. Loose buttons, wobbly charge ports, failed screens, faulty screens, updates that killed the phone (iPhone 4) and updates that decimated battery life - all these issues have come my way courtesy of Apple over the years. For me Samsung has better build quality. I can buy their products with total confidence but that confidence isn't there when I buy Apple. Obviously YMMV.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
For example, I'd never buy some media device that can only do AirPlay, like the HomePod or whatever it's called. I make sure they support AirPlay, Chromecast, uPnP, ideally Spotify Connect. This makes it easy to connect using anything.

Do you have WiFi speakers? What do you use?

I use Sonos. I mostly like it and it supports Airplay, Spotify Connect, UPnP, and lots of services within it's own app. But a bit irritating that it doesn't support Chromecast.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Do you have WiFi speakers? What do you use?

I use Sonos. I mostly like it and it supports Airplay, Spotify Connect, UPnP, and lots of services within it's own app. But a bit irritating that it doesn't support Chromecast.
Sonos is ok, we have a Sonos speaker for the kids. In the kitchen we use a Naim Mu-so.

Otherwise I have several big systems, with Lyngdorf (supports everything), Denon and other devices. We use uPnP (a lot of the music ripped on the local NAS), or CD/BluRay/SACD, or Spotify, and they all support Spotify Connect. If needed, I have a couple of Audio Chromecasts (the little pucks with line/optical out) so I can convert anything to audio Chromecast support.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It isn't anecdotal so far as I'm concerned, I base my future purchases upon my experiences but yeah I hear you. Apple products feel hefty and premium, nice slabs of metal & glass that feel good in the hand but they often have loose, cheap-feeling buttons which massively lets down the premium vibe.

I know that you're going to come back to me saying that every last one of your Apple devices have had super tight, Rolls Royce standard buttons but it just hasn't been my experience sadly. Some have, don't get me wrong, but the only devices I've had problems with in recent memory have been made by Apple. Loose buttons, wobbly charge ports, failed screens, faulty screens, updates that killed the phone (iPhone 4) and updates that decimated battery life - all these issues have come my way courtesy of Apple over the years. For me Samsung has better build quality. I can buy their products with total confidence but that confidence isn't there when I buy Apple. Obviously YMMV.

Nothing’s perfect, including my Apple hardware but in the same way you’ve found Samsung devices to be rock solid, Apple’s hardware has been very consistent for me, and is a big reason why I keep buying them. The last quality related issue was my wife’s 12” Macbook’s keyboard, an admitted known quality issue, a few years back. Otherwise, the only interaction I’ve had with Apple’s support is for a few repairs (broken screens on kid’s phones and my iPad Pro) and pair of battery replacements (reduced capacity after about 2.5-3 years of heavy use by my teenagers). But as you accurately pointed out, this will vary between all of us.

Reactions: sunking101

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Only the Pixel Fold could tempt me away from an iPhone currently; and I don't think it's up to par yet. So maybe the 2nd reiteration... More so as I don't really need a foldable as I've got an iPad; but need an iPhone as I have an AWU

None of Samsung's devices appeal to me at all; I lasted a fortnight with the S23U and couldn't wait to get back to the IP14PM

My Pixel 4XL does a superb job as my business handset (the Samsung A53 5G was getting more & more useless so shoved it in my bottom drawer) and for me it's still a superb phone

Currently there's no benefit for me to switch to Android permanently; so I'll stick with what I've got for now

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
This year I have owned pixel 7 pro, s23 ultra and now Honor Magic 5 Pro

After a couple of weeks of use have always gone back to the trusty 11 pro Max. There are too many compromises in most android phones, although the Honor Magic 5 Pro has been the best I’ve used this year.

Back to my 11 PM for now. I probably won’t get the 15 PM because of the stupendously high price, so I’ll be watching what pixel 8 pro has in store.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Tim Cook on Tuesday: "We are proud to announce that we are the first to have created USB C!"

LOL yep.

Also we have the thinnest bezels ever on a smartphone, which will transform your life in ways unimaginable

Thin bezels, who ***** cares.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The one comforting thing if I choose to stay on Android/Samsung is that if I choose to upgrade to the S24 Ultra, I'm getting value for the money I'm spending. I'll get a free storage upgrade and enough preorder bonus dollars to ensure I'll get a free case or two and possibly another accessory. If the 15 Pro Max is $1299 for 256gb, then I'm also going to have to spend $60 on a case, and then if they screw us over and require us to get their brand if USB C cable for fast charging, then I'm sure that's another $50 minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.