Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
Interesting. I never had that type of battery burn. Maybe a little more than normal but not 6% in 20 mins.

I just wanted to say "thanks" for all the research and feedback you've done about these apps. Really appreciate all the work you're doing, and the info you've gotten from developers. To tell you the truth I never thought about apps like Phonebuddy, but after reading all this I can see that they'd be invaluable.

Reactions: Zealgr and Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just wanted to say "thanks" for all the research and feedback you've done about these apps. Really appreciate all the work you're doing, and the info you've gotten from developers. To tell you the truth I never thought about apps like Phonebuddy, but after reading all this I can see that they'd be invaluable.
? The pleasure is mine. I truly believe in the functionality of this type of app but the Devs deserve all the credit. I’m just a satisfied customer passing along info. To be honest, I never dealt with Devs like Phone Buddy’s before. Top Notch when it comes to time for response, general queries and app feature requests/suggestions.

Reactions: Zealgr

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I took my watch off the charger at 5am and I’m at 72% now, 7 hours later. 4%/ hour with PhoneBuddy (and all other S5 features) running.

S5 44mm: I’m in hour 16 of a long day that included several cell calls totaling maybe an hour. I’m at 44% with AOD on, PhoneBuddy running and Overcast set to copy several podcasts as they’re updated during the day. 3.5% per hour. I’m quite happy.

Reactions: Itinj24

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I reloaded Phone Buddy on my new SE and it is working much better than it did on the SE1. I will continue to monitor over the weekend. The new app update is a lot better as well.

Those with a new SE or more modern phone than the original SE should give Phone Buddy a test drive. Very handy app, especially when it comes to expensive items like the Apple Watch and iPhone.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I'm kind of surprised the apple watch doesn't have this. Has anyone see this in the watch OS betas?

Otherwise seems Phone Buddy is the way to go?

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I thought this was the app to let me know when my phone is left at home when going to the garage in the car so I don't forget it but it is to random/unreliable :(

I wish it would of worked.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I thought this was the app to let me know when my phone is left at home when going to the garage in the car so I don't forget it but it is to random/unreliable :(

I wish it would of worked.
Did you do the paid version or free version? I’ve had the paid version with actual Bluetooth disconnect alerts (not just distance alerts) and it’s been flawless. As soon as Bluetooth breaks connection, I get an alert on my watch. It’s loud and annoying too which is good but the haptics also work great.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Did you do the paid version or free version? I’ve had the paid version with actual Bluetooth disconnect alerts (not just distance alerts) and it’s been flawless. As soon as Bluetooth breaks connection, I get an alert on my watch. It’s loud and annoying too which is good but the haptics also work great.
Paid. How do I enable Bluetooth disconnect alerts? Thanks.

Should I have both enabled?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Paid. How do I enable Bluetooth disconnect alerts? Thanks.

Should I have both enabled?
I just do the Bluetooth disconnect because the distance alerts are way too sensitive.

First off, it’s good to have a complication because it gives you the status at a glance. On the watch, tap on Phone alerts and tap Lost alert. When that goes on, there are options. You can turn the volume alert up or down. I have it on Loud alarm with the volume up. I also have Found alert on so I know when I’m back in Bluetooth range. Then you can use the phone finder in control center for pinpointing the location. If you break Bluetooth connection, Apple Maps will pop up on the watch with an option to navigate to it.

Test it out a bit. Sometimes the alarm takes a few seconds but it has never not alerted me.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I just do the Bluetooth disconnect because the distance alerts are way too sensitive.

First off, it’s good to have a complication because it gives you the status at a glance. On the watch, tap on Phone alerts and tap Lost alert. When that goes on, there are options. You can turn the volume alert up or down. I have it on Loud alarm with the volume up. I also have Found alert on so I know when I’m back in Bluetooth range. Then you can use the phone finder in control center for pinpointing the location. If you break Bluetooth connection, Apple Maps will pop up on the watch with an option to navigate to it.

Test it out a bit. Sometimes the alarm takes a few seconds but it has never not alerted me.

Thanks.

I am not sure if that will work for me sorry. :(

I will try a test of it though.

Do agree that distance alerts are way too sensitive but mine is set really low so that should help but like I said I will test Bluetooth disconnect alerts too only with a test.

My goal is to have it alert me when I forget my phone in the house when going to the garage right when I get in the car. I doubt this is possible but I could be wrong.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks.

I am not sure if that will work for me sorry. :(

I will try a test of it though.

Do agree that distance alerts are way too sensitive but mine is set really low so that should help but like I said I will test Bluetooth disconnect alerts too only with a test.

My goal is to have it alert me when I forget my phone in the house when going to the garage right when I get in the car. I doubt this is possible but I could be wrong.
Well, are you still connected to Bluetooth while in your garage?

Do you have WiFi safe zone alerts turned on? It won’t alert you when you’re on your home WiFi to prevent false alerts because technically, the phone is not lost or forgotten behind yet.

If it’s for not forgetting in your garage, then yeah that’s what distance alerts are for.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Well, are you still connected to Bluetooth while in your garage?

Do you have WiFi safe zone alerts turned on? It won’t alert you when you’re on your home WiFi to prevent false alerts because technically, the phone is not lost or forgotten behind yet.

Yes I am still connected to Bluetooth while in the garage.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
No I do not have WiFi safe zone alerts turned on what is that ?
If you have a large home and you break Bluetooth connection in that large home but your watch and phone are still connected to the same WiFi, it won’t alert you so there aren’t any false alerts. It’s a setting that can be toggled.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
If you have a large home and you break Bluetooth connection in that large home but your watch and phone are still connected to the same WiFi, it won’t alert you so there aren’t any false alerts. It’s a setting that can be toggled.

Cool thanks.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
One last question how far does a bluetooth connection go from iPhone 11 to a Apple Watch 3 about?

Just curious if I ever switch setting if I have to be pulling out of the garage for it to actually ever go off.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
One last question how far does a bluetooth connection go from iPhone 11 to a Apple Watch 3 about?

Just curious if I ever switch setting if I have to be pulling out of the garage for it to actually ever go off.
Sorry I couldn’t answer that. A lot of variables which include obstructions and materials of the obstructions. You can easily test this by leaving your phone and walking away from it and see when you get that little icon at the top of the watch that looks like a red outline of a phone with a red slash going thru it.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Sorry I couldn’t answer that. A lot of variables which include obstructions and materials of the obstructions. You can easily test this by leaving your phone and walking away from it and see when you get that little icon at the top of the watch that looks like a red outline of a phone with a red slash going thru it.

Ok cool. Thank you!

I think I seen that before but it is rare.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok cool. Thank you!

I think I seen that before but it is rare.
Is your watch cellular? It pops up momentarily before connecting to cellular but if you’re in WiFi, you won’t see it at all.

This app is designed to be a last ditch effort in case you really lost your phone or left it behind somewhere like at a store. If you drive away from your house and forgot the phone at home, it will let you know you left it behind before long. The technology isnt really there to know when you’re in your garage about to pull out and you forgot the phone on your night stand.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Is your watch cellular? It pops up momentarily before connecting to cellular but if you’re in WiFi, you won’t see it at all.

This app is designed to be a last ditch effort in case you really lost your phone or left it behind somewhere like at a store. If you drive away from your house and forgot the phone at home, it will let you know you left it behind before long. The technology isnt really there to know when you’re in your garage about to pull out and you forgot the phone on your night stand.

No it is not cellular maybe I didn't see it then.

That is weird.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I just forgot when I go get the mail it will most likely go off.

Oh well.

To bad you can't set a whitelist for a certain time to not go off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.