Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Did you do the paid version or free version? I’ve had the paid version with actual Bluetooth disconnect alerts (not just distance alerts) and it’s been flawless. As soon as Bluetooth breaks connection, I get an alert on my watch. It’s loud and annoying too which is good but the haptics also work great.
Hi @Itinj24 - does the white circular navigation status icon stay continuously visible on your Apple Watch
with Phone Buddy running and active? That is the case for me, and I wish I could turn it off and still
have the app work properly.

Update: The answer is yes, the mark will ALWAYS be displayed because at this time this is a WatchOS requirement.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi @Itinj24 - does the white circular navigation status icon stay continuously visible on your Apple Watch
with Phone Buddy running and active? That is the case for me, and I wish I could turn it off and still
have the app work properly.

Update: The answer is yes, the mark will ALWAYS be displayed because at this time this is a WatchOS requirement.
Yep, you got your answer. It’s not on the app or developer.

Reactions: rojocrandall

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just forgot when I go get the mail it will most likely go off.

Oh well.

To bad you can't set a whitelist for a certain time to not go off.
Hey, good idea about the schedule. I’ll send it to to the dev. I’m a beta tester for this app and they’re very responsive to feature requests and issues that need resolving. I usually just shut off phone alerts when I’m home though. I have this app as a complication so the status is always staring back at me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zealgr

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Is anyone else getting this constant notification badge on Mobeleash when they close out the app and if so, what hardware/software are you running? Thanks.
Hi, thank you for using MOBELEASH. The App needs you to (please) leave MOBELEASH open in the background on your iPhone. from MOBELEASH Support "Don't forget your phone!"

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
I find that I am leaving my phone in my car way too much.

Does anyone know of an app for Watch that will alert you when the Watch disconnects from the iPhone?

I've played with Phone Buddy but it is apparently GPS based and - frankly - not terribly reliable.

Thanks in advance!
Hi JowTomasone, may we (humbly) suggest taking a look at MOBELEASH $0.99 in the App Store. From MOBELEASH Support "Don't forget your phone!"

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
The reverse (leaving the watch and taking the phone) didn't work for me in Mobeleash either. Taking off the watch locks in, and the phone app has no function or interface at all, other than settings, so Mobeleash is solely an app for the watch. But it does seem to work pretty well. It is solely bluetooth based, so it will trigger a disconnection in your home or office if you separate for long enough from BT (so does not seem to use wifi at all).

in the documentation for Phone Buddy, which I haven't tried, it says that is has the watch check for a connection to the phone, when the watch detects "activity". But what happens if you are sitting still, and someone steals your bag that contains the phone. Does either app notify in that situation, when the watch is not moving and the phone is? To test this, I need to get my partner to take my phone away out of a connection (so may try that at least for Mobeleash).
Hi, we hope you are all well. Correct MOBELEASH is a "virtual-leash" App that will notify you on your Apple Watch WHEN you are leaving your iPhone behind ... so you can go get it! Thank you. From MOBELEASH Support.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi, thank you for using MOBELEASH. The App needs you to (please) leave MOBELEASH open in the background on your iPhone. from MOBELEASH Support "Don't forget your phone!"
I posted this over a year ago and I’ve since moved on. I tried bringing a few issues I had with the app to your attention but your answer was to remove me as a beta tester. I have a moral obligation to be truthful of my experiences to the MacRumors forum members, especially when the app has a monetary cost. Hopefully the bugs and issues have since been sorted out but looks like the persistent notification is still there. Thank you for the info though.

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
I posted this over a year ago and I’ve since moved on. I tried bringing a few issues I had with the app to your attention but your answer was to remove me as a beta tester. I have a moral obligation to be truthful of my experiences to the MacRumors forum members, especially when the app has a monetary cost. Hopefully the bugs and issues have since been sorted out but looks like the persistent notification is still there. Thank you for the info though.
Hi Itinj24, we hope you are well. Thank you for your post. MOBELEASH agrees with your Post regarding sharing one's product experience. From MOBELEASH Support.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
There are a large number of these apps now, has anyone seen a comparison review of the different apps anywhere? It’s a shame Apple hasn’t baked this function into iOS / watchOS yet.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
There are a large number of these apps now, has anyone seen a comparison review of the different apps anywhere? It’s a shame Apple hasn’t baked this function into iOS / watchOS yet.
I’ve tried quite a few of them. I found Phone Buddy to be the most feature rich and reliable. But it’s just my experiences.

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, we hope you are all well. MOBELEASH is a "virtual-leash" App that will notify you on your Apple Watch WHEN you are leaving your iPhone behind ... so you can go get it! You can view a quick Setup vid attached or on YouTube/ MOBELEASH Thank you. From MOBELEASH Support.

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, no sorry, it does not work with Tablets. Thank you for considering MOBELEASH. don't forget your phone!

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, did you know that MOBELEASH has no user account to log into? Therefore users are anonymous to the App and the App Developer; completely protecting your privacy. from MOBELEASH Support

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, did you know that MOBELEASH is "smart" and "knows" if you are in a dense BT environment i.e. indoors or not i.e. outdoors? And recalibrates automatically as you go about your busy day.from MOBELEASH Support

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, did you know that MOBELEASH is a one-time cost of .99 cents US. from MOBELEASH Support

MOBELEASH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, did you know that MOBELEASH has a Default, and a Travel mode, so you keep your iPhone even closer when you are on a plane, train or in a taxi etc? And MOBELEASH works even when you don't have Data or WiFi connection. from MOBELEASH Support "don't forget your phone!"

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Be aware that apps like Phone Buddy and Mobeleash use a lot of watch battery, given the nature of the app.
I can’t argue that this was the case in early versions. Battery drain is now negligible. I’m still getting 24 hours out of my S6 44mm easily with Phone Buddy enabled.

• Wow
Reactions: Dopestar

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi, did you know that MOBELEASH has a Default, and a Travel mode, so you keep your iPhone even closer when you are on a plane, train or in a taxi etc? And MOBELEASH works even when you don't have Data or WiFi connection. from MOBELEASH Support "don't forget your phone!"
Does MOBELEASH still require the app to be running in the background with a perpetual notification banner on the app icon? This drove me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.