Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I've been having the lag too - on the latest build of 10.13.4. I have an open ticket with Apple, and am waiting on an update from them as to a fix.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Sa1en

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
It still not helps. Typically, 5-15 mins after reboot and you can't use your laptop until you will shutdown any app which is using so-called 'high performance graphics'. It is everything which is heavy, in my case - iOS/Android simulator/emulator. Or XCode. And boom - after it you can't use your laptop at all, fps like being dropped to 5.

When you will close that app, laptop switches back to integrated card and everything runs again smoothly. GFX app is can't hold laptop on integrated card - when system needs discrete - it switches and that's it, sadly.

Guys, any news? Does Apple at least knows about it? I dunno what to do, but it is silly to have powerfull workspace which costs over 2.7k and works like for .8 :)

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I have a similar problem, mid-2014 MacBrook Pro driving a 4K Dell P2715Q monitor. The lag comes and goes, but when it comes it slows my system down to a pissant crawl.

I filed a bug report as well, and even updated to 10.13.4 Beta 2, which somehow made it WORSE. WTF?

Upgrading to High Sierra was the worst mistake I ever made with an Apple product. I want to downgrade but I installed too many apps since my last backup so I'm lazy, plus I read of issues downgrading so I wonder if I'm just asking for more headaches. May explore it further though this weekend though.

Because of this I've been browsing the SurfaceBook line at Best Buy. **** you Apple.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I have the mid 2014 Macbook Pro with the 750M nVidia card, and I can confirm this. Everything was fine on both the retina display and the 1440p monitor I was using before. I upgraded to an LG 27U58P-B 4k monitor and suddenly it was lag city. I downgraded immediately (due to this thread) to Sierra, and now everything is fine. :( Oh well. I will stay tuned to this thread...

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'm perhaps chasing at nothing here - this problem has been tough to solve. But I'm curious if those who have this issue (like on this thread) have Amphetamine installed. The most recent reports cite issues with respect to Amphetamine (caffeinate), 10.13.3, and graphics.

red-5

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
I'm perhaps chasing at nothing here - this problem has been tough to solve. But I'm curious if those who have this issue (like on this thread) have Amphetamine installed. The most recent reports cite issues with respect to Amphetamine (caffeinate), 10.13.3, and graphics.
No don't have it installed but I do have caffeine installed.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
This bug is not related to any application. It's definitely core macOS issue. I tried many versions of nVidia web drivers and nothing helped.
Apple needs to fix this issue. I think it's related to Metal 2.

I agree with the suspicion of it being related to Metal 2 (or at least Window Server). Lately, the machine has taken to doing an occasional kernel panic as well, and looking through the stack trace, it is clear as day that it originates from the Nvidia driver (apple's).

I suspect that apple probably won't (or can't) really adequately fix this... I suspect they'll just de-support these machines before too long... I don't see them being very motivated to solve the issue on a 5 year old model...

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I agree with the suspicion of it being related to Metal 2 (or at least Window Server). Lately, the machine has taken to doing an occasional kernel panic as well, and looking through the stack trace, it is clear as day that it originates from the Nvidia driver (apple's).

I suspect that apple probably won't (or can't) really adequately fix this... I suspect they'll just de-support these machines before too long... I don't see them being very motivated to solve the issue on a 5 year old model...

Man do I hope you are wrong. And man, am I afraid you are not. The good news is that it is widespread beyond just the 2013s. It is also the 2014s, so maybe?

Some of us are using Xcode and can't just switch to windows. :(

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Wanted to share a more detailed summary of my setup and a potential workaround:

In addition to using a 4K monitor on my mid-2014 MBP in clamshell mode, I also have it connected to a projector as well (both using DisplayPort), so I essentially have two external displays connected. If I disconnect the projector, the lag seems to notably reduce, but oddly enough by disabling/unchecking the "Displays have Separate Spaces" option in Mission Control the lag and obscene windowserver usage finally seems to have abated.

I say odd because I tried this before with no change, but this time around using 10.13.4 Beta 2 it clearly seems to have made a difference. Will continue testing for a few more days.

Last edited:

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
As an update, I still have an open ticket with Apple - I gave them another screen recording on 2/17 as an update to my original ticket, and then created a separate ticket on 2/22 to submit an iPhone video recording of the issue - they have not responded to either of the updated tickets (although they did respond to my original request).

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Man do I hope you are wrong. And man, am I afraid you are not. The good news is that it is widespread beyond just the 2013s. It is also the 2014s, so maybe?

Some of us are using Xcode and can't just switch to windows. :(

I seems like it affects all or most nVidia GPUs. Even brand new top of the line Hackintoshes or eGPUs are exhibiting the same performance issues. I think chances are they will iron these issues out eventually.

I will say that on my MacBook Pro with an integrated GPU, the UI is actually noticeably smoother than it was in Sierra. It makes that machine feel much more powerful than the iMac, even though it definitely is a weaker machine.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I seems like it affects all or most nVidia GPUs. Even brand new top of the line Hackintoshes or eGPUs are exhibiting the same performance issues. I think chances are they will iron these issues out eventually.

I will say that on my MacBook Pro with an integrated GPU, the UI is actually noticeably smoother than it was in Sierra. It makes that machine feel much more powerful than the iMac, even though it definitely is a weaker machine.

This is an interesting point. Is there a way to disable the nVidia chipset and still use the DisplayPort?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You can try this https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-nvda but it not working 100%.
But I really hope, that Apple will fix it, becuase I bought MacBook for the reason, that I don't need to solve anything. Only use it. With macOS 10.13 this is gone .

Hmm, I am not willing to go to 10.13 without confirmation of fixes or something...Will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the link, if I decide to try, I will let everyone know what the results are but I don't think I will at this point.

Sa1en

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
I'm too lazy to spend a time for downgrade - but not so lazy to post here another portion of my tears :)

Cuda & Web driver not helps at all. Is there any radar opened or something like that? Does Apple at least really knows about it?

Reactions: rgbastro

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I'm too lazy to spend a time for downgrade - but not so lazy to post here another portion of my tears :)

Cuda & Web driver not helps at all. Is there any radar opened or something like that? Does Apple at least really knows about it?

I have an open radar with Apple - #3989397. It seems that Apple is unwilling to do anything about this issue, but I hold out hope that the next beta will restore graphics performance. 10.13.3 is even worse than 10.13.4 though (I had to downgrade because the beta corrupted my internal SSD) - so at least Apple at some point was working on this issue during this beta cycle...

radlfuchs

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
Munich, Germany
I also have issues with a MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2014, 2 GB Nvidia Graphics Card) with High Sierra on a Dell 32" 4k Screen. After starting my own thread some while back (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...692-resolution-on-an-external-display.2102991) I came to the conclusion that (for now) using one of the two resolutions at the end of the spectrum works for me (the ones that MacOS suggests to use without the hint "may slow down the OS", either all really big and less space or very tiny and lots of space - every resolution in between is a total mess).

But I am not so sure anymore. There are less slowdowns, but I think they are still there. Can someone confirm that there is no resolution on which MacOS will be (almost) as fast as when it is running without an external screen?

Sa1en

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
I also have issues with a MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2014, 2 GB Nvidia Graphics Card) with High Sierra on a Dell 32" 4k Screen. After starting my own thread some while back (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...692-resolution-on-an-external-display.2102991) I came to the conclusion that (for now) using one of the two resolutions at the end of the spectrum works for me (the ones that MacOS suggests to use without the hint "may slow down the OS", either all really big and less space or very tiny and lots of space - every resolution in between is a total mess).

But I am not so sure anymore. There are less slowdowns, but I think they are still there. Can someone confirm that there is no resolution on which MacOS will be (almost) as fast as when it is running without an external screen?
You saying that everything is fine for you until you connect external screen, right? That's weird - for me it is lagging even without monitor :)

radlfuchs

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
Munich, Germany
It's really hard to tell. I'd need the same model running the same setup on Sierra for comparison. Unfortunately all my colleagues were forced to update to High Sierra as well because of the Meltdown/Spectre incident. I think that without an external screen it works for me. With an external screen it is OKish when running the scaled resolutions that MacOS recommends (without the warning sign). When switching to a resolution that makes good use of the big 4k screen (e.g. 3008x1692) the performance goes down. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.