Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This year I have owned pixel 7 pro, s23 ultra and now Honor Magic 5 Pro

After a couple of weeks of use have always gone back to the trusty 11 pro Max. There are too many compromises in most android phones, although the Honor Magic 5 Pro has been the best I’ve used this year.

Back to my 11 PM for now. I probably won’t get the 15 PM because of the stupendously high price, so I’ll be watching what pixel 8 pro has in store.
Why would there be any fewer "compromises" with the Pixel 8 Pro? It will still be running Android and you've proven to yourself countless times that you prefer iOS over Android...

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Tried that last year. I tried out S22 Ultra for a month. WEnt back to Iphone. Maybe a different Android flagship might have been a different experience. But I felt I wasted $1100 on that S22 Ultra. I took a huge loss trading it for $305 credit to get an Iphone 14 PM. But I couldn't stand living with that S22 Ultra as a daily driver. I already laid out why in different thread so no need to rehash it. But yeah. I probably won't go back to an Android phone anytime soon. I won't say never, because that usually comes back and bites me. But highly unlikely.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Tried that last year. I tried out S22 Ultra for a month. WEnt back to Iphone. Maybe a different Android flagship might have been a different experience. But I felt I wasted $1100 on that S22 Ultra. I took a huge loss trading it for $305 credit to get an Iphone 14 PM. But I couldn't stand living with that S22 Ultra as a daily driver. I already laid out why in different thread so no need to rehash it. But yeah. I probably won't go back to an Android phone anytime soon. I won't say never, because that usually comes back and bites me. But highly unlikely.

If your mostly an iPhone user, I think the best comparable Android phone is hands down a Pixel.

I would try Android again if I were you, with the upcoming Pixel 8 Pro, stock Android is just so much better than Lagwiz ( sorry One UI ) on Samsung's phones.

And from what I read, the S23 Ultra is actually a pretty big update over the S22U due to the way better internal hardware on the S23 and One UI 5.1

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
If your mostly an iPhone user, I think the best comparable Android phone is hands down a Pixel.

I would try Android again if I were you, with the upcoming Pixel 8 Pro, stock Android is just so much better than Lagwiz ( sorry One UI ) on Samsung's phones.

And from what I read, the S23 Ultra is actually a pretty big update over the S22U due to the way better internal hardware on the S23 and One UI 5.1
I use a lot of Samsung's features and find stock Android kinda boring,

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I use a lot of Samsung's features and find stock Android kinda boring,

I could see that, as much as I love the Pixel line, it is a bit too minimalist and lacking customization. I wish there were more settings options, and more default theming allowed.

Reactions: sunking101

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
LOL yep.

Also we have the thinnest bezels ever on a smartphone, which will transform your life in ways unimaginable

Thin bezels, who ***** cares.
Well, go read through the Pixel Fold thread and you'd think the 'huge' bezels on its inside display was akin to the end of the world vs. other foldables. 😂

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Sonos is ok, we have a Sonos speaker for the kids. In the kitchen we use a Naim Mu-so.

Otherwise I have several big systems, with Lyngdorf (supports everything), Denon and other devices. We use uPnP (a lot of the music ripped on the local NAS), or CD/BluRay/SACD, or Spotify, and they all support Spotify Connect. If needed, I have a couple of Audio Chromecasts (the little pucks with line/optical out) so I can convert anything to audio Chromecast support.
Thanks.

Just took a look at Naim Mu-so. Looks good, although seems to be a much higher price bracket than Sonos. I can't see any wireless speakers in Lyngdorf range. If they need to be wired to an external amp or AV receiver I'd consider that a different type of system. Looking at current Denon wireless speakers (Denon Home range), I don't see mention of chromecast built-in.

Regarding adding Chromecast via the old chromecast audio streamers - yeah they can be achieved with Sonos too. But in your original comment I thought you meant you only get devices with Chromecast built-in. Getting entirely wireless speakers which support all of Airplay, Chromecast built-in, and UnPnP, is what seems difficult to me, especially in the Sonos price range ($150 - $450). Chromecast built-in often seems to be left out.

Last edited:

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Thanks.

Just took a look at Naim Mu-so. Looks good, although seems to be a much higher price bracket than Sonos. I can't see any wireless speakers in Lyngdorf range. If they need to be wired to an external amp or AV receiver I'd consider that a different type of system. Looking at current Denon wireless speakers (Denon Home range), I don't see mention of chromecast built-in.

Regarding adding Chromecast via the old chromecast audio streamers - yeah they can be achieved with Sonos too. But in your original comment I thought you meant you only get devices with Chromecast built-in. Getting entirely wireless speakers which support all of Airplay, Chromecast built-in, and UnPnP, is what seems difficult to me, especially in the Sonos price range ($150 - $450). Chromecast built-in often seems to be left out.
I didn't want to make this about Chromecast, but about not being locked into AirPlay. We don't have that many wireless speakers, just regular AV Receiver - speaker combos, sometimes with some amps or power amps in between.

Off the top of my head, the Naim (smart speaker) and the Lyngdorf (integrated amp) do native Chromecast. I have two audio pucks and I use only one, it's plugged into an Electrocompaniet (also integrated amp), so my wife can Spotify directly into it (she has a Pixel phone).

The Denons are AV receivers, one is a 8500HA and the other is a 4700H. They don't have Chromecast but they're fairly open in terms of streaming capability, uPnP, AirPlay, Spotify included.

But otherwise we're as multi-platform as we can. Of course it's not always possible or feasible to get stuff that supports everything.

In any case, being locked into AirPlay is a terrible idea from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozaz

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Hell no. I love that iOS has iMessage and Facetime and doesn't need third party apps to do what these fantastic apps do. Add the fact that Android is from one of the biggest data vacuum companies on the planet, software updates are often via each manufacturer and, in my opinion, you end up with a clunky piece of software that tries to do a lot and none of it is done as cleanly as iOS.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Hell no. I love that iOS has iMessage and Facetime and doesn't need third party apps to do what these fantastic apps do. Add the fact that Android is from one of the biggest data vacuum companies on the planet, software updates are often via each manufacturer and, in my opinion, you end up with a clunky piece of software that tries to do a lot and none of it is done as cleanly as iOS.
Signed - Tim Cook

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Signed - Tim Cook
HAHAHAHA I say it as I see it. I was always a Nokia kid, I adored the way I could send messages on my candybar with my eyes closed on the S40 software, though I always found myself liking the idea of phones that could do more. I remember trying an early Windows phone, and that lasted about a week. Then I got an iPhone 3G, and loved it. At one point, again, I wanted to try something different and got a Samsung Galaxy S3. Just unpacking it and holding it compared to the 3G felt like I was holding something hideously cheap and nasty. That thing lasted about a month. I think it's easy to forget how great a piece of kit iPhone's are after using them for a long time because it's easy to take the hardware and software combo for granted.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
HAHAHAHA I say it as I see it. I was always a Nokia kid, I adored the way I could send messages on my candybar with my eyes closed on the S40 software, though I always found myself liking the idea of phones that could do more. I remember trying an early Windows phone, and that lasted about a week. Then I got an iPhone 3G, and loved it. At one point, again, I wanted to try something different and got a Samsung Galaxy S3. Just unpacking it and holding it compared to the 3G felt like I was holding something hideously cheap and nasty. That thing lasted about a month. I think it's easy to forget how great a piece of kit iPhone's are after using them for a long time because it's easy to take the hardware and software combo for granted.
I will say, I had a similar experience after switching from the Galaxy S4 to the iPhone 5s. I was floored by how stable iOS was in comparison to Android. The gap has definitely closed now though. In reality, both are good and more similar than people think at this point.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
You know, I quite like my iPhone, because it's a polished experience. But I also use on a daily basis a Samsung Flip 4 and I like that too, it's not quite as polished but almost there and it does some things better. To begin with, awesome battery life!

The two things I basically never use and never care about on the iPhone are ... drum roll ... iMessage and FaceTime 😂

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

iMessage is just another text app, nothing special. And Facetime? Who cares, there's other apps that do video chat just as well.

Apple needs to stop being douches and include RCS into the iMessage code to allow it to work well cross platform, but they purposely don't because they like people locked into the walled garden.

We've been using Google Messages app for years, and since RCS was introduced few years ago, it works just like iMessage with my family and friends who mostly have Pixel phones. High res photos. See people typing before they send a text. And it works very reliable.

I never saw the big deal with iMessage

In my circle of family, friends, and coworkers, it's probably 60% Android / 40% iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boeingfan

Groking

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
I'm considering it, only because I'm getting tired of Apple withholding the latest standards in the name of paid upgrades to a new device.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
iMessage is just another text app, nothing special. And Facetime? Who cares, there's other apps that do video chat just as well.

Apple needs to stop being douches and include RCS into the iMessage code to allow it to work well cross platform, but they purposely don't because they like people locked into the walled garden.

We've been using Google Messages app for years, and since RCS was introduced few years ago, it works just like iMessage with my family and friends who mostly have Pixel phones. High res photos. See people typing before they send a text. And it works very reliable.

In my circle of family, friends, and coworkers, it's probably 60% Android / 40% iPhone.
You’ve reiterated the exact point I was making, but in reverse; “…just another text app” and, “Who cares, there’s other apps…”

My point is that I find iMessage and FaceTime perfectly capable, meaning I don’t need other apps, as the ones that come built in work great.

It makes sense you don’t care for iMessage given most of your network use Android, and you like to see when someone is replying, which standard SMS doesn’t accommodate. That said, ellipses can heighten anxiety for those susceptible to it, much the same as the dopamine addiction to ‘likes’ on social media, so sending an SMS can be refreshing in that you don’t have that information to keep you staring at your phone. It is horses for courses.

And to your question about ‘who cares’, I do, enough to share my thoughts on this topic.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I don't download third party apps either for texts and video chat

Pixel comes with Google Messages and Google Meet by default, and those work perfectly.

Last iPhone I had was the 12 Pro Max and I recall not being impressed by iMessage, it wasn't bad or anything, just nothing special. It seemed like just another text app.

Plus the way iOS works overall with forwarding and certain specific actions I find Android way more useful and beneficial for texting.

Reactions: Boeingfan

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest

iMessage is just another text app, and FaceTime is just another video chat.

Unless most of the people around you are on iMessage and FaceTime and you're not.

I see this with my girls - they spend hours on the phone having FaceTime chats with friends. Even doing homework and study groups via FaceTime. Sure, they could be using any other video chat client, but they don't. The teachers are using Zoom and every kid has it installed on their phone or tablet and using it weekly, but they only use FaceTime for video calls with friends. Anyone with an Android phone is going to feel isolated, not because they would be deliberately avoided, but because it's too much hassle to include them in an unplanned chat. They still use a lot of Snapchat, Instagram and Tik Tok, but FaceTime calls seem to be the main way of collaborating.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

You got taken for, if you only got $305 credit. Where the hell did you trade it in at? Even today, the average resale price is $600+.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
My iPhone 11 is the last of the LCDs as I'm not interested in the smaller SE. I've not been able to use any OLED iPhone due to eye strain so will likely switch to an Android phone in the coming year as there are a lot more options and hopefully, I can find one that is comfortable with my eyes. I don't see that Apple has changed anything with the OLEDs on the 15 series and I'm not certain they ever will as they have little concern with PWM + dithering - they care very little about eye health.

A switch of platform shouldn't be too painful as I just have the iPhone and AirPods Pro 2, but I have been using iOS since the first iPhone then iPad - that's a long run and a lot of muscle memory! Not buying any Chinese state-owned phones though.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Every single premium Android device I’ve owned (Samsung, Sony & Huwaei) has had better build quality and longevity than my Apple products so it always confuses me when people cite Apple's build quality as a plus point.
That's old and outdated. I think both Samsung's and Apple's devices have excellent build quality. Of course Samsung used to use plastic at a time when Apple were using more premium materials, however this hasn't been the case for almost 10 years.

Reactions: iterva

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's old and outdated. I think both Samsung's and Apple's devices have excellent build quality. Of course Samsung used to use plastic at a time when Apple were using more premium materials, however this hasn't been the case for almost 10 years.
Outdated? My current iPad Mini 6 has a cheap-feeling loose and plastic TouchID/power button. Most of the Apple products I've owned have had loose buttons. I expect it and Apple rarely disappoint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.