Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Um... iPhones? Apple Watches? iPads? MacBooks? iMacs? Mac Pro?
These are all personal computers, rather you think so or not.
Apple doesn’t want to make personal computers any longer. It couldn’t be more obvious. They are only doing it cause they feel they have too.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'm branding this shut-gate. You heard it here first.

No. The whole ridiculous use of the word 'gate' being appended to every minute problem needs to stop. This is not a 'gate'. Do you even know why that word was initially used? (without resorting to google?)

Reactions: the johnmc

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
He’s the CEO. He is responsible for everything. He should be focused on Apple solely. the fact that you admit he should pay more attention to Apple speaks volumes.

Stop with the social grandstanding and do your job. Your paid millions of dollars to focus on Apple and any issue that come up. There’s been lots lately. And it just so happens it all seems to have started since Tim Cook started the political social grandstanding.

You’re not listening: being a CEO and being a person are not mutually-exclusive activities. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO LOGIC in the argument that Cook’s sociopolitical activities take ANY focus from his job. You just want to attack the politics, so you draw a conclusion that there’s a causal relationship between the two things. Correlation does NOT equal causation.
[automerge]1575471764[/automerge]
Oh, the irony.

You’ll explain it, I’m sure.
[automerge]1575471858[/automerge]
heh... Someone hacked my wife's credit card and bought one of these on a popular e-commerce web site (that shall remain nameless). We received notification of a significant card charge which we reported within 10 minutes, which wasn't fast enough to avoid it shipping (WTF!)... We weren't sure exactly what it was until it showed up on our doorstep a day later :oops: Me thinks fast shipping may not be such a good idea??

We reported the situation to the police but when the police officer arrived they just told me to contact the seller and get a return label to send it back. We tried to explain it was an organized theft ring, and asked if there was a fraud unit that could stake out our porch to catch the thief. The officer said "you might think so but no, we don't have anything like that".

The best part: The credit card company removed the charge from our bill, and the retailer has NOT asked for the laptop back.

The laptop is technically "hot" so I can't use it. I'm thinking a "Will it blend" type of experiment? Or some sort of destructive unboxing? This type of end for the POS makes even more sense now that we know it's probably defective anyway.

Please respond with ideas as to how it shall meet its destructive end.

Destroying something that might work just fine is so WASTEFUL. Consult the authorities and find out what the proper handling of the merchandise is. DON’T DESTROY IT. We are a wasteful enough society already.

Last edited by a moderator:

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
It just works... sometimes.

This year has been a rough one for quality control.
And the last year..... and the year prior..... and the year prior..... and the year prior....
[automerge]1575472602[/automerge]
Apple even can't produce a single model without defect now. Shame.
But they have become quite good at producing every model with one or more defects!

It's part of Apples "You can't ask for better quality" policy because they won't give it.

LeonardXW

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
My 4 thunderbolt MacBook Pro 13” 2019 shutdown by himself for once. And also not responding for one time recently.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Quality at Apple died when Steve Jobs passed
Ugh, these get so tiring.
[automerge]1575474001[/automerge]
It's probably "a small number of users" who are having these issues.... just like the "small number of users" who were "having issues with their third-generation butterfly keyboard." I'm sure Apple is sorry and "the vast majority of Mac notebook customers are having a positive experience." It's because of these positive experiences that Apple is going back to the scissor switch keyboard.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...h-third-generation-macbook-keyboards.2175220/
No one knows how many were impacted with butterfly keyboards either. They still sell the butterfly keyboards and waited 4 years to redesign.

Again, relatively speaking, it probably is a small number of users. Apple sells a lot of stuff (300,000,000 units of stuff per year). If they didn't understand quality control, they wouldn't be in their position.

• Wow
Reactions: decypher44

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
So are your constant posts in defense of known defects in Apple products.
No one said there aren't some keyboards with issues or a small number of Macs that shut down unexpectedly. However, without real data, stop acting like you know something.

"Defect" is a high bar.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
No one said there aren't some keyboards with issues or a small number of Macs that shut down unexpectedly. However, without real data, stop acting like you know something.

"Defect" is a high bar.
You should apply for a job with Apple when describing every single service program they have to create for these defects. They use the same wording as you with "small number". Coincidentally, it's always a small quantifier to describe the problems. Bet, you don't notice that correlation in consistently using terms to downplay the extent of those affected or do you. ?

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
heh... Someone hacked my wife's credit card and bought one of these on a popular e-commerce web site (that shall remain nameless). We received notification of a significant card charge which we reported within 10 minutes, which wasn't fast enough to avoid it shipping (WTF!)... We weren't sure exactly what it was until it showed up on our doorstep a day later :oops: Me thinks fast shipping may not be such a good idea??

We reported the situation to the police but when the police officer arrived they just told me to contact the seller and get a return label to send it back. We tried to explain it was an organized theft ring, and asked if there was a fraud unit that could stake out our porch to catch the thief. The officer said "you might think so but no, we don't have anything like that".

The best part: The credit card company removed the charge from our bill, and the retailer has NOT asked for the laptop back.

The laptop is technically "hot" so I can't use it. I'm thinking a "Will it blend" type of experiment? Or some sort of destructive unboxing? This type of end for the POS makes even more sense now that we know it's probably defective anyway.

Please respond with ideas as to how it shall meet its destructive end.
[automerge]1575439279[/automerge]

Wrong.

Software defect: "Wait for software update".
Hardware defect: "Contact Apple for Service" (meaning bring/send in for replacement).

Even worse the perpetrators could have planted a tampered laptop on your doorstep. If they've put malware on it, they can potentially get all kinds of data from a user(s) if you decide to keep/gift it. This is a tough one.

Reactions: PC_tech

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Great. This is the unit I own. :eek: So far no issues, though. Guess I'll bookmark this page "just in case."

EDIT: Yes, now I recall opening the laptop and seeing some message about my Mac restarting because it encountered "a problem." The crash report seemed to indicate a USB issue. I have an Apple Watch charger and a JBL mini speaker attached to a dongle. The problem seemed to go away when I detached the JBL and charged it separately.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Yep, but Jobs also hit things out of the park to make up for the goofs. Cook has not hit anything out of the park, hence all we remember is the goofs.
Since hitting out of the park involved introducing products never seen before, it’s silly to try to use that as a metric in a mature marketplace.
[automerge]1575477960[/automerge]
Even worse the perpetrators could have planted a tampered laptop on your doorstep. If they've put malware on it, they can potentially get all kinds of data from a user(s) if you decide to keep/gift it. This is a tough one.
Now that’s funny right there, you think he is a leader or someone worth going through all that?

Reactions: PC_tech

CanyonLizard

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Chicago
Steve did (you are holding it wrong), but nothing like the key board problems of the Macbooks. So many people are not touching macbooks until they get ride of the junk keyboard.

Steve would have screamed, yelled, and probably mistreated the manager/employees responsible for it (even if unjustified). He was that nuts!

Tim is like.. as long as my dongle sales are up, who cares about macbooks!

MacBook?... “What’s a computer?”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.