Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
As others have said, it's a PR stunt. But it's worked in Apple's favor. Tim Apple knows how to play the game. Apple has repeatedly been given exemptions from the tariffs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-gr...s-from-tariffs-on-chinese-imports-11569018993

U.S. Grants Apple 10 Exemptions from Tariffs on Chinese Imports

Sept. 20, 2019

WASHINGTON—The Trump administration has given Apple Inc. AAPL -1.16% a reprieve from tariffs on 10 items, including a power supply and a logic board, that are imported from China.

They were among the $200 billion worth of Chinese imports first targeted for tariffs in September 2018.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative on Friday granted Apple exemptions on its Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2 and various internal components. The exclusions cover a time period from September 2018 to August 2020, and the U.S. will refund tariffs already paid.

And they might get them again.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ld-be-exempt-from-china-tariffs-idUSKBN1XU2SN

Trump considering whether Apple should be exempt from China tariffs

November 20, 2019

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Wednesday after touring a plant that assembles Apple Inc. computers that he was considering whether to exempt the U.S. company from tariffs on imports from China.

“We’re looking at that,” Trump said in answer to a reporter’s question about the tariffs, after touring a plant in Austin, Texas, with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook that assembles the company’s Mac Pro desktop computers.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Whoever ‘shopped this photo needs to find a different career, because that is terrible.

It took a second look after reading your post to realize the lady's is definitely shopped. A third look at it I have to assume his is as well.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Nice gesture, PR move or not however the studies have been done and it's proven that Apple cannot make a profit if they move all manufacturing out of China.

Reactions: dominiongamma

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
It’s really great Apple is assembling the Mac Pro in the USA. I like buying products that support jobs that pay a livable wage. I think the sewer must be backed up though because there are some orange turds floating around in here. Anyone have a peach we can plug it up with?

Reactions: jjhny and Moi Ici

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
This would never have happened unless it wasn't for the Trump tax cuts.

The iPhone will never be produced in the US but the Mac Pro is a good gesture on behalf of Apple. Of course, they gain a lot more than they lose (profitability) in boosting their brand for doing this.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
* Assembled...
[automerge]1574309433[/automerge]
I love that Tim’s helmet doesn’t fit properly. It’s symbolic of this pathetic PR stunt to play to Trump’s ego so Apple can get tariff exemptions. It reminds me of how the Saudi’s plastered his Trump posters everywhere like a visiting dictator.

I generally love Apple’s values, but this a bridge too far. For shame Tim. For shame.

All you've done is highlight your ignorance with respect to construction PPE. Well done.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hope with this new facility Apple will do what many car companies do in modern facilities ... make production modular. Allow the production line to be changed/adaptable.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
It’s good you point this out, but I wonder if it matters anymore?

The left will say it’s just a new building for something Apple has been doing since 2013 and it won’t create new blue collar jobs. It’s all PR.

The right will say Trump himself moved Apple production back to the US creating 12 million new jobs. And he invented the Mac Pro.

Last edited:

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Huh. So why does it say "Made in China" on the box?

And what does he mean by he "believes" it's made everywhere? Is it, or isn't it? If it is he should talk to the guys who print the text on the box and the back of the phone 'cuz it still reads "Made in China."

The components are made in many corners of the globe. The glass is made in Kentucky, for example. All those components are assembled in China.

We can debate all day whether or not it’s a good thing they’re assembled in China, but that’s very different from making every single part in China.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I think you should read up on the definition of proud. You can be proud of your own achievements but not for someone visiting a factory. To your defense, the word ‘proud’ is overly and incorrectly used in US all the time.

Incorrect. Pride can be inwardly or outwardly directed. It is not uncommon for one to take pride in the qualities of another person when you admire and relate to such qualities, especially in a case like this where I assume Bryan supported this person despite overwhelming cultural pressure to do otherwise.

Now, to reduce the meaning of Bryan's post to a strict literal interpretation - being proud of "someone visiting a factory" - is either disingenuous or obtuse. I'm not sure which is worse, but clearly Bryan is proud of something greater that this event represents. It is not difficult to put together that he is proud that the president he supported made this happen.

Much better.

I don't like Trump, but if you are a citizen of the United States, then he is our president. "Not my president" was a foolish thing to say when Republicans said it about Obama and it is a foolish thing to say about Trump. If you really believe it then I wonder what other forms of self-deceit you indulge in.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
We’re proud of you Tim!

Apple is the biggest investor in American people, and always will be. Every dollar you spend on Apple products and services helps grow that investment.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Everyone on their high horse saying "it's a PR stunt"…

NO KIDDING!!

Hell, a tower configuration for $6000 is a stunt anymore. Of course it is. Optics matter. Getting tariffs dropped on iPhone parts will more than cover the losses generated out of this plant.

Is it all calculated? By golly, yes.

Tim Apple is playing the game, and winning. Anyone complaining about the PR stunt... all PR is a stunt. That's why it's PR. Tim should be getting *credit* for playing the Trump administration like a fiddle.

I'm not a Tim fan... I think he's laid some turds. But the 16" is out and it wasn't afraid to go back to tried & true (Kuo whiff, again), and he's beating the US government at the China game. 2019 has finally been a good one for Tim... his moment is going to be in 2022, when the AR game is won and lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.