Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.161 seems to work pretty well for me.

If you look at my vram usage (the right most group is after I installed 161), you'll see that using the apple driver, vram usage is at 100% a lot of the time, while using the 161 driver, it never even hits 100%. And if you look at the CPU utilization, it is really noticeably lower...

I've got to believe operating at near full mem utilization has to cause some slow down! Looks like someone is not wiping their *ss often enough!!! (i.e. programmer is not managing mem utilization very well)

Grr... well, at least i'm in a pretty usable state now. I'd uninstalled the nvidia drivers awhile back cos they weren't helping. Thanks Tyr3al for the tip on 161.

btw, also running 10.13.3 on a late 2013 mbp 15.

So far, after 5 days of no reboot, everything still runs fine... no lag, temps generally run about 5C lower, and vram usage runs 60-80% (90-100 constantly on the apple driver). Pretty much daily, I switch between 1 4k monitor running at 3008x1692 at work, and 1 or 2 4k's running at 2560x1440 at home.

If it matters, I did do a clean (totally clean, i.e. did not even restore backup after install) install of HS about a month ago (i.e. 3-4 weeks before I installed 161), and that's when I when I removed the nv 157 (I think) webdriver because it didn't work. So, I was running on a clean install of HS with apple drivers for a few weeks; the lag was there, but didn't seem as persistent, only got bad when I had more apps (esp. webstorm/intellij) running, and usual when that happened, the vram would be running pretty much at or very very close to 100%, and temps stayed in the high 70s.

Not sure how much this helps. Thankfully 161 on 10.13.3 does seem to work for me, and gets me in a pretty usable state. I do appreciate that it doesn't for others, I'm guessing it kinda depends on what apps are in use, and how well/badly those apps work with graphics... I'm guessing some combo of metal/driver/HS is less forgiving than before.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Sa1en

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
I'm using android emulator buuuut, in the same time, while not using it but have heavy graphics website (and laptop switches automatically to nvidia because of it) - everything is lagging the same.

I'm running 10.13.3 and 161 driver and it not help me.

I've called Apple Support, but they've advised me to remove some ridiculously launch daemons - of course, I've tried it and it not helped at all.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
I'm using android emulator buuuut, in the same time, while not using it but have heavy graphics website (and laptop switches automatically to nvidia because of it) - everything is lagging the same.

I'm running 10.13.3 and 161 driver and it not help me.

I've called Apple Support, but they've advised me to remove some ridiculously launch daemons - of course, I've tried it and it not helped at all.
Thank you for reply. I was thinking about upgrade, but now I will stay with Sierra :). I also use many apps that enforcing GeForce GPU.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I've tried the 10.13.4.beta5 (17E182a) with 161 nvidia driver if far better than the 10.13.3 but still far away from my Intel HD 4000 ... which is sad but at least we can see the a good improvement. The GeForce memory in my case stays use at 80-90% so in that point nothing have changed.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I've installed the latest beta6 and with 161 nvidia driver it is much better. Still high memory usage and it is not perfect but at least i can see some improvement.

ianrobertdouglas

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
I've installed the latest beta6 and with 161 nvidia driver it is much better. Still high memory usage and it is not perfect but at least i can see some improvement.

I've been watching this thread since suffering significant lags after upgrading to Beta 2. Have you tried Beta 6 without the Nvidia driver (161)? Is it significantly worse?

Secondly, how did you get the driver to install? I get:

upload_2018-3-22_2-11-45.png

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I've been watching this thread since suffering significant lags after upgrading to Beta 2. Have you tried Beta 6 without the Nvidia driver (161)? Is it significantly worse?

Secondly, how did you get the driver to install? I get:

View attachment 755211

I use this package to force the installation of any driver you can install it via `homebrew`

https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh

And for daily use i use `gfxCardStatus` from gfx.io to disable the use of Geforce this way i i have no lage and can use my computer as i did before(i'm a software developper so GeForce isn't required for my work)

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
I use this package to force the installation of any driver you can install it via `homebrew`

https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh

And for daily use i use `gfxCardStatus` from gfx.io to disable the use of Geforce this way i i have no lage and can use my computer as i did before(i'm a software developper so GeForce isn't required for my work)
I know this is little bit offtopic, but how you force to use only Intel graphics with gfxCardStatus? As I can see in gfx.io:

gfxCardStatus v2.3 and above actively prevents you from switching to Integrated Only mode when any apps are in the Dependencies list (or if you have an external display plugged in). This is because if you were to do this, your discrete GPU would actually stay powered on, even though you've switched to the integrated GPU.
I can confirm this behaviour. You don't use any apps that causing it?

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I know this is little bit offtopic, but how you force to use only Intel graphics with gfxCardStatus? As I can see in gfx.io:

gfxCardStatus v2.3 and above actively prevents you from switching to Integrated Only mode when any apps are in the Dependencies list (or if you have an external display plugged in). This is because if you were to do this, your discrete GPU would actually stay powered on, even though you've switched to the integrated GPU.
I can confirm this behaviour. You don't use any apps that causing it?

I use it too - the trick is to switch to the integrated GPU before you open an app which triggers the Nvidia card - for example, Photos.

I've not received any update to my ticket with Apple (filed about a month ago), but the latest beta seems to be running much better, even though the kext version of the Nvidia driver hasn't changed. Interestingly, I've noticed that only 1536MB of graphics memory is available when my 750GT is on, despite it being a 2GB card.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
I use it too - the trick is to switch to the integrated GPU before you open an app which triggers the Nvidia card - for example, Photos.

I've not received any update to my ticket with Apple (filed about a month ago), but the latest beta seems to be running much better, even though the kext version of the Nvidia driver hasn't changed. Interestingly, I've noticed that only 1536MB of graphics memory is available when my 750GT is on, despite it being a 2GB card.
Great. Far better solution for me is stay with macOS Sierra. I don't need to solve anything and OS "just works" as it shuld, because its Apple!

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Great. Far better solution for me is stay with macOS Sierra. I don't need to solve anything and OS "just works" as it shuld, because its Apple!

Was it hard to downgrade from High Sierra? I am thinking of doing that as well, getting tired of waiting for a solution...Apple becoming really sloppy.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Was it hard to downgrade from High Sierra? I am thinking of doing that as well, getting tired of waiting for a solution...Apple becoming really sloppy.
Kind of. You need to create bootable USB drive with Sierra (but there are many guides for it). Then you need to completly wipe your SSD, because of APFS. If you can do backup and you don't mind about installing everything again, its not that hard.

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
@kecinzer it seems that for me better to buy new laptop :) Silly, Apple making to do me that again & again with laptops & phones.

The problem with this is, I would feel bad selling my laptop to someone with High Sierra on it and telling them to wait for a potential fix. I would only be able to sell my laptop with Sierra on it since it still works very good.

Reactions: Sa1en

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Where do you see this?

If I go into an app which allows me to see the maximum available VRAM, it's reported at 1536MB (for example, in Google Earth). Interestingly, Photoshop reports an error with the graphics driver and disables OpenCL GPU effects.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.35.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.35.46 PM.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Untitled 3.jpg
    Untitled 3.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 175

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Has anyone tried out the release version of 10.13.4? I'm kind of hesitant to jump right into in, on the off-chance that it actually worse for lag than previous versions of High Sierra.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
If I go into an app which allows me to see the maximum available VRAM, it's reported at 1536MB (for example, in Google Earth). Interestingly, Photoshop reports an error with the graphics driver and disables OpenCL GPU effects.
Zero issues with my rMBP (same as yours with 16GB RAM). GEP shows 2047MB VRAM, no issues with PS CC. External LG 32-inch display or 27-inch BenQ display; both UHD units. I rarely use the built-in display, using my rMBP in clamshell mode.
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 5.49.40 PM.png

Has anyone tried out the release version of 10.13.4? I'm kind of hesitant to jump right into in, on the off-chance that it actually worse for lag than previous versions of High Sierra.
Using it now, can't say much as the install is only 30 minutes old. No issues so far, but I didn't have any lag with the latest web driver either with the two aforementioned displays running one at a time or simultaneously.

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I just upgraded to 10.3.4, I noticed a HUGE decrease in RAM used for WindowServer. Before I was on 10.3.3 with web driver 161 and WindowServer was around 1GB, now it is around 140MB. Computer seems much smoother, I have a 2013 MacBook Pro. I am using Mac OS X default driver.

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I would definitely say for me I am seeing HUGE difference in performance. For sure memory is not leaking as it was before.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I can confirm the
Google Earth
thing. Nice tip! I checked right before I upgraded - same reading before and after. There have been a couple of false starts for me on this - hopefully this fixes it.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
For me 10.13.4 is better because the graphics switch that happens less often. So on automatic grapghcs it stays more on Intel card so 4 finger swipe between full screen apps etc. is fine. overall performance is fine... but because it stays mode on Intel card :D. When i disable auto-gpu switch and stay on GeFore only then it lags... 4 figer swipes between full screen apps is better that on 10.13.3 but it LAGS still and is far away from 10.12.x performance. So i would say that they do a workaround rather than fix the source of the problem.. And as for memory usage it says ~90% as before. Again i'm using stock driver for now. Tomorrow i will with 161. Or maybe 162 if by change Nvidia release updated version(which they do rather fast in general)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.