Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Will wait to hear from more people, but maybe its time to start thinking about upgrading to HS again?

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
So looks like Nvidia released a new web driver version 103. When I run this instead of the Mac OS X default driver it seems worse, WindowServer is around 450 MB vs 80-90MB with Mac OS X default driver. I guess I'll be sticking on Mac OS X default driver for now.

CodySchrank

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
I'm on 10.13.4 using the new Nvidia 103 driver, and while better than the default mac os x driver, there is still noticeable lag.

Last edited:

Xriter

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
For me, the simplest indicator to see if they fixed it, is by checking how one particular screensaver is performing: Arabesque. On 10.12.6 it's buttery smooth, while on HS it's dropping an awful lot of frames.

Maybe someone can check this out on 10.13.4?

Schermafbeelding 2018-03-31 om 12.35.23.png

SJ27CAL

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
For me, the simplest indicator to see if they fixed it, is by checking how one particular screensaver is performing: Arabesque. On 10.12.6 it's buttery smooth, while on HS it's dropping an awful lot of frames.

Maybe someone can check this out on 10.13.4?

View attachment 756362

I just tried that screensaver with both drivers, it does better under the Nvidia Driver but it is still some lag, I guess overall OS performance improved but there is still some lag on this screensaver. Damn, I thought they finally solved it, guess not.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
yep for my both are lagging are lagging. I've also noticed that on nVidia my window server process is havign constant 10-20% cpu usage.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Well, after a full normal workday running 10.13.4 and web driver 30.103, everything seems ok to me. Lag seems to be minimal or gone for me in the apps that used to exhibit it (webstorm/intellij). Webdriver seems better than apple driver, esp. in terms of vram utilization. It is now sitting nominally around 75-85%, compared to around 90% on 10.13.3/161.

sashimimi

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Anyone here open to test 10.13.5 beta? :)
I am. Haven't had a single crash updating between for the past few years. Funnily enough the update from last .4 beta to the stable .4 crashed mid way. (fortunately, an fsck in single user mode miraculously solved the issue o_O)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just found out an easy way to roll back to the 378 driver (the current 387 driver has lots of performance issue inside the Hackintosh group as well). For me, a real Mac Pro user, the 1080Ti has no performance issue with the latest 10.13.4 and 387 driver, however, occasionally colour bug occur. So I rolled back to the 378 driver. And I can confirm that this driver work flawlessly on my Mac. You guys may give it a try. Anyway, there are 2 steps to roll back.

1) Disable SIP

2) Run this command in terminal
Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

If any of you want to know more which software used up all the VRAM, you can run
Code:
IOAccelMemory
in terminal, then it will list out the detail VRAM usage.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Code:
IOAccelMemory
Nice command i played with it a little. Funny Thing Window server is using like 3/4 of the Vram in my case 780MB our of 1G. From output of this command I saw that Chrome, Slack, Spotify have some memory allocated(i had lot of other app running but there were 0's). When i exit these 3 apps(i'm running them 100% time) the UI is way back smoother it has small glitches but they are completely acceptable. I had safari and Firefox running with lots of tab and fullscreen switches were way smoother than when i had these 3 apps open. I don't know if it is linked but maybe some apps need to be updated as well to take advantage of the Metal 2 version of Window Server. But in the same time on Intel HD 4000 things are smooth with all of them. Or maybe 1G of Vram on my GeForce is simply not enough. The intel HD 4000 is using 1536MB for it's memory

Reactions: h9826790

Brovatar

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2018
London, UK
I would suggest skipping High Sierra to folks with Nvidia GPU, unless they need the latest version of Xcode or eGPU support. I’ve been using it for 9 days, but am now rolling back to 10.12.6 via Time Machine backup (which I highly recommend everyone to have). Apple said they are focusing on quality with 10.14. Let’s hope this gets fixed. Right now switching spaces is just annoyingly choppy with external monitor connected (discrete GPU used), and dragging windows between monitors is jerky as well, VLC 3.0 also stutters on 10bit 4K HEVC video as well now. It’s minor stuff, and would be worth tolerating, if High Sierra had some redeeming must have features, but it really doesn’t.

Last edited:

Sa1en

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
Yep, on 10.13.4 laptop switches to discrete gpu less often. But, when doing it - same lags here again.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Just found out an easy way to roll back to the 378 driver (the current 387 driver has lots of performance issue inside the Hackintosh group as well). For me, a real Mac Pro user, the 1080Ti has no performance issue with the latest 10.13.4 and 387 driver, however, occasionally colour bug occur. So I rolled back to the 378 driver. And I can confirm that this driver work flawlessly on my Mac. You guys may give it a try. Anyway, there are 2 steps to roll back.

1) Disable SIP

2) Run this command in terminal
Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

If any of you want to know more which software used up all the VRAM, you can run
Code:
IOAccelMemory
in terminal, then it will list out the detail VRAM usage.

This is what I have done, and it seems to work for everything I use it for...I am on .106 and 10.13.4

Although I did it the brew app way....

Reactions: h9826790

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
How do you think, Should I update from 10.12.6 ? Is this NvidiaGraphicsFixup works good?
Its much better but it still is not that fast like Sierra. I'm sticking with it because I can normaly work, but in some situations I can feel that is little bit chunky. But I work almost all the time with external display, so I have still GeForce active.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
Its much better but it still is not that fast like Sierra. I'm sticking with it because I can normaly work, but in some situations I can feel that is little bit chunky. But I work almost all the time with external display, so I have still GeForce active.
Thank you. Working without lags more important for me than update =)
I still staying with 10.12.6

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
Does anyone know whether this is issue is limited to the MacBook Pro, or does it affect all Kepler GPUs, or even all Nvidia GPUs?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Does anyone know whether this is issue is limited to the MacBook Pro, or does it affect all Kepler GPUs, or even all Nvidia GPUs?

I didn't own any Kepler GPU (e.g. GTX 680), but I can tell from my 1080Ti, it's actually very OK to use 10.13.4 with the Nvidia web driver.

My feeling is that the V387 driver is actually tiny bit smoother. However, due to the colour bug, I don't use it anymore.

By using the V378 driver, my Mac can run flawlessly in the latest High Sierra.

So, I will say it's not affecting all Nvidia GPU.

Also, on the Mac Pro 5,1 side, there are lots of people using the GTX 680 Mac Edition card (the web driver officially supported). Never heard there is any lag from them. So, seems not all Kepler GPU are affected as well.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Nvidia just release the new web driver.
https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.30.106.pkg
https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.30.106.pkg

Initial test shows that works really well on my 1080Ti. May be you guys can have a try.

I've just installed it and for now i have lot's of black screen flashes when os is switching beetween cards. That is because it doesn't work with 650m. When i force 650m screens goes black and i need to power down. So i'm gonna try it for few more hours but for 90% i'm gonna have to revert to a previous one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.