Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpam12358

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
My Pixel 7 Pro has horrendous standby battery life. Not having iMessage, proper visual voicemail, and poor password management is frustrating. I also hate being the loser with green bubbles.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
It’s funny, on the iOS side many people experience random and similar bugs, and lots of people report they don’t have the issue. Just take a look at the other threads on this forum.

I’d hate to be an engineer or qa figuring this out

Not saying there aren't issues with Pixel phones, of course there are. But in my case, the 4 of us in my family must be lucky, because we just aren't having these issues at all.

danpam12358

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
I find Google stupid in how they can’t fix texting. Sending texts should be feature rich with more options. The difference in sending a text on Google phones and iPhones is totally opposite. On iPhone, I get texts immediately and can use all the features like stickers, sending images, PdFs, etc.

On my Pixel 7 Pro, I can’t do any of those things which is why I hate using Google phones. It’s stupid and low tech for dummies.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
My Pixel 7 Pro has horrendous standby battery life. Not having iMessage, proper visual voicemail, and poor password management is frustrating. I also hate being the loser with green bubbles.
Have you tried a factory reset with reinstalling the firmware?

I find Google stupid in how they can’t fix texting. Sending texts should be feature rich with more options. The difference in sending a text on Google phones and iPhones is totally opposite. On iPhone, I get texts immediately and can use all the features like stickers, sending images, PdFs, etc.

On my Pixel 7 Pro, I can’t do any of those things which is why I hate using Google phones. It’s stupid and low tech for dummies.
Texting is done via cellular network, not the OS. iMessage, like WhatsApp, signal, etc., run over the internet. I believe Google has tried to make RCS work, whereas Apple doesn't bc they don’t want to risk losing iPhone users who use iOS for iMessage. They’re a big issue in this.

It’s just a really stupid categorization by the media/society to make green bubbles seem inferior lol. Ffs, I’ve watched my parents pay a lot of money to call back to their home country, struggle with MSN and Skype video calls in the early to late 2000’s. And now people (not you) complain about green bubbles and using other apps to communicate lol. Really says a lot about what’s important in society!

Reactions: Harthag and BMox81

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Not saying there aren't issues with Pixel phones, of course there are. But in my case, the 4 of us in my family must be lucky, because we just aren't having these issues at all.
Yeah it seems to be an issue with all tech. I feel perhaps there is cost cutting on quality assurance.

Anyhow, glad your family’s setup is working well 👍

Reactions: Tig Bitties

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
Ah okay. I’ve read about the connectivity issues on the Pixel. It’s really a shame that Google struggles with keeping their own phones stable, whereas Samsung does pretty well(from what I’ve read).

How is your 6s’ battery throughout the day? My 7 runs fine but the battery can be hit or miss, even with 87% health. It struggles and loses battery most when web browsing, and I’m not a heavy user.
Where do I find the battery health on a pixel. Mine should be 100% because it’s only a few weeks old.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I can't switch after having having held and operated on a few Android phones.

Newer ones like Samsung branded ones and OnePlus .. it's a real tough experience navigating the OS and the feel just isn't right.

The hardware might be top-notch and a newer ROG phone looks hella bling nice.. it's just the software that isn't up to snuff. Tactile feedback and some opposite gestures are foreign to me. It's much like PC's with Windows - some PC's look totally rad and awesome; specs wise and the case. Then comes the other stuff - software.

I of course might get used to it over time. There's just no point for me in switching this late in life.

Currently I'm rocking an iPhone 8 SE (3rd gen) where the battery could be an issue - depending on my use. Usually I have to charge once a day. But I plug in the phone for charging on the odd occasion.

I have however had an Android phone before switching back to an iPhone some years ago. That was a Sony Xperia.
And I've been a PC user for a number of years as well. Now I'm here with a Mac and totally ready to fight for it(okay that's a stretch - I'm as doughy as can come and couldn't hit a fly off its course)

Reactions: Chuckeee

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Just went to Best Buy played around with both the iPhone 15 Pro Max and S23 Ultra.

15 Pro Max = beautiful device very well crafted design and amazing screen and very fluid smooth. But holy cow, there not being a swipe back gesture built into it like Android, Jesus Christmas that was extremely frustrating, like so bad it's almost a deal breaker on not wanting the phone just for that. For 5 minutes I kept putting my thumb on the right side of my screen and swiping it towards the left like I normally do on my Pixel and it doesn't work that way on the iPhone. Ugh :(

Just going into the Phone app or iMessage I would swipe back and instead of taking me back, it would start swiping to delete things. WTF.

And then swiping down on the screen to pull down the notification shade. No not there. There's some strange keyboard that pops up all of a sudden when I swiped down. Like to search for something. WTF is that? Why would swiping down automatically bring up the keyboard, but not pull down my notifications for easier access to interact with? I don't want the keyboard popping up and some bizarre search menu coming up. What the hell would I be searching for on my own phone?

Yes, I love the design of the phone and the screen was beautiful and in the apps themselves they do look very nicely polished and higher quality than Android.

But the way iOS operates and just to move around the UI was extremely frustrating and just not for me whatsoever. I could not deal with it. I would want to return the phone in probably one day out of aggravation and frustration .Unless there's ways to change the gestures and how the phone operates?

No Google News feed panel on the left screen, I am so used to that for years on my Android phones, not having it would be hard to adjust, and yes I can put News widgets on that left screen on the iPhone, but they aren't even remotely close to the Google News Feed.

Again not trying to knock the iPhone and always dog it, I actually did like the device, it was super cool, fast and smooth, and the full screen from top to bottom with little to no bezels is a great look. But the way the UI is so limited and the gestures feel half baked, not sure I could comfortably use an iPhone and be ok with it.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just went to Best Buy played around with both the iPhone 15 Pro Max and S23 Ultra.

15 Pro Max = beautiful device very well crafted design amazing screen and very fluid. But holy cow, there not being a swipe back gesture built into it like Android, Jesus Christmas that was extremely frustrating. For 5 minutes I kept putting my thumb on the right side of my screen and swiping it towards the left like I normally do on my pixel and it doesn't work that way on the iPhone that right there is almost a deal breaker.

Just going into the phone app or iMessage I would swipe back and instead of swiping it would start deleting things or give me these odd options.

And then swiping down on the screen to pull down the notification shade. No not there. There's some strange keyboard that pops up all of a sudden when I swiped down. Like to search for something. WTF is that? Why would swiping down automatically bring up the keyboard but not pull down my notifications for easier access to interact with. I don't want the keyboard popping up and some bizarre search menu coming up. What the hell am I searching for?

Yes, I love the design of the phone and the screen was beautiful and in the apps themselves they do look very nicely polished and higher quality than Android.

But the way iOS operates in just to move around the phone was extremely frustrating and just not for me whatsoever. I could not deal with it. I would want to return the phone and probably one day. Unless there's ways to change the gestures and how the phone operates?
didn't you have an iPhone a couple of years ago? You didn't learn the gesture when you had the iPhone? It hasn't changed....
Here is a video

J.A.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2023
I refuse to upgrade from my 13 until they bring back TouchID. If it comes to the point where the 13 is no longer up to my needs, I will switch to Android and bring along my entire home ecosystem with it.

AFAIC, FaceID on a phone is so poorly suited to the usage of a phone on such a fundamental level that I consider it incredibly ****** design. It's Apple forcing a colossal square peg into a tiny round hole and expecting everyone to celebrate them for it. It goes against why I've preferred Mac over the decades, which is ease of use and functionality with form, instead of either being at the expense of the other.

These days Apple seems to be more about pointless, trivial feature bloat and complexity over function and thinking they know better than everyone else, instead of trying to provide seamless functionality in as straightforward a manner as possible. And I'm very much over it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I refuse to upgrade from my 13 until they bring back TouchID. If it comes to the point where the 13 is no longer up to my needs, I will switch to Android and bring along my entire home ecosystem with it.

AFAIC, FaceID on a phone is so poorly suited to the usage of a phone on such a fundamental level that I consider it incredibly ****** design. It's Apple forcing a colossal square peg into a tiny round hole and expecting everyone to celebrate them for it. It goes against why I've preferred Mac over the decades, which is ease of use and functionality with form, instead of either being at the expense of the other.

These days Apple seems to be more about pointless, trivial feature bloat and complexity over function and thinking they know better than everyone else, instead of trying to provide seamless functionality in as straightforward a manner as possible. And I'm very much over it.
I know I’m going to regret this but, what aspect of FaceID is so off putting? Was the iPhone 13 your first iPhone since the iPhone X first introduced FaceID six years ago?

I find I prefer FaceID over a fingerprint scanner on every device and am jealous its equivalent is available on Windows laptops and not an option on Macs. Also miss it on my Android phone—was such a great feature (Soli) on the Pixel 4XL and wish it was on my Pixel Fold.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
didn't you have an iPhone a couple of years ago? You didn't learn the gesture when you had the iPhone? It hasn't changed....
Here is a video

Thanks. So after watching that, it pretty much confirms I won't be buying an iPhone anytime soon. LOL Those gesture ***** blow. Especially the back gesture how it's the opposite of Android, but only works some of the time, not all the time, and depends on where you are at in the phone or which app. Ugh no thanks. Way too inconsistent and poorly thought out in my opinion.

Rockhouse

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Just went to Best Buy played around with both the iPhone 15 Pro
The iPhone doesn't work as your Android? What a surprise! Two different philosophies.

The "keyboard" that you're complaining about is Spotlight search. I use it all the time to open apps, calling contacts etc. If I want to know what 9 inches is in centimeters it will let me know. Or what the exchange rate is at the moment.

You need to take a step back. So many of your post are iPhone related even though you hate it and don't use it. Many people like iOS and iMessage. Deal with it and be glad that you don't have to use it.

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Been trying to decide what to do, stick with 15 PM or switch to Fold 5 but it is hard but I think I might stick with the iPhone. I been trying to find a reason to get the Fold 5 just because I love foldables and think it is cool but if I am honest with myself the actual use case of a foldable isn’t that great for me since most of my ”bigger screen” usage would be at home while reading. And for that my iPad Mini works great and doesn’t deplete my phones battery, the Folds battery life is also questionable and Samsung support is terrible here.

And if I switched to Android I’d have all the cons that come with that like not being able to use my phone for NFC payments, no FaceID, no built in MagSafe, no Apple Watch, no iMessage/Facetime to family/friends, losing interoperability to things like my iPad/AirPods Pro/Apple TV and so on. For my usage Android in itself doesn’t really offer any pros over iOS.

I am really trying to find something that can motivate the Fold 5 but it just makes me find more cons and no pros except for the emotional side where it is an exciting and cool piece of tech that I think represents where the future is going.

Last edited:
Reactions: danb1979

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Been trying to decide what to do, stick with 15 PM or switch to Fold 5 but it is hard but I think I might stick with the iPhone. I been trying to find a reason to get the Fold 5 just because I love foldables and think it is cool but if I am honest with myself the actual use case of a foldable isn’t that great for me since most of my ”bigger screen” usage would be at home while reading. And for that my iPad Mini works great and doesn’t deplete my phones battery, the Folds battery life is also questionable and Samsung support is terrible here.
Yeah, if you have a iPad Mini.. I would suggest not going for the Fold. I think pairing the two together would kind of overlap. Unless you are looking to remove the iPad Mini from your lineup.. then yeah, go for the Fold.

I have a 12.9” iPP when I prefer using a bigger screen.

And if I switched to Android I’d have all the cons that come with that like not being able to use my phone for NFC payments, no FaceID, no built in MagSafe, no Apple Watch, no iMessage/Facetime to family/friends, losing interoperability to things like my iPad/AirPods Pro/Apple TV and so on. For my usage Android in itself doesn’t really offer any pros over iOS.
There’s Google Pay and Samsung Pay for NFC payments, but I recall you having issues with it… if I’m not mistaken. But I have no problem with the fingerprint scanner on my Fold (always reliable). And I have been using Galaxy Watch ever since Samsung and Google paired up… and it’s been great so far.

I use Bluebubbles for iMessage and I have Galaxy Buds that’s been great with my Fold and Galaxy Watch. But I think in your case, you are familiar with the iPhone and if you don’t care to make the switch.. then don’t. I, on the other hand… wanted features that the iPhone could not deliver, so I switched.

But there’s no doubt, the iPhone is awesome paired with Apple ecosystem.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Yeah, if you have a iPad Mini.. I would suggest not going for the Fold. I think pairing the two together would kind of overlap. Unless you are looking to remove the iPad Mini from your lineup.. then yeah, go for the Fold.

I have a 12.9” iPP when I prefer using a bigger screen.

There’s Google Pay and Samsung Pay for NFC payments, but I recall you having issues with it… if I’m not mistaken. But I have no problem with the fingerprint scanner on my Fold (always reliable). And I have been using Galaxy Watch ever since Samsung and Google paired up… and it’s been great so far.

I use Bluebubbles for iMessage and I have Galaxy Buds that’s been great with my Fold and Galaxy Watch. But I think in your case, you are familiar with the iPhone and if you don’t care to make the switch.. then don’t. I, on the other hand… wanted features that the iPhone could not deliver, so I switched.

But there’s no doubt, the iPhone is awesome paired with Apple ecosystem.

Yeah the idea was replacing the iPhone and iPad mini with a Fold 5 and running that together with my Windows desktop and iPad Pro 12.9” that acts as my laptop.

Unfortunately my credit card company (AMEX) doesn’t support any Android wallets.

And yeah the fingerprint reader on my Fold 2, it’s just that if I am quickly taking out my phone to change the playlist my thumb will not be near the reader normally. So it is more convenient to just swipe up to open the phone.

If Android does something for you that iOS can’t I would really see a reason to switch, which is what I’ve been trying to find. It’s just for my usage both systems work equally well and I’ve always found Apples way a bit more polished so I prefer it.

I just want a foldable because I ove the hardware, the problem is motivating breaking out of the Apple ecosystem just for the phone hardware when I really prefer the Apple ecosystem and software.

pixelultra

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Boston, MA
Unfortunately I think I will stay with the iPhone, although I really think the Fold 5 looks fun and I was happy with my Fold 2 after thinking it through there’s just too much things I would miss out on by switching. Some are ecosystem things which aren’t as essential like iMessage (which my entire family uses), password sharing with my wife, AirPods Pro 2 integration and so on. Other things are that there’s just better support from third parties for iOS in my region, my credit card (AMEX) cannot be added to use with NFC to pay for things in stores for example, they only support iOS so I’d have to switch cards and figure out all that and there are some other things that are similar to that.

If I would find a lot of use for the large screen it would be another thing but since I work from home most of my usage can easily be accomplished by my iPad Mini as well and for much of it the larger screen, different aspect ratio and scaling is actually better for a lot of that. So the Fold would only be adding a lot while I’m out and about which is less time than when I already have access to my other units.

Guess I have to wait for an Apple foldable.
That doesn't make sense; we have 4 Amex cards between me and my wife, and they all work on our Pixels and S23Us. Major banks and CC companies support both platforms because it is shortsighted to support only iOS given the size of the Android market. In fact, there are banks and CCs in other countries that only support Android because the iOS market share is minuscule.

Reactions: jamezr

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
That doesn't make sense; we have 4 Amex cards between me and my wife, and they all work on our Pixels and S23Us. Major banks and CC companies support both platforms because it is shortsighted to support only iOS given the size of the Android market. In fact, there are banks and CCs in other countries that only support Android because the iOS market share is minuscule.

Well for some reason they don’t support it here, there’s other things that have worse support on Android as well but the CC would be the most annoying.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
I've never understood why people still feel like they have to pick sides. It's ok to like both. I use an iPhone 13 Mini & a Fold 5. I love them both for completely different reasons. Most of the products in my house are Apple, but that doesn't mean I still can't enjoy Android devices alongside them. People still talk about it as if they have to get rid of every device in their household if they switch phones. It's a rather silly argument.

The "stuck in the ecosystem" nonsense seems to be a mild version of Stockholm syndrome. And this is coming from someone who has used the Apple ecosystem for years.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've never understood why people still feel like they have to pick sides. It's ok to like both. I use an iPhone 13 Mini & a Fold 5. I love them both for completely different reasons. Most of the products in my house are Apple, but that doesn't mean I still can't enjoy Android devices alongside them. People still talk about it as if they have to get rid of every device in their household if they switch phones. It's a rather silly argument.
Tbf, it’s not necessarily about liking both platforms... but whether it makes sense to be daily driving both Android phone and a iPhone. Because I like both Android and iPhone, however… daily driving them both can seem a bit too much (at, least for me).

And then there’s matching the iPhone or Android phone with some form of wireless headphones (AirPods, Galaxy Buds, Pixel Buds or some Bose or Sony ones) and smartwatch (Apple Watch, Pixel Watch, Galaxy Watch or some other Android Watch).

If I pick up Android phone… whether that’s a Galaxy phone or Pixel Phone I won‘t get a cohesive experience without those accessories I listed above. I won’t speak for everyone, but that’s just my opinion. I’m sure those who daily drive both... stick with AirPods and an Apple Watch while refusing to buy an Android watch or suitable earbuds.

814MB

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2023
PA
I’ve been wanting to heavily, but I’ve been caught by the strangest form of ecosystem lock-in I’m betting any of you will have heard of: CarPlay. That’s right, for whatever reason, my vehicle has wireless CarPlay that works wonderfully, but no Android Auto, wired or not. Being able to use my phone’s maps for navigation to new places (or even just for traffic awareness during regular drives) is too massive a feature for me to give up, even for the niceties of any Android phone, and a car isn’t exactly the sort of thing that you swap out every other year. Now, I could add equipment to the vehicle and get Android Auto working, but that would require spending hundreds (and losing the ability to return a new Android phone if I don’t like it), at which point I feel like it’s just easier and more practical to stick to the iPhone or get its new model.

The other thing is, my time trying various foldables has made me realize that I really like the form-factor the iPhone has and don’t want any significant deviations from it. That includes flat screens, like the Nothing phone. Which means that I have no real ideal hardware choice anyway, even if I push myself to move. Maybe if Nothing releases a bigger model that comparable to the Plus/Max(/Ultra?) iPhone or if Samsung/Google get rid of their waterfall curves, I’ll take the plung.
BMW? My X4 has wireless CarPlay but no android auto integration. I’m in the same boat as you. The car is making me keep my iPhone for now.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Tbf, it’s not necessarily about liking both platforms... but whether it makes sense to be daily driving both Android phone and a iPhone. Because I like both Android and iPhone, however… daily driving them both can seem a bit too much (at, least for me).

And then there’s matching the iPhone or Android phone with some form of wireless headphones (AirPods, Galaxy Buds, Pixel Buds or some Bose or Sony ones) and smartwatch (Apple Watch, Pixel Watch, Galaxy Watch or some other Android Watch).

If I pick up Android phone… whether that’s a Galaxy phone or Pixel Phone I won‘t get a cohesive experience without those accessories I listed above. I won’t speak for everyone, but that’s just my opinion. I’m sure those who daily drive both... stick with AirPods and an Apple Watch while refusing to buy an Android watch or suitable earbuds.
You make some valid points, but my comments were aimed more at the mentality of certain posters, not necessarily whether or not they would daily drive two devices. A large number of Apple purists will simply write off any non-Apple product, solely because they've been programmed to, not because of personal experience. In my opinion, that's sort of where the issue lies. I doubt most users have even tried many of the products that they bash & will simply hide behind the 'ecosystem' excuse. You even admitting that you like both platforms, already puts you in the minority, because many won't even go that far. There's always been a certain snootiness to the Apple community in that regard. It's very snide & blame centric.

The compatibility argument with the watch & Airpods makes sense, but many users have made it clear that they still wouldn't touch a Samsung phone with a 10ft pole, even if there was a way to use all the products seamlessly. I frequent these forums quite a bit, & there's still plenty of posters with the whole 'us vs. them' mentality, in reference to iOS & Android. I understand Apple doesn't allow users to pair an Apple watch with an android phone, but that doesn't warrant an all out attack on all things android either, or vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.