Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I think about switching every single time I attempt to text a photo to an Android user and I have to jump through hoops to do so.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think about switching every single time I attempt to text a photo to an Android user and I have to jump through hoops to do so.
Yep. If somehow, and yes I know that Apple shares the responsibility, Android could fix the texting issues, I'd probably never look across the isle. But I've had way too many issues with texts not getting received or sent.

I will also acknowledge that many other users of the S23 Ultra that post here have not had those issues, so I might truly have a faulty device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone else in my boat considering the move?
While I've been vocal in mentioning the lack of innovation in iPhones, I'm generally very happy with the iOS platform. It offers so many benefits that I moving off makes zero sense.

If it wasn't for Verizon giving me 830 dollars, I would be staying on the iPhone 12. I don't see anything in the iPhone 15 that would justify my spending 1,200 - 1,500 dollars. Since they offered, I'm taking advantage of that nice promotion

Reactions: jamezr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Why jump through hopes? Don't support Apple anymore for doing this and get an Android phone which has RCS texting, which Apple should absolutely be forced to incorporate into iMessage.

iMessage is just another text app, nothing special whatsoever.

For me, where my family and freinds are 60% Android / 40% iPhone, we use either Telegram or WhatsApp and it works perfectly.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Why jump through hopes? Don't support Apple anymore for doing this and get an Android phone which has RCS texting, which Apple should absolutely be forced to incorporate into iMessage.

iMessage is just another text app, nothing special whatsoever.

For me, where my family and freinds are 60% Android / 40% iPhone, we use either Telegram or WhatsApp and it works perfectly.
The one thing that sucks for me personally is that RCS has been a mess. Missed texts, double texts, etc to the point where I shut it off. I think that might be why Apple hasn't adopted RCS, not because of my issue personally because I don't think I'm that important to them, but probably other people have had similar issues.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The one thing that sucks for me personally is that RCS has been a mess. Missed texts, double texts, etc to the point where I shut it off. I think that might be why Apple hasn't adopted RCS, not because of my issue personally because I don't think I'm that important to them, but probably other people have had similar issues.

Is it RCS to RCS? Cause I have it enabled on my Flip 5, but almost all my incoming texts are not RCS.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Is it RCS to RCS? Cause I have it enabled on my Flip 5, but almost all my incoming texts are not RCS.
It was a mixture. Several different contacts, iPhones, Androids using RCS, Androids not using RCS. I could have had a lemon though, but everything else works fine on the phone.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

I literally never have those issues. Between the 4 of us in my immediate family we all have Pixel phones, and texting with RCS has been flawless, zero problems.

And texting to other family or friends that sadly have an iPhone, I think they get them, because I always get their replies.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I literally never have those issues. Between the 4 of us in my immediate family we all have Pixel phones, and texting with RCS has been flawless, zero problems.

And texting to other family or friends that sadly have an iPhone, I think they get them, because I always get their replies.
I think I truly did get a faulty device.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I didn’t plan on getting the 15, but I am simply tired of the buggy and unpolished iOS updates.

People can brag about iPhones getting 5-6 years of software and security updates, but the caveat is the quality of this updates. Every year it’s the same thing: new iOS, forced questionable UI changes like notifications, even more bugs, and more waiting for Apple to (maybe) fix these issues. It really has ruined the joy of using an iPhone and looking forward to updates.

I’m currently looking at the S23, which has solid hardware features even at the base level. And it seems Android and Samsung’s software has improved a lot

Reactions: jdlindsey7

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
The iPhone 15PM thrashed my eyes and gave me a four-day ocular migraine - horrible.

So now I need to source an Android phone I can use. I would like to go all in with Samsung but don’t read many positive reports from the sensitive eye folk as the PWM is usually just as bad as the iPhones. S23+ or Ultra would be awesome. Hard pass on any Chinese State-owned phones.

Day 1 iPhone user - I will have to unlearn a lot of muscle memory and will miss using my APP2.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Unfortunately I think I will stay with the iPhone, although I really think the Fold 5 looks fun and I was happy with my Fold 2 after thinking it through there’s just too much things I would miss out on by switching. Some are ecosystem things which aren’t as essential like iMessage (which my entire family uses), password sharing with my wife, AirPods Pro 2 integration and so on. Other things are that there’s just better support from third parties for iOS in my region, my credit card (AMEX) cannot be added to use with NFC to pay for things in stores for example, they only support iOS so I’d have to switch cards and figure out all that and there are some other things that are similar to that.

If I would find a lot of use for the large screen it would be another thing but since I work from home most of my usage can easily be accomplished by my iPad Mini as well and for much of it the larger screen, different aspect ratio and scaling is actually better for a lot of that. So the Fold would only be adding a lot while I’m out and about which is less time than when I already have access to my other units.

Guess I have to wait for an Apple foldable.

danpam12358

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
Tried the Pixel and now it sits in my drawer. iPhone feature set and the way it makes my life easier is just beyond what Android can do.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
Over the past few weeks I have been using a pixel and initially it was doing it for me but I started to become a constant battle with apps not performing like I would expect.

The only phone I have is my old iPhone 6s which has a brand new battery, all this is used for is iMessage and phone calls and to be linked to my iPad. Obviously this phone is not getting ios17 and is still on 15 but that’s not a major concern for me.

I still use some google apps on iOS, mainly google photos so I will see how long this lasts but there is no way I am buying the latest greatest peice of tech.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Over the past few weeks I have been using a pixel and initially it was doing it for me but I started to become a constant battle with apps not performing like I would expect.

The only phone I have is my old iPhone 6s which has a brand new battery, all this is used for is iMessage and phone calls and to be linked to my iPad. Obviously this phone is not getting ios17 and is still on 15 but that’s not a major concern for me.

I still use some google apps on iOS, mainly google photos so I will see how long this lasts but there is no way I am buying the latest greatest peice of tech.
With this setup, are you still able to receive text messages and phone calls on your Pixel, or just the iPhone?

Which model Pixel and what issues have you been experiencing? Thanks

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
No, the pixel is switched off and in the drawer for now.

it was a pixel 6a but the issues i was having are sometimes I would not get notifications or be able to access the internet until I done a restart and there was no pattern to it.

it was fully up to date as well with all patches installed. I even don’t a full factory reset but I just said to my self, enough is enough and switched back to iOS.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
No, the pixel is switched off and in the drawer for now.

it was a pixel 6a but the issues i was having are sometimes I would not get notifications or be able to access the internet until I done a restart and there was no pattern to it.

it was fully up to date as well with all patches installed. I even don’t a full factory reset but I just said to my self, enough is enough and switched back to iOS.
Ah okay. I’ve read about the connectivity issues on the Pixel. It’s really a shame that Google struggles with keeping their own phones stable, whereas Samsung does pretty well(from what I’ve read).

How is your 6s’ battery throughout the day? My 7 runs fine but the battery can be hit or miss, even with 87% health. It struggles and loses battery most when web browsing, and I’m not a heavy user.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have 4 Pixels in my household

Pixel 7 Pro is mine
Pixel 5a is my Wife's
Pixel 6 my daughter
Pixel 5 my son

We have never had a text delay issue or things like that not working. We always connect to the network or WiFi without issue on these Pixel's.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I have 4 Pixels in my household

Pixel 7 Pro is mine
Pixel 5a is my Wife's
Pixel 6 my daughter
Pixel 5 my son

We have never had a text delay issue or things like that not working. We always connect to the network or WiFi without issue on these Pixel's.
It’s funny, on the iOS side many people experience random and similar bugs, and lots of people report they don’t have the issue. Just take a look at the other threads on this forum.

I’d hate to be an engineer or qa figuring this out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.