Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
I have the early 2019 MacBook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports and no issues here. Wonder why it's just affecting the 2 thunderbolt 3 port models refreshed in July.
Only 2019 entry model.
My MBP 2019 2xTB was shutting down without warning at 66% of the battery. I returned machine to the store. I will wait for the 2020 model.

Reactions: Marekul

georgB

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Europe
Damn, damn, damn! Apple once made Rolls-Royces. Then they started to make Rolls-Royces with only 3 wheels. Now they’re making Edsels with 3 wheels. The Edsel is now history.

Reactions: Marekul

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
And, thus ends my life long dissertation on cold fusion, the meaning of life, and definitive proof of a singular deity.

Now, I'll just hit the save butto........

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Settle down MR commenters.

This is likely just a software bug. They happen.
Happening a lot lately for Apple...

It's not like only Apple has these sorts of issues. A little while ago a number of Surface devices, including my own Surface Laptop 2, had an annoying issue where if you shut it down fully charged it would always start up with about 75% power according to the battery indicator, even if it had only been shut down for 1 minute! It took many reports/complaints from users over about 2 months before a firmware update finally fixed it.

Reactions: XXPP

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I have a 2018 13" MacBook Pro with 4 ports, and since the last OS X update, it's been happening 4-6 times daily!!

This is software. It's crap. It never happens while I am working on it or watching, but if I go out of the room and it goes to sleep (maybe) the whole thing does a restart glitch. I hear my LG monitor PING and it tells me that the computer had a tantrum. And there's the password screen and a report warning.

Hope they fix it next update. Apple seems to be more involved in activism for non-computer issues than they are involved in making their products work properly. 2011 is gone, welcome to 2020!

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I don't think i like this "fix"

"Update to the latest Mac OS?" Why not just step over Step 6 ?
Because they have interns, business majors, or anyone that's not interested in technology writing these support documents. Read the verbiage used and "professional" steps laid out which reads as if it were completed in less than 5 minutes. Did the employees who edit/create these documents let their high school kid write it?
Maybe the same ones who wrote the warning on the HomePod support page whenever they released software version 13.2. It was the most unnoticeable warning I've ever seen posted for a software release which bricked the HomePod beyond user recovery. Not there's a user recoverable method for a speaker which could have been implemented.
It's not much different than a good portion of those that are put into the Apple "Genius" tech positions who were hired more for their looks, personality, and smile with the ability to act surprised and spout off the same rhetoric of this is unusual, rare, limited, never happens, and so on.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I have a 2018 13" MacBook Pro with 4 ports, and since the last OS X update, it's been happening 4-6 times daily!!

This is software. It's crap. It never happens while I am working on it or watching, but if I go out of the room and it goes to sleep (maybe) the whole thing does a restart glitch. I hear my LG monitor PING and it tells me that the computer had a tantrum. And there's the password screen and a report warning.

Hope they fix it next update. Apple seems to be more involved in activism for non-computer issues than they are involved in making their products work properly. 2011 is gone, welcome to 2020!

"Apple seems to be more involved in activism for non-computer issues than they are involved in making their products work properly."

More involved in activism? What activism would that be?

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Seems like "it just works" is more wishful thinking than brand execution.
2 things
1. Most of the time, Apple products do just work, but, as with any company, there will be problems.
2. Apple has not used the line "It just works" in a very long time. At least 5 years, probably longer

Reactions: raybo

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I’m sure for people with this issue “utterly exhausting “. You just spent $$$$ on a MacBook and yet another issue pops up.

Yes this stuff happens but it certainly seems to be happening far to often at Apple. Wether it’s software or hardware

Tim Cook needs to start demanding better. It looks bad when your ceo is grandstanding on political and social issues, while frequently releasing software with tons of bugs and hardware that has problems. His “real” job should be pushing for perfection at Apple.

ONCE AGAIN, and everyone say it with me this time: Tim Cook’s sociopolitical actions have NO BEARING on quality control at Apple! Being a CEO and being a person aren’t mutually exclusive concepts!

Yes, there’s a quality control problem at Apple.

Yes, it probably has a lot to do with Tim Cook’s lack of attention to detail or interest in Apple’s products.

NO, you shouldn’t be making Cook’s sociopolitical policies into a scape goat.

[The edit made by moderators culled the entire last sentence, instead of the specific content they said was inappropriate. Sigh. So I put it back, minus the offending content.]

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
heh... Someone hacked my wife's credit card and bought one of these on a popular e-commerce web site (that shall remain nameless). We received notification of a significant card charge which we reported within 10 minutes, which wasn't fast enough to avoid it shipping (WTF!)... We weren't sure exactly what it was until it showed up on our doorstep a day later :oops: Me thinks fast shipping may not be such a good idea??

We reported the situation to the police but when the police officer arrived they just told me to contact the seller and get a return label to send it back. We tried to explain it was an organized theft ring, and asked if there was a fraud unit that could stake out our porch to catch the thief. The officer said "you might think so but no, we don't have anything like that".

The best part: The credit card company removed the charge from our bill, and the retailer has NOT asked for the laptop back.

The laptop is technically "hot" so I can't use it. I'm thinking a "Will it blend" type of experiment? Or some sort of destructive unboxing? This type of end for the POS makes even more sense now that we know it's probably defective anyway.

Please respond with ideas as to how it shall meet its destructive end.
[automerge]1575439279[/automerge]

Wrong.

Software defect: "Wait for software update".
Hardware defect: "Contact Apple for Service" (meaning bring/send in for replacement).
Don't destroy it, Take it to an. Apple Store, or a Best Buy, explain what happened, and tell them to take it. Someone could use that

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
These comments are funny. Try creating a device as intricate as your modern laptop and see if you run into no issues ever. Just for arguments sake, let's say this is happening to 1% of devices, a small percentage but a lot of laptops. It makes sense why something like that could slip through QA from time to time. Every company that makes similar products deals with issues like these because expecting perfection is silly. As long as the issue is addressed and support is provided, what's the big issue?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Literally..... this board in a nutshell - any time an issue occurs: "Wouldnt happen if Steve were here!!!"

As if there were no issues when he was still alive, everything was perfect and everyone was always smiling. SMH.

Yes, Apple products had issues when Jobs was in charge.

No, the problems weren’t this frequent or numerous. Things are WORSE, and have been going downhill since 2013. TONS of bugs introduced in iOS 7 are STILL present (as well as the reduced ease of use and intuitiveness... and the pathetic GUI cosmetics... introduced in iOS 7).

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I had two generations MacBook Pro's that had GPU issues...

Yea, my MacBook Pro 3,1 that suicided due to thermal design problems and/or GPU design flaws was definitely under Jobs. The solution for customers was never good either: they just gave you another of the same logic board when yours died. Meaning, you’d end up with a dead machine again eventually. Then the replacement program ended because there were no more spare logic boards left. That’s why mine sits uselessly in a box. I couldn’t even sell it for parts.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Quality at Apple died when Steve Jobs passed

That statement is about as close to reality as stating that the sun is purple.
[automerge]1575470401[/automerge]
Yes, Apple products had issues when Jobs was in charge.

No, the problems weren’t this frequent or numerous. Things are WORSE, and have been going downhill since 2013. TONS of bugs introduced in iOS 7 are STILL present (as well as the reduced ease of use and intuitiveness... and the pathetic GUI cosmetics... introduced in iOS 7).

Apple is 5 times larger than when Steve Jobs was around, so yeah there should be more things breaking. But people infer way too much from these kinds of clickbait articles and forum postings.

Reactions: the johnmc

varsity

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
This is a simple fix. You are suppose to just buy a new one. Obviously the devices are old. My iPhone 11 Pro Max had a camera issue.. the genius bar tech let me know it's because my phone was old... duh!

Reactions: PC_tech

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
ONCE AGAIN, and everyone say it with me this time: Tim Cook’s sociopolitical actions have NO BEARING on quality control at Apple! Being a CEO and being a person aren’t mutually exclusive concepts!

Yes, there’s a quality control problem at Apple.

Yes, it probably has a lot to do with Tim Cook’s lack of attention to detail or interest in Apple’s products.

He’s the CEO. He is responsible for everything. He should be focused on Apple solely. the fact that you admit he should pay more attention to Apple speaks volumes.

Stop with the social grandstanding and do your job. Your paid millions of dollars to focus on Apple and any issue that come up. There’s been lots lately. And it just so happens it all seems to have started since Tim Cook started the political social grandstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.