Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Ineffective is not the same limited effectiveness, which is what the CDC said in their study quoted in May 2020. In the early days of the pandemic, limited effectiveness was much better than not effective because there was no other tool in place.
2% difference is statistically insignificant, especially in a study where the variables and controls weren’t properly identified. If the last 2 years demonstrated anything about the CDC, it’s that they are just another example of gov’t bureaucracy incompetence.

Also, even if face masks were effective, people have something called eyes that are an entry point for airborne viruses.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
2% difference is statistically insignificant, especially in a study where the variables and controls weren’t properly identified. If the last 2 years demonstrated anything about the CDC, it’s that they are just another example of gov’t bureaucracy incompetence.

Also, even if face masks were effective, people have something called eyes that are an entry point for airborne viruses.
2% in may 2020 is better than 0%. That 2% could make the difference between live or die. But there is varied research on the efficacy of masks. Personally I’ll take a small percentage over no percentage.

I followed the rules and I’m glad there is gradual shift of back to normalcy as possible. I’m not a “live free or die” type of person. If I ride a bike I’ll wear a helmet.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
This is premature and the responses here are appalling.

I guess nobody here gives a damn about people like my friend with cancer who has a compromised immune system.

Being vaccinated doesn’t stop you getting it. It just makes you more apt to not suffer from it. It also doesn’t stop you giving it to other people, including people with compromised immune systems, who, even while vaccinated, may have a far worse time of it or be at risk of death.

And then there’s long covid.

But yeah, let’s all just act like everything is fine... ?

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
What’s funny is this should of been ages ago but it took apple 2 years to add unlock with wearing a mask and it’s still not out to the public, and the pandemic is over and no where makes you wear a mask lol
Frankly, that was one of the dumbest ideas to ever get "green lighted" by a tech company in recent memory.

Let's make a phone secure against other people accessing your private data with bio-metrics, and use a system far more advanced than the competition has where they just compare your image from a regular video camera to a saved copy of the image of your face. Great! Now, let's gimp the entire thing by deciding we can determine who you are while a mask covers half of your face!

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
That's the point though, right? If you want to wear a mask, you can! No one is stopping you.

The expectation to not ever get sick again is unrealistic and delusional. There are many things that are "potentially deadly," but living in a free society means that you can make a cost benefit analysis and do whatever you feel like you need to do to protect yourself and your family. Omicron proved that just testing positive at this point is a worthless measurement. It's time to get back to life.
The problem is when YOU make that “cost/benefit analysis” for OTHER people, especially anyone with compromised immune systems who don’t have a choice.

We wear masks to protect OTHERS. It’s that simple, and yet so many people can’t be bothered to care.

Last edited:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Then don’t take that risk if you’re worried. Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, that’s the point everyone has been making since the start - do whatever you want. Want to wear a mask? Go for it. Want to keep getting boosters? Go for it. Want to lockdown? Go for it. Just don’t subject the way you want to live your life on others (not saying you ever have, just speaking generally).
Can you even see the hypocrisy in this statement? You’re okay with subjecting OTHERS to YOUR preference to stop being concerned about the pandemic. We wear masks to protect OTHERS. Apparently you have no immune-compromised family or friends. I DO. She’s terrified of people making decisions for HER.

Another guy here called it a “cost/benefit analysis”, FFS.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
I hate when I read these discussions and feel compelled to get into arguments over it... But I feel the need to at least say this, in defense of many other people who commented here:

If you or someone you know suffers from a compromised immune system due to a chronic illness or disease? Then obviously, that's a special case! These people are at a high risk of dying if they catch anything that's going around in the general public. This was true long before COVID.

It's far from "not giving a damn" about them to say that logically, they're going to have to take precautions for their OWN health that the rest of the population shouldn't be "on the hook" to take on their behalf.

I guess nobody here gives a damn about people like my friend with cancer who has a compromised immune system.

Being vaccinated doesn’t stop you getting it. It just makes you more apt to not suffer from it. It also doesn’t stop you giving it to other people, including people with compromised immune systems, who, even while vaccinated, may have a far worse time of it or be at risk of death.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Unfortunately a very close relative of my wife just died in February 15th from Covid…. She was fully vaccinated and boosted, so to be honest, this has not reached its end yet, and the true is that thousands of people is still dying worldwide day to day, so this is still a roulette (although we agree or not), that’s the ugly and raw true. So better to keep care of ourselves, given that we don’t know how well our bodies will react to a contagion even if we are fully vaccinated.

PLEASE NOTE: I’m not justifying to be afraid, I’m just talking about keeping those cares which allows us to meet a reasonable balance between being safe and feel comfortable ourselves.
Fear, such as fear of death or fear of long-term health consequences, is RATIONAL.

First off, my condolences. Secondly, that is the problem with masks and the "vaccine". You can still wear one or four and get it. You can be "vaccinated" and boosted...and still get it. I for one would love to see what the pre existing conditions were of those that have died of covid. Could it have been a contributing factor...sure. I have seen so many people that are not wearing masks properly...or they wear the same one for days on end. Depending on the mask, they only last 4-8 hours. It depends on the box statement. People were wearing knitted masks...I don't know what that would stop.

I had a friend that died as well of covid. He also had copd. It begs to question: which did he really die of...covid? Or copd? or both? I think the certificate said covid...but is that really true? Was it a contributing factor? Sure. Until we are told the truth of people that died that had pre existing conditions or not...can anyone say for certain?

IF you look at the shot record for the "vaccine"...there are more than two lines for the shots...was this the plan all along? Or were they not certain that 2 shots would do what they thought it would do? No one will ever say in this life time.
You’re basically declaring that some people don’t deserve to be protected or their deaths counted because of “preexisting conditions”.

If other people are already vaccinated and masked, why do you care what the rest of the people do?
Because people with immune system deficits are forced to rely on those AROUND THEM being cautious and giving a damn about them.

I hate when I read these discussions and feel compelled to get into arguments over it... But I feel the need to at least say this, in defense of many other people who commented here:

If you or someone you know suffers from a compromised immune system due to a chronic illness or disease? Then obviously, that's a special case! These people are at a high risk of dying if they catch anything that's going around in the general public. This was true long before COVID.

It's far from "not giving a damn" about them to say that logically, they're going to have to take precautions for their OWN health that the rest of the population shouldn't be "on the hook" to take on their behalf.
They’re at risk of other things beyond covid, yes. They DO take precautions of their own, but now you’re expecting them to never go out in public again, because there’s an infectious agent coursing through our civilization that wasn’t there before, and a political decision has been made to act like the pandemic is over.

Covid is a particularly exceptional risk, that has had us IN A STATE OF PANDEMIC, in terms of its presence/availability and its risk factor to everyone, let alone vulnerable people.

We live in a society. The whole POINT is that we HELP EACH OTHER.

I’ve said enough. I’m closing this tab for my own sanity. If people already can’t be bothered to think about others, me chiding them won’t do a damned thing to change their ways. It’s grotesque and depressing.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Yes, especially people who lost loved ones to this “thing” like I lost my perfectly healthy brother to it
Sorry for your loss. I lost a close friend of mine as well. At this point, everybody has lost someone to it. I don't mean to belittle the damage that has taken place. This thing is man-made and it has reaped havoc on our world. My point is that if you want to get vaccinated, do it. If you want to wear a mask, do it. But the Omicron surge shows that people will still get sick with the significant majority having mild symptoms and then recover, especially they've been vaccinated. It's always going to be here, so we have to find a way to live with it without further destroying our economy and wrecking the psychological health of our children.

Reactions: mdkdue and jaymc

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Unfortunately a very close relative of my wife just died in February 15th from Covid…. She was fully vaccinated and boosted, so to be honest, this has not reached its end yet, and the true is that thousands of people is still dying worldwide day to day, so this is still a roulette (although we agree or not), that’s the ugly and raw true. So better to keep care of ourselves, given that we don’t know how well our bodies will react to a contagion even if we are fully vaccinated.

PLEASE NOTE: I’m not justifying to be afraid, I’m just talking about keeping those cares which allows us to meet a reasonable balance between being safe and feel comfortable ourselves.
I'm sorry to hear about that. I too lost a dear friend near the end of last year. I think you're right. We should all do what we feel like we need to do keep our own selves safe. This thing is going to be around for a long time, so we have to find a reasonable way to cope with it. Masks, in this case, have been determined by the CDC to only be helpful when it's a N95 worn correctly, so if that is correct, mask requirements that are passable with any cloth or non-N95 surgical mask are about control, not health. I wish this thing didn't exist as much as the next person, but the reality of our situation is that it's here, it's probably now endemic, and we have to deal with it without trashing our economy or the psychological health of the citizens, especially our children.

Reactions: jaymc

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
2% in may 2020 is better than 0%. That 2% could make the difference between live or die. But there is varied research on the efficacy of masks. Personally I’ll take a small percentage over no percentage.

I followed the rules and I’m glad there is gradual shift of back to normalcy as possible. I’m not a “live free or die” type of person. If I ride a bike I’ll wear a helmet.
Like I said, statistically insignificant, meaning the study cannot conclude it was 2% more effective. But hey, if it makes you feel safe, then by all means, mask away. I don’t judge people who mask/vax or don’t mask/vax like some others.

Just know that while your face mask may or may not be 2% more effective, what we do know with 100% certainty is that face masks are devastating for the environment.

Reactions: jaymc

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
Germany like: You need to be boostered + show a negative test, wear a N95 Mask and meet no more than 10 people at a time. What a time to be alive ?
You don’t need a test for shopping when you are boostered and even the booster shot will soon stop being mandatory.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Why can't we just err on the side of caution until the spring? We've gone this long, why not just finish out the winter.
Because this has been over for a long time for the great portion of the population based on age. So much sciencing all over the place and stuff.

Reactions: djstile

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009

Wear an N95. Take care of oneself as best as possible.
Life is full of risks and people who are more/less vulnerable to them. It is time to stop pretending we can make this go away. It is here to stay. We have all done our part to slow the spread to ensure the medical system could cope.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Like I said, statistically insignificant, meaning the study cannot conclude it was 2% more effective. But hey, if it makes you feel safe, then by all means, mask away. I don’t judge people who mask/vax or don’t mask/vax like some others.

Just know that while your face mask may or may not be 2% more effective, what we do know with 100% certainty is that face masks are devastating for the environment.
I’m more worried about human lives that were saved by wearing masks than the environment. Statistically insignificant <> meaningless. And if you want to cling to this one study, you go for it.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I’m more worried about human lives that were saved by wearing masks than the environment. Statistically insignificant <> meaningless. And if you want to cling to this one study, you go for it.
I guess you didn’t click on the link to the long list of peer reviewed studies in my original post that showed masks were ineffective, but like I said, go ahead and continue wearing your mask if that makes you happy. If you don’t trust the studies (I don’t necessarily blame you since studies can be manipulated easily), you can always look at simple real world data that shows how mask mandates and other authoritarian measures like vaccine passports did nothing to slow the spread of Covid. This is just a small sample and this data you can fact check yourself...

1646449187249.jpeg

1646449219701.jpeg

1646449296412.jpeg

1646450026590.jpeg

1646450069968.png

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I guess you didn’t click on the link to the long list of peer reviewed studies in my original post that showed masks were ineffective, but like I said, go ahead and continue wearing your mask if that makes you happy. If you don’t trust the studies (I don’t necessarily blame you since studies can be manipulated easily), you can always look at simple real world data that shows how mask mandates and other authoritarian measures like vaccine passports did nothing to slow the spread of Covid. This is just a small sample and this data you can fact check yourself...

[...]
Sure pick your study (or studies) and run with it. I don't blame you for doubting. There are multiple studies that provide conflicting information. Pick the ones you believe have the most authority and run with it. Don't mask or do mask, makes no difference to me. https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html Does the CDC know what it says? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

• Haha
Reactions: djstile

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Just curious, do you wear a mask outside?
I get a huge chuckle out of //r/covidatemyface/ The more previous antimask/vaccine posts can be compiled to accompany their obituary adds more context and makes is even more hilarious.

Doing the right thing is hard, inconvenient and requires discipline and consistency. Personally - ill be wearing my mask until the data demonstrates it’s safe not to. This pullback has happened before only to be followed by a nasty surge. So I’ll be watching the next few months intensely.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with wearing a mask outside. If only human breath were made visible like vaping - it would blow your mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.