Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Watch the massive price hike! This surely will have an impact to price increases across the board.
Not necessarily. iPhones are very small in comparison so shipping components from around the world to China then shipping a bunch of assembled phones back to the US is relatively in expensive (compared to shipping Mac Pros around the world). Plus, I suspect there will be a lot of automation in the new factory so labor costs will be a relatively small percentage of total costs. I am happy to see this and I wish them well.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Lol really? Never would have thought that cost of living in third world conditions and slave labor camps is much lower... maybe that’s a model we should import to western countries?

That's not how cost of living works and work condition doesn't have anything to do with the wage. It simply costs less to live in China in general because the cost of goods and services are lower. There is no "model" to import because there is no model to talk of.

Also, China is a second world country, although that's not really relevant information here.
[automerge]1574338234[/automerge]
Is this picture even real ? Look at the woman‘s hands, her hair and the helmet. Looks photoshopped, if not made up for me.

If you had read the article you'd known it's from a video interview. Unless you're suggesting that they did in in front of a green screen... :p

Reactions: spinnyd

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I love that Tim’s helmet doesn’t fit properly. It’s symbolic of this pathetic PR stunt to play to Trump’s ego so Apple can get tariff exemptions. It reminds me of how the Saudi’s plastered his Trump posters everywhere like a visiting dictator.

I generally love Apple’s values, but this a bridge too far. For shame Tim. For shame.
I've worn hard hats on numerous occasions and the fit of Tim's hard hat looks fine to me. They are designed with internal webbing / straps to make the shell stand off of your head an inch or so to cushion the impact of something striking your head.
[automerge]1574338977[/automerge]
Aren't all the electronics and components made in China anyway? So this is just final assembly and the odd manufactered item, maybe the case or something... Complete PR stunt.
I teach Operations Management and Supply Chain Management for a Big 10 University. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding where to locate factories including where components are coming from, where the main market is located, availability of skilled workforce, taxes & tariffs, political considerations, etc. Was politics a factor in Apple's decision to build a factory in Texas? Very likely. Did Apple do it just for political reasons / PR stunt? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I understand why they need to give Trump this photo op (tariff help), but I wish they would stand by their morals in this regard. They always tout that their principles drive their decisions, but this clearly motivated by money and overlooks a lot of shortcomings of the current administration.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Another day, another cringefest of a PR exercise.
[automerge]1574339893[/automerge]
I understand why they need to give Trump this photo op (tariff help), but I wish they would stand by their morals in this regard. They always tout that their principles drive their decisions, but this clearly motivated by money and overlooks a lot of shortcomings of the current administration.
Morals? Trump literally doesn't recognise the concept, he probably thinks they're back teeth. Whereas Cook's are infamously fluid, hence the accusations of hypocrisy. Honestly, I'm not sure who is worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: snek

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
its funny seeing a ceo wearing a hard hat like they've been actually doing hard labor

Reactions: snek

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Give it up, dorks. The iPhone will never be made here... and it shouldn't be. It would cost Apple more money. Apple is a business. A business's sole purpose for existing is profit. GET. OVER. IT.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Unless it changed it doesn’t. It says assembled in China.
It hasn't changed. iPhones are "Assembled in China" not "Made in China".
[automerge]1574341512[/automerge]
Huh. So why does it say "Made in China" on the box?

And what does he mean by he "believes" it's made everywhere? Is it, or isn't it? If it is he should talk to the guys who print the text on the box and the back of the phone 'cuz it still reads "Made in China."
It doesn't say "Made in China". iPhones are "Assembled in China". Now your definition of made and assembled might be the same but Tim Cook is correct. Notice he didn't say the Mac Pro is "Made in America" -- it's "built" or assembled here using parts from all over the world.
[automerge]1574341715[/automerge]
If you were to take apart the iPhone you would see many of the silicone components that are made in the United States as well," he added.

We‘ll have to take his word for it, because most people can no longer take their Apple devices apart anymore. The days of repairable are over.
Which is exactly how Steve Jobs wanted Apple products (if we can believe Walter Isaacson's biography).

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
its funny seeing a ceo wearing a hard hat like they've been actually doing hard labor

It is required by labour laws to wear personal protective equipment when on a construction site. It's for safety, not to masquerade that they are a blue collar worker. When clients come to our sites they are required to wear hats, vests, and boots just like the workers.

For the people making fun of the Apple Logo, even that is normal. Many contractors, designers, and trades have their hard hats branded. I am sure Apple keeps a bunch of PPE equipment on site for their walkthroughs.

Certainly this interview is PR ... but when the PR is on a construction site, this attire is required for safety not simply pageantry.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Certainly this interview is PR ... but when the PR is on a construction site, this attire is required for safety not simply pageantry.

for the people in the back. he is required by law.

but the pr stunt is the assembly plant has been in production since 2013.

yes, it has been building mac pros since 2013. (putting together)

This is a trump level PR stunt.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Apple had announced they were stopping Mac Pro production at this plant.

When the latest Mac Pro was announced, it was to be produced in China.

Only after working a deal with Trump over some tariff waivers, did Cook announce that Mac Pros were going to be made in Texas again.

I have a 12-core 2013 built in Texas. An amazing machine, super quiet in the studio, and very subtly smells exactly like mouth watering BBQ.

Right. So the point would stand if the new tariffs weren’t announced there wouldn’t be a need for a waiver...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I would agree in situations like Hong Kong but nothing like that is happening in the United States. Hate Trump all you want (and I do) but I’ll bet your life isn‘t much different than it was before Trump. This photo op didn’t make a ton of news. Tim Cook publicly correcting Trump would be all over the news. Why would Cook want to invite the wrath of Twitter Trump and MAGA world? He (and Apple) doesn’t need the headache and news attention it would cause.

Reactions: Marekul

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sickening when companies suck up to evil just for business. Be it China or the potato.

cook didn’t even bother to correct Trump when he took credit and claimed today was a good day when that factory didn’t even open just yesterday!
potato? What potato?

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
Right...... the shortcomings of the current administration is worse than the murdering human-rights-abusing country China that has no regards for life or freedom at all..... which is also the country that most of Apple's crap is manufactured in.

Yep the real issue here is Trump! Because it's Trump and we can't like Trump because it triggers us!
[automerge]1574347970[/automerge]
potato? What potato?
It's a lame attempt at insulting Trump because liberals are triggered by the thought, sight, sound, or mention of him.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Right...... the shortcomings of the current administration is worse than the murdering human-rights-abusing country China that has no regards for life or freedom at all..... which is also the country that most of Apple's crap is manufactured in.

Yep the real issue here is Trump! Because it's Trump and we can't like Trump because it triggers us!
[automerge]1574347970[/automerge]

It's a lame attempt at insulting Trump because liberals are triggered by the thought, sight, sound, or mention of him.

I wasn't correlating or comparing the two. Both are problematic and are no good for society.
[automerge]1574350077[/automerge]
I would agree in situations like Hong Kong but nothing like that is happening in the United States. Hate Trump all you want (and I do) but I’ll bet your life isn‘t much different than it was before Trump. This photo op didn’t make a ton of news. Tim Cook publicly correcting Trump would be all over the news. Why would Cook want to invite the wrath of Twitter Trump and MAGA world? He (and Apple) doesn’t need the headache and news attention it would cause.

That's a fair point. It hasn't for the most part, aside from me recognizing more and more how truly corrupt things are and how the bulk of America is too dumb to realize it. I suppose I should be used to Apple speaking out both sides of their mouth, as every company generally does.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
If that is the facility where they are building the new Mac Pro, I don't think it will be shipping this year.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
I wasn't correlating or comparing the two. Both are problematic and are no good for society.
[automerge]1574350077[/automerge]

That's a fair point. It hasn't for the most part, aside from me recognizing more and more how truly corrupt things are and how the bulk of America is too dumb to realize it. I suppose I should be used to Apple speaking out both sides of their mouth, as every company generally does.
Trump has been doing more for society than the Democrats have. Trump is actually making changes for the better of Americans as a whole versus the continued witch hunt the Democrats have been fueling for the past three years.

You really have to try hard to ignore the positive things that have been happening.

But hey, don't worry Democrats, if the Republicans grow a pair they'll use the same BS against you when you get in office. The Democrats have set new standards for low and no morals.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Trump has been doing more for society than the Democrats have. Trump is actually making changes for the better of Americans as a whole versus the continued witch hunt the Democrats have been fueling for the past three years.

You really have to try hard to ignore the positive things that have been happening.

But hey, don't worry Democrats, if the Republicans grow a pair they'll use the same BS against you when you get in office. The Democrats have set new standards for low and no morals.

like what positive things? Being shining an example that criminal and corrupt behavior is ok? That your own advantage is always the most important goal? That constant lying and bullsh**ting is fine?
Great way to teach your children really! Maga!

Reactions: Moonlight
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.