Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Thank
I had the misfortune of reading earlier pages of this thread.

The simple science is the vaccine drastically reduces ones chance of getting COVID, which then reduces the chance of that person spreading it. For a person to spread COVID, they need to first get COVID, and the vaccines reduce this chance. The vaccine also is effective at significantly decreasing the severity of cases even when breakout cases do occur.

No the vaccine isn't 100 percent effective. However I don't think there is a single vaccine or medical treatment that is, so with that logic, no one should seek any medical treatment as none of it is 100 percent effective. It's like turning down a modern safe car with Airbags + autonomous saftey features because it's not 100 percent guaranteed to save your life in a crash, and instead choosing a 1960s car with no saftey features whatsoever, and a much higher risk of death.

The reason vaccinated people are concerned about people who aren't vaccinated is that non vaccinated people still pose a heightened risk to their health. Breakthrough cases can occur in vaccinated people. If you have two people in a room, both vaccinated, they have a chance of passing COVID to each other, but the chance of this occurring is reduced science they're both less likely to get COVID. If the scenario changes, and one is vaccinated and one is not, then the chances of the unvaccinated person having COVID are much higher than the previous scenario. The heightened chance of the first person having COVID, means a much heightened chance for the 2nd vaccinated person to then catch COVID in a breakout case. This heightened chance is the same regardless of what the statistics say on how contagious vaccinated vs unvaccinated people are.

That leads us to the even higher chance of transmission between two unvaccinated people. Both people in this scenario are more likely to contract COVID when exposed to it, and thus are more likely to have COVID, thus more likely to spread it to the unvaccinated person, and the unvaccinated person is more likely to then contract it. Both are on top of this far more likely to have a severe case of COVID.

So with that established, that brings us to the fact that a small minority of people have real medical reasons why they can't be vaccinated. These people rely on others getting vaccinated to reduce the chances they'll be exposed to covid and therefore reduce the chances of them contracting COVID. The more unvaccinated people there are, the higher the chance that these people will get COVID, which is unfair on them given many would like the extra protection vaccination offers but are simply unable to take it up.

COVID is serious. Yes while lots of people make full recoveries, there are significant numbers who go on to suffer from 'Long Covid'. Plenty of people suffer from serious cases of COVID which can cause all sorts of serious medical issues with the body. Plenty of otherwise healthy people have become very sick with COVID. Those who say that "oh well COVID only effects those with preexisting conditions" ignore the fact that around 20 percent of adults (18-64)in the US have a preexisting condition which puts them at a higher risk of a serious case of COVD. That's 1 in 5! Then there are all the 65+ who are also at higher risk - the total is nearly 4/10 Americans are at higher risk. - 2 in 5. These are huge numbers of people, not a small subsection of people.

Then theres also the problem of hospitals and ICU departments being stretched beyond breaking point. Medical staff are risking their own wellbeing to treat patients with COVID, who likely wouldn't be in hospital if they'd been vaccinated. This takes away from the resources hospitals have to deal with other patients in critical condition and makes it riskier to operate and treat patients whose health depends on being treated. My cousins are nurses, one works in emergency and it frustrates me greatly that her chances of getting COVID are so much higher because of people who are medically able but refuse vaccination.

If a person's vaccination status had no bearing on other people's wellbeing, there would be a lot less care from others on who was vaccinated or not, but the fact remains that people's choices with regards to vaccination impact others.
I had the misfortune of reading earlier pages of this thread.

The simple science is the vaccine drastically reduces ones chance of getting COVID, which then reduces the chance of that person spreading it. For a person to spread COVID, they need to first get COVID, and the vaccines reduce this chance. The vaccine also is effective at significantly decreasing the severity of cases even when breakout cases do occur.

No the vaccine isn't 100 percent effective. However I don't think there is a single vaccine or medical treatment that is, so with that logic, no one should seek any medical treatment as none of it is 100 percent effective. It's like turning down a modern safe car with Airbags + autonomous saftey features because it's not 100 percent guaranteed to save your life in a crash, and instead choosing a 1960s car with no saftey features whatsoever, and a much higher risk of death.

The reason vaccinated people are concerned about people who aren't vaccinated is that non vaccinated people still pose a heightened risk to their health. Breakthrough cases can occur in vaccinated people. If you have two people in a room, both vaccinated, they have a chance of passing COVID to each other, but the chance of this occurring is reduced science they're both less likely to get COVID. If the scenario changes, and one is vaccinated and one is not, then the chances of the unvaccinated person having COVID are much higher than the previous scenario. The heightened chance of the first person having COVID, means a much heightened chance for the 2nd vaccinated person to then catch COVID in a breakout case. This heightened chance is the same regardless of what the statistics say on how contagious vaccinated vs unvaccinated people are.

That leads us to the even higher chance of transmission between two unvaccinated people. Both people in this scenario are more likely to contract COVID when exposed to it, and thus are more likely to have COVID, thus more likely to spread it to the unvaccinated person, and the unvaccinated person is more likely to then contract it. Both are on top of this far more likely to have a severe case of COVID.

So with that established, that brings us to the fact that a small minority of people have real medical reasons why they can't be vaccinated. These people rely on others getting vaccinated to reduce the chances they'll be exposed to covid and therefore reduce the chances of them contracting COVID. The more unvaccinated people there are, the higher the chance that these people will get COVID, which is unfair on them given many would like the extra protection vaccination offers but are simply unable to take it up.

COVID is serious. Yes while lots of people make full recoveries, there are significant numbers who go on to suffer from 'Long Covid'. Plenty of people suffer from serious cases of COVID which can cause all sorts of serious medical issues with the body. Plenty of otherwise healthy people have become very sick with COVID. Those who say that "oh well COVID only effects those with preexisting conditions" ignore the fact that around 20 percent of adults (18-64)in the US have a preexisting condition which puts them at a higher risk of a serious case of COVD. That's 1 in 5! Then there are all the 65+ who are also at higher risk - the total is nearly 4/10 Americans are at higher risk. - 2 in 5. These are huge numbers of people, not a small subsection of people.

Then theres also the problem of hospitals and ICU departments being stretched beyond breaking point. Medical staff are risking their own wellbeing to treat patients with COVID, who likely wouldn't be in hospital if they'd been vaccinated. This takes away from the resources hospitals have to deal with other patients in critical condition and makes it riskier to operate and treat patients whose health depends on being treated. My cousins are nurses, one works in emergency and it frustrates me greatly that her chances of getting COVID are so much higher because of people who are medically able but refuse vaccination.

If a person's vaccination status had no bearing on other people's wellbeing, there would be a lot less care from others on who was vaccinated or not, but the fact remains that people's choices with regards to vaccination impact others.
Simultaneously believing in and not believing in efficacy of the vaccine…even accounting for not-100%. A person has a right to what they put in their body. I don’t care what any government/agency says. I’m vaccinated. I’m so over people saying get it.. so the vaccinated can be protected from the unvaccinated. I know I can still get COVID but I would never pressure/shame others into getting it. And this BS of telling someone who doesn’t agree with you to not seek medical help..vile. People don’t have to explain their reasons. I know a guy that has a friend who had a stroke from the vax.. try telling his friends to take that jab. It’s not binary.

Reactions: fenderbass146

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Moderator Note:

More bickering has been deleted. Again, keep it civil.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
AIDS patients? The obese?
If people purposefully ignore the methods for avoiding AIDS and obesity, then maybe they should be.

AIDS can be acquired due to lack of knowledge or by a slip in judgment. People who are anti vax aren't being so due to a slip in judgment, or a lack of knowledge, they are purposefully ignoring proven science.

Obesity is pretty complex. Plenty of people are predisposed to it. Or become obese due to other heath issues. Or a complex combination of factors. It's not as simple as people becoming obese because they ignore proven science.

Neither of these conditions are putting hospital ICU wards under intense stress. Obesity doesn't threaten healthcare workers and HIV is far easier than COVID to prevent transmission meaning (I believe).

Not really a fair or valid comparison.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
If people purposefully ignore the methods for avoiding AIDS and obesity, then maybe they should be.

AIDS can be acquired due to lack of knowledge or by a slip in judgment. People who are anti vax aren't being so due to a slip in judgment, or a lack of knowledge, they are purposefully ignoring proven science.

Obesity is pretty complex. Plenty of people are predisposed to it. Or become obese due to other heath issues. Or a complex combination of factors. It's not as simple as people becoming obese because they ignore proven science.

Neither of these conditions are putting hospital ICU wards under intense stress. Obesity doesn't threaten healthcare workers and HIV is far easier than COVID to prevent transmission meaning (I believe).

Not really a fair or valid comparison.
The vast majority of obese people can do something about it. It’s just not popular to talk about it. My brother & sister are very overweight. My brother literally told me he was low-risk and I told him respectfully..BS. I could lie to him but I won’t. Obesity absolutely puts a stain on healthcare. Heart, diabetes, orthopedic.. all things related. There are absolutely beds filled with conditions directly related to obesity. You can say you don’t find the comparison valid but that doesn’t make it not valid.

• Disagree
Reactions: tonyr6 and jk73

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
A person has a right to what they put in their body.

People at work also have the right to not be exposed to people who have a much higher chance of giving them COVID.

Simultaneously believing in and not believing in efficacy of the vaccine…even accounting for not-100%

Not sure where you got that from.

The vaccines don't have 100 percent efficacy, which is why unvaccinated people pose a risk to vaccinated people.

No vaccines offer 100 percent efficacy.

• Angry
Reactions: tpfang56 and jk73

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
People at work also have the right to not be exposed to people who have a much higher chance of giving them COVID.

Not sure where you got that from.

The vaccines don't have 100 percent efficacy, which is why unvaccinated people pose a risk to vaccinated people.

No vaccines offer 100 percent efficacy.
I never said I was against vax requirements by employers. I don't agree with them but that is a decision for employers/employees. My employer does not require it. My wife, who is C level, .. they decided to mandate it.

It is my view, you can't say.. oh.. they kind of work.. but they kind of don't work.. so everyone should get them, regardless of their own medical decisions.. since they kind of work but kind of don't work. It's literally trying to argue a static point using opposing logic.

Reactions: jk73

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The vast majority of obese people can do something about it. It’s just not popular to talk about it. My brother & sister are very overweight. My brother literally told me he was low-risk and I told him respectfully..BS. I could lie to him but I won’t. Obesity absolutely puts a stain on healthcare. Heart, diabetes, orthopedic.. all things related. There are absolutely beds filled with conditions directly related to obesity. You can say you don’t find the comparison valid but that doesn’t make it not valid.

You can also say that it is valid, but that doesn't make it valid.

1. Explain to me how Obesity puts the health of healthcare workers at risk?

2. Obesity may put a strain on hospitals, but not nearly to the same extent as COVID is doing

3. Show me the simple injection/pill/whatever that significantly stops people from getting obese.

4. Solving obesity can be simple in some cases, but in may others it involves a wide range of issues - for example economic factors (ensuring people are paid enough to eat healthy) and mental health factors (including access to mental health help and reducing the mental strain on people in general which is very complex). Again this is vs COVID where there are highly effective vaccines.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
We just witnessed college football stadiums across the nation, filled with 10s of thousands of fans, with and without masks.. vaccinated and unvaccinated.. for two weeks now. No major outbreaks.

COVID isn't going away.. the it kind of works but kind of doesn't work.. logic to force people to get it isn't fair or logical, in my opinion. There is a vaccine. There are treatments (my brother got them). While I am personally not attending a college football game this year.. it's time to realize we are not going to vaccinate ourselves out of COVID. It has to 'burn out' like any other virus. Sad reality.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It is my view, you can't say.. oh.. they kind of work.. but they kind of don't work.. so everyone should get them, regardless of their own medical decisions.. since they kind of work but kind of don't work. It's literally trying to argue a static point using opposing logic.

With this attitude, nobody should be getting any vaccines for anything because "they kind of work.. but they kind of don't work".

The nature of vaccines is that in your words "they kind of work.. but they kind of don't work". That is the nature of every single medicine and pretty much every single safeguard of human life (seatbelts, airbags, etc etc).

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
You can also say that it is valid, but that doesn't make it valid.

1. Explain to me how Obesity puts the health of healthcare workers at risk?

2. Obesity may put a strain on hospitals, but not nearly to the same extent as COVID is doing

3. Show me the simple injection/pill/whatever that significantly stops people from getting obese.

4. Solving obesity can be simple in some cases, but in may others it involves a wide range of issues - for example economic factors (ensuring people are paid enough to eat healthy) and mental health factors (including access to mental health help and reducing the mental strain on people in general which is very complex). Again this is vs COVID where there are highly effective vaccines.
Obesity causes issues that fill hospital beds. .. funny how all these medical professionals who were heroes .. who don't want the vax are now evil.. FIRE THEM!

You can't say that obesity doesn't put a strain on hospitals. Obesity causes a myriad of conditions that require hospitalization. Your opinion here doesn't = fact.

Again, you are leaning on the vax as if it stops COVID.. it kind of works and it kind of doesn't work.. that is actually a fact.

You are ignoring issues caused by the vax. Can you literally type all this that blows off obesity but ignores side effects of the vax. Convenient.

No disrespect but I objectively don't care what your opinion is. My opinion is that people should not be forced/pressured to put something in their body that they do not want in their body 'for the greater good'. I don't care what laws or regulations force it. I fundamentally believe each person has a choice. You don't have to agree with that.

With this attitude, nobody should be getting any vaccines for anything because "they kind of work.. but they kind of don't work".

The nature of vaccines is that in your words "they kind of work.. but they kind of don't work". That is the nature of every single medicine and pretty much every single safeguard of human life (seatbelts, airbags, etc etc).
Never said no one should get them. I said they should be a PERSONAL decision. Obviously people who want them should get them. I did.

We are literally seeing people celebrate the death of people and saying people should be denied medical care based on personal medical decisions.. I think that's vile.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Take what started my comments here.. The CDC came out and said the estimated % of those with some type of immunity to COVID is 83%. The initial target for herd immunity was 70-80%. Why aren't we talking about that on the news? Natual (post-COVID) immunity is a real thing? How does that just get discounted?

My point is that the fervent pro-vaccine people enjoy using the .. it works but doesn't work.. as HARD LOGIC to FORCE people to be vaccinated while not looking at immunity studies and maybe saying.. oh.. 83%.. let's dive into that some more to see if it's truly representative.... nope. Anything that goes against the narrative of GET THE VAX is discounted... and that is why many don't trust those screaming GET THE VAX.

On top of that.. we know from studies all over the world.. take Israel.. that we will not vaccinate ourselves out of this pandemic.. at some point people have to realize that life comes with risks that cannot be eliminated.. and before anyone says.. oh.. but there is so much we can do.. well, we have effectively shut down the country for over year, killed small businesses (convenient transfer of wealth BTW), created a generation of paranoid/hypochondriac kids and parents.. I would say we have, as a world population, made quite the attempt and efforts to beat down the pandemic. At some point.. you have to just get back to living.

Reactions: tonyr6 and jk73

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Honest question.. why doesn't this intense level of being-vaccinated scrutiny apply to our Southern Border? Why are we not creating lines and jabbing as they come though processing? I am trying to understand how it's OK to call for fellow Americans to die based on a choice but crickets while we watch thousands flow into our nation unvaccinated. How does JUST GET THE VAX not apply to them? Why are there no protests at the border to all those unvaccinated being allowed to just ignore all the science?

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
A person has a right to what they put in their body.
And a society should have the right to define what it allows to remain in its collective body as well. Simple social contract theory. It's how we justify excluding criminals and immigrants from our society as well.

No one is saying those that resist vaccines should be executed. But some things are traded for the privilege of participating in a given society. Don't sexually exhibit yourself in public. Don't physically harm other people. Don't litter. Pay taxes. Get your vaccines.

If you want to be able to exercise ultimate freedom, form your own society of one.

I'm glad we're collectively taking the approach of ratcheting up restrictions on those that refuse vaccines, and therefore threaten society, increasingly over time. I hope that the increasing pain of these restrictions coerce more and more of the resistant to get vaccinated, which is just what we're seeing happen. Thumbs up!

• Disagree

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
And a society should have the right to define what it allows to remain in its collective body as well. Simple social contract theory. It's how we justify excluding criminals and immigrants from society as well.

No one is saying those that resist vaccines should be executed. But some things are traded for the privilege of participating in a given society. Don't sexually exhibit yourself in public. Don't physically harm other people. Don't litter. Pay taxes. Get your vaccines.

If you want to be able to exercise ultimate freedom, form your own society of one.

I'm glad we're collectively taking the approach of ratcheting up restrictions on those that refuse vaccines, and therefore threaten society, increasingly over
Society can try. I fundamentally disagree that society gets to make medical decisions for a person. I don’t care what law or regulation dictates it. I live in LA.. per the news we are all in total lockdown and doing what society/regulations say we should…have to do. That’s the furthest thing from reality. A crime is a direct and binary action…that is, well illegal. I guess laws solved that too. Seems not everyone is buying in on this social contract. Society is a whole, not just the part you agree with.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Edit: nevermind, having a discussion about this on an internet forum whose participants are exactly 0% qualified to argue either side is the true definition of a waste of time.

• Angry
Reactions: jk73 and I7guy

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Same to you, and you're unfortunately in the minority here. Better luck with your next hot-button opinion.
Minority/majority means nothing. It isn’t a poll to justify medical decisions for people. I’m vaccinated based on conversations with my doctor. I don’t get to apply my decisions to others.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Minority/majority means nothing. It isn’t a poll to justify medical decisions for people. I’m vaccinated based on conversations with my doctor. I don’t get to apply my decisions to others.
You're wrong here. There is case law supporting medical mandates from both the state and employers. You're simply... wrong.

• Angry

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Edit: nevermind, having a discussion about this on an internet forum whose participants are exactly 0% qualified to argue either side is the true definition of a waste of time.
Yes. If I refuse vaccination and an employer requires it I lose my job. Sure.
You're wrong here. There is case law supporting medical mandates from both the state and employers. You're simply... wrong.
Watch how this goes over the next few months. Feel free to show us that Case law that someone has to be vaccinated. If it exists, why is Biden trying to back door mandates via employers.. and those regs aren’t even written yet.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
As someone who takes care of people with Covid, I can tell you from personal experience that statement about under 50 being fine is false. The average age of patients in our ICU with Covid, right now, is 48. And automobile fatalities are not even in the same zip code as Covid. There were 38,680 auto fatalities last year in the US. More than that have died of Covid in the last month. Furthermore, people are dying every day of non-Covid illnesses because Covid patients are clogging the hospitals.

If you really believe you don't need to get vaccinated, then you should put your money where your mouth is and agree not to seek care at a hospital when you do get sick. If you're not willing to do that, then do everyone a favor and man up and get your vaccination.
It’s the average age because 85% of people over 65 are now vaccinated. I am vaccinated, everyone should be but it should be their choice. Mandates are bs and are a major government overstep. Under 50 accounts for less then 6% of all covid deaths in the US. My body my choice…that’s the argument I’ve been hearing for the last 20 years for another topic…

In the first wave of covid cities were setting up emergency overflow hospitals…why arn’t we doing that now. There no reason we should be running out of beds/supplies other then poor planning and prep.

also, I wasn’t comparing covid to car accidents, I was pointing out that if saving lives is the only thing that matters we could take all our freedoms to save lives. Why not just tell people they can’t leave there homes…we could save almost everyone. Policy has more factors then just lives as much as you don’t want to believe that.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I've had several patients who've gotten Covid twice, and one who got it three times. Reinfection is a real thing.
So are false positves and breakthrough infections with the vaccine. Your anectodal story means nothing. Reinfection with major problems for both natural infection and vaccinated is rare.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
We just witnessed college football stadiums across the nation, filled with 10s of thousands of fans, with and without masks.. vaccinated and unvaccinated.. for two weeks now. No major outbreaks.

COVID isn't going away.. the it kind of works but kind of doesn't work.. logic to force people to get it isn't fair or logical, in my opinion. There is a vaccine. There are treatments (my brother got them). While I am personally not attending a college football game this year.. it's time to realize we are not going to vaccinate ourselves out of COVID. It has to 'burn out' like any other virus. Sad reality.
100% it’s amazing how many people think we can “beat“ this….every epidimologist understands that’s not how this ends but that would be saying the quite part out loud and they can’t do that.

Reactions: jk73 and PBz

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
So are false positves and breakthrough infections with the vaccine. Your anectodal story means nothing. Reinfection with major problems for both natural infection and vaccinated is rare.
We just found out tonight my BIL has COVID for the second time. Not vaccinated. Mild so far. It’s been over a year since the first.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Breakthrough infections happens; the Yankees proved that. That there were not "major" outbreaks at a packed sporting even is anecdotal. There could have been a lot of COVID cases that weren't reported.
COVID isn't going away.. the it kind of works but kind of doesn't work.. logic to force people to get it isn't fair or logical, in my opinion.
Kids are forced to get vaccines prior to entering school.
There is a vaccine. There are treatments (my brother got them). While I am personally not attending a college football game this year.. it's time to realize we are not going to vaccinate ourselves out of COVID. It has to 'burn out' like any other virus. Sad reality.
Without the vaccine we would be left with masks, social distancing, closed businesses, filled hospitals etc, imo, for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.