Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I am also having the same issues, it seems like browsing the internet is the worst. I have late 2013 Macbook Pro with 750M graphics card. Does anyone know if Apple realizes there is a bug affecting these laptops? Seems like they forgot about us.

I have a request. I pm'd you.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Use feedback assistant to report these issue to Apple. The more people report the problem, the sooner Apple will fix it. Griping here does no good at all—Apple engineers don't read these pages (at least not in an official capacity).

Reactions: h9826790

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I reckon this should be helpful, I've found a site that catalogues all of the NVIDIA GPU drivers for each point update of MacOS all the way from 10.6 to present:
http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html

In my case the problem appears to have stopped, I removed the CUDA driver on my 750M MBP eventually reinstalling it alongside the NVIDIA macOS driver and the problem didn't come back (in my case).

red-5

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Another disgruntled late 2013 MacBook Pro user here.

Experiencing lag when connected to an LG 27UD58 4K monitor with scaling set to 1440p.

Mac has Geforce 750M.

I just upgraded the Nvidia drivers etc, will report back with my findings.

UPDATE: It's even worse, cannot use my 4K monitor at all.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Another disgruntled late 2013 MacBook Pro user here.

Experiencing lag when connected to an LG 27UD58 4K monitor with scaling set to 1440p.

Mac has Geforce 750M.

I just upgraded the Nvidia drivers etc, will report back with my findings.

UPDATE: It's even worse, cannot use my 4K monitor at all.

Can you try 10.13.4 Public Beta?

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I managed to significantly improve the lag on my iMac (late 2013, GeForce GTX 775M) by installing the previous version of the Nvidia web driver (WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.106). The current version of the Nvidia driver is awful, and is much worse than even the standard OSX driver.

You need to use a tool to force OSX to install the older driver even though it technically isn't meant to run on 10.13.3. This tool (in German, unfortunately) will force the system to install the older driver: https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/ind...eiber-all-Version-update-App-für-High-Sierra/

Although it is meant for Hackintoshes, this TonyMacx86 thread is the best place for details on this process: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-3-update.243852/

The graphics performance isn't quite as good as it was on 10.12, but really not that bad overall. It was almost unusable before.

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have the 2013 rMBP 750M issues as well. I opened a Radar with Apple, they wanted me to run a bunch of tests for them, I said, sorry, I had to downgrade to Sierra to actually, you know, get work done. They closed the Radar.

red-5

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
I managed to significantly improve the lag on my iMac (late 2013, GeForce GTX 775M) by installing the previous version of the Nvidia web driver (WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.106). The current version of the Nvidia driver is awful, and is much worse than even the standard OSX driver.

This is the driver that I currently have installed and it unusable.

Screen_Shot_2018_02_16_at_15_04_35.png

matheweis

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2005
Subscribing to this thread... I have a GeForce GT 650M 1GB on an Early 2013 and the same lag issues described ever since upgrading to High Sierra. Tried a couple of variations of installing nVidia drivers with no luck.

kiddjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Dallas, TX

You need to use a tool to force OSX to install the older driver even though it technically isn't meant to run on 10.13.3. This tool (in German, unfortunately) will force the system to install the older driver: https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/ind...eiber-all-Version-update-App-für-High-Sierra/

Although it is meant for Hackintoshes, this TonyMacx86 thread is the best place for details on this process: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-3-update.243852/

The graphics performance isn't quite as good as it was on 10.12, but really not that bad overall. It was almost unusable before.

Went ahead and hosted this tool on dropbox since the german forum site requires registration in order to download. I also just downgraded to .106 because .156 was terrible on my late '13 MBPro. Too early for me tell if it made a difference or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t5c1hvzssryiig/Webdriver All Versions.app.zip?dl=0

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Went ahead and hosted this tool on dropbox since the german forum site requires registration in order to download. I also just downgraded to .106 because .156 was terrible on my late '13 MBPro. Too early for me tell if it made a difference or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t5c1hvzssryiig/Webdriver All Versions.app.zip?dl=0

The different between .156 and .106 is night and day for me. The difference between .156 and the generic OSX driver is more subtle, but I find that it takes longer to start freezing. If you use a tool like iStat, you'll see that the VRAM takes longer to fill up, which is usually when the stuttering starts.

kiddjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
The different between .156 and .106 is night and day for me. The difference between .156 and the generic OSX driver is more subtle, but I find that it takes longer to start freezing. If you use a tool like iStat, you'll see that the VRAM takes longer to fill up, which is usually when the stuttering starts.
Nice, will check out iStat to track VRAM... That was also an annoying bit - not being able to see the diminishing performance stats in Activity Monitor.

red-5

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
It is better but there is a still a clear problem and serious lag.

Is this something that Apple will fix in time with a software update?

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Nice, will check out iStat to track VRAM... That was also an annoying bit - not being able to see the diminishing performance stats in Activity Monitor.

Yeah, it would be nice if Apple would add GPU and VRAM stats to Activity Monitor. It's a whole class of issues that's isn't really visible with the current setup. Although considering how much confusion there is over things like RAM usage, I can understand why they wouldn't want to add more information that will possibly be misinterpreted.
[doublepost=1519228159][/doublepost]
It is better but there is a still a clear problem and serious lag.

Is this something that Apple will fix in time with a software update?

I wonder if it's a fundamental issue with how nvidida graphics work and Metal 2. The fact that the newest nvidia web driver makes things far, far worse isn't encouraging.

Reactions: leventozler

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Still can’t believe Apple hasn’t fixed this issue. I guess I will stay on Sierra for the life of my laptop.

I haven’t had any of the issues since downgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.