Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I love that Tim’s helmet doesn’t fit properly. It’s symbolic of this pathetic PR stunt to play to Trump’s ego so Apple can get tariff exemptions. It reminds me of how the Saudi’s plastered his Trump posters everywhere like a visiting dictator.

I generally love Apple’s values, but this a bridge too far. For shame Tim. For shame.
Now that you mention it, the hardhat on the lady’s head also looks photoshopped when you zoom in ?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
This would never have happened unless it wasn't for the Trump tax cuts.

Did you skip over the part where apple have been building mac pros there since 2013?!

The components are made in many corners of the globe. The glass is made in Kentucky, for example. All those components are assembled in China.

We can debate all day whether or not it’s a good thing they’re assembled in China, but that’s very different from making every single part in China.

more specifically the last country a product was assembled in before completion slaps the “made in” badge on it

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Aren't all the electronics and components made in China anyway? So this is just final assembly and the odd manufactered item, maybe the case or something... Complete PR stunt.
not just electronic.. it is cheaper to buy rather then manufacturer even in asean country.So most will do re-packaging ..

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
"Cook added that "in terms of the Hong Kong situation, I hope and pray for everyone's safety," and "more broadly I pray for dialogue, because I think that good people coming together can decide ways forward.""

This is blatant and dangerous ignorance. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has blatantly violated the handover treaty. The Hong Kong authorities have been corrupted by the CCP and are now seen as a puppet.

The CCP will never implement 2 systems 1 country because they know communism falls without authoritarianism - this is why the CCP cannot let a democratic system stand in Hong Kong. Crushing democracy in Hong Kong is a blatant admission that communism is the failed system. Dialog will never take place because the CCP cannot allow it.

There is no possible path forward while the CCP continues to willfully operate with blatant lawlessness.

Timmy the Crook and other people in such positions are enabling the CCP to continue its despicable behavior.

A famous quote almost applies here: "what we must fear most is the indifference of good men."

I say almost because Timmy should know better, but because Timmy hasn't taken the correct position about this issue, I cannot consider him a good man. He is a CCP puppet.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Is this picture even real ? Look at the woman‘s hands, her hair and the helmet. Looks photoshopped, if not made up for me.

Reactions: Marekul

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Aren't all the electronics and components made in China anyway? So this is just final assembly and the odd manufactered item, maybe the case or something... Complete PR stunt.
Yeah, many of the inexpensive passive components are made in China (though some others are likely made in Japan). Most of the high value components are not. For example, the $3000 CPU used in the Mac Pro is made in the US.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Sickening when companies suck up to evil just for business. Be it China or the potato.

cook didn’t even bother to correct Trump when he took credit and claimed today was a good day when that factory didn’t even open just yesterday!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sickening when companies suck up to evil just for business. Be it China or the potato.

cook didn’t even bother to correct Trump when he took credit and claimed today was a good day when that factory didn’t even open just yesterday!
Keep your eyes on the prize. If you can get the tariffs waived, what’s a little Apple polishing?

Reactions: andrewr2123

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
This isn’t a new plant. mac pros were assembles in Texas since 2013.

Apple had announced they were stopping Mac Pro production at this plant.

When the latest Mac Pro was announced, it was to be produced in China.

Only after working a deal with Trump over some tariff waivers, did Cook announce that Mac Pros were going to be made in Texas again.

I have a 12-core 2013 built in Texas. An amazing machine, super quiet in the studio, and very subtly smells exactly like mouth watering BBQ.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Ahhhhh all this talk about “shipping to the Americas” is making me really f****ng nervous over here in Europe!! I hope there’s another factory or that this is just to please trumps tiny ego.

Reactions: dabotsonline

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
If you were to take apart the iPhone you would see many of the silicone components that are made in the United States as well," he added.

We‘ll have to take his word for it, because most people can no longer take their Apple devices apart anymore. The days of repairable are over.

Reactions: dabotsonline

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Huh. So why does it say "Made in China" on the box?

And what does he mean by he "believes" it's made everywhere? Is it, or isn't it? If it is he should talk to the guys who print the text on the box and the back of the phone 'cuz it still reads "Made in China."

No Apple product says it's made in China. It says "Assembled in China" because most of the components like the CPU, the glass of the screen, the SSD, the camera module, the accelerometer, and the RAM are usually made in countries like Germany, Japan, Korea, and the U.S. then shipped to China for final assembly, which means most of the value of an iPhone isn't actually from China. The parts actually produced in China is usually only the chassis, battery, and some antenna modules.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Introducing @Apple NEW Mac Pro! Proudly Made in the USA!"

33685-59597-16CD1035-0EBD-4060-BCE1-24ED371784A8-l.jpg

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
It’s really great Apple is assembling the Mac Pro in the USA. I like buying products that support jobs that pay a livable wage. I think the sewer must be backed up though because there are some orange turds floating around in here. Anyone have a peach we can plug it up with?

I don't disagree with you about the livable wage, but I have to point out the workers in China are not trying to earn a wage to live in the U.S. Their wage is more than sufficient for living in China, where cost of living is much lower, especially for spending in rural areas.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
I don't disagree with you about the livable wage, but I have to point out the workers in China are not trying to earn a wage to live in the U.S. Their wage is more than sufficient for living in China, where cost of living is much lower, especially for spending in rural areas.
Lol really? Never would have thought that cost of living in third world conditions and slave labor camps is much lower... maybe that’s a model we should import to western countries?

Reactions: MisterAndrew
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.