Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I installed nvidia drivers 378.10.10.10.25.102 and so far it seems to work better

That's not going to help, trust me. This is definitely an Apple issue because I had 0 issues with Sierra and WebDrivers on a Mac Pro 5,1.

There's some type of memory leak in WindowServer.

A fresh boot works fine for a bit but once you start using Photoshop, Lightroom, Chrome, the GPU VRAM fills up and it starts to lag.

Try it for yourself. Instal iStat Menu and look at what happens with the GPU RAM.

Reactions: rgbastro

damianfarina

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
That's not going to help, trust me. This is definitely an Apple issue because I had 0 issues with Sierra and WebDrivers on a Mac Pro 5,1.

There's some type of memory leak in WindowServer.

A fresh boot works fine for a bit but once you start using Photoshop, Lightroom, Chrome, the GPU VRAM fills up and it starts to lag.

Try it for yourself. Instal iStat Menu and look at what happens with the GPU RAM.

You are right, after a few hours of heavy use it starts lagging again

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You are right, after a few hours of heavy use it starts lagging again

Can you try using this tool:
https://gfx.io

Then force select Intel Iris (or whatever your iGPU is)....after a fresh restart. Do what you usually do on your computer and then post results?

If all works well, it's 100% nVidia/Apple (mostly Apple) related.

rgbastro

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
London

Then force select Intel Iris (or whatever your iGPU is)....after a fresh restart. Do what you usually do on your computer and then post results?

Dude, it IS Apple related. They've released a buggy OSX X upgrade.

Reactions: h9826790

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
Dude, it IS Apple related. They've released a buggy OSX X upgrade.

Yeah, I tried that but it makes no difference. The .pkg is checking OS version and saying not supported, and then suggesting the website which is anything but transparant...

Mac OS X version 10.13.2 (17C205) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yeah, I tried that but it makes no difference. The .pkg is checking OS version and saying not supported, and then suggesting the website which is anything but transparant...

Mac OS X version 10.13.2 (17C205) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

Yeah I was trying to see if you can force iGPU and see performance increase vs nvidia.

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
What the fock! I'm starting to be very angry. I have MacBook Pro 15" mid 2014 in configuration, that flies on macOS 10.12.6 and I don't understeand, why I need to switch to newer model. I still have warranty on my model!
The 'its too old' is Apple's mantra. Get used to it. Switched to macs from PC in 2001, (previously had an Apple IIc, but that hardly qualifies here), and every time theres been issues, thats the first thing out of their face. It shuts up the ignorant and the elderly which is a large portion of their customer base. You want the software, you gotta deal with the hardware. Thats the real reason Apple wont allow its operating system on any other machines, because it sure isnt because they do massive amounts of regression testing for older model configurations. Its another form of planned obsolescence.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Phaedrux

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
Canada
I gave up and went back to Sierra and performance has been great again. I came back to the thread to see if any of the recent updates have helped. Sad to see they have not.

sosyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Nothing works in the "High Garbage - Vista Sierra"!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Came

I gave up and downgraded to Sierra. Sad state of affairs, never buying a Macbook with an NVidia card again. This has cost me a LOT of time.

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
Been lurking on this thread a while. I have a 4K monitor (a Dell P2415Q) and suffer the slowdowns reported here. I noticed in 10.13.2 that I had major leakage - iStat Menus would report kernel_task hitting 16GB of used RAM, requiring a restart.

I installed the update last night and will report back. I already checked Extensions in System Information and the GeForce extension still has a date of August, so no change there, which is a shame. Hoping that the WindowServer has seen some fixes in 10.13.3. If the slowdowns continue I'll try installing the next WebDriver when it comes out as several people here have reported that it helps them, and it doesn't seem to be too hard to roll back if required.

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
Definitely feels better so far. GPU memory usage is high but not 100% according to iStat Menus, whereas in 10.13.2 it would hit 100% pretty quickly and cause slowdowns.

10.13.2 was painful to use with a 4K monitor, but so far I've not felt any UI lag and it's arguably becoming pleasurable to have the dual screen setup!

Will see what a few more days of uptime brings, but I hope that this means Apple are getting on top of bugs in the Metal WindowServer.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Can anyone try the 10.13.4 Dev 1 beta and comment on nVidia performance?

You need to modify the WebDriver so it works with a different version than its made for.

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I am also having the same issues, it seems like browsing the internet is the worst. I have late 2013 Macbook Pro with 750M graphics card. Does anyone know if Apple realizes there is a bug affecting these laptops? Seems like they forgot about us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.