Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
I hope the NLRB goes after them hard core. Tired of US companies deciding that labor laws and union protections don't apply to them. Starbucks, Amazon, Apple, they're all working from the same union-busting playbook. It worked for them in the last administration because they turned a blind eye, here's hoping the NLRB has some guts this time around. Some of y'all act like you've never worked a retail job in your lives. The idea that forming a union is so offensive to some folks here is beyond me. I wish my workplace was union, I'd sign a card in a hot second.
As bad as Apple is in retail, NOTHING compares to Amazon’s warehouse workers. I’m surprised they haven’t unionized faster.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Considering that the majority of users here are under 20 years old - it's obvious the ones here who know it all have never been in a union and are just learning to shave.

So here's a juicy bit of info to help y'all.

Apple IS ALLOWED to offer all of the union employees the same benefits as the non-union employees. They would just give the offer to the union who can accept or not. Simple.

That's why when a company wants to take away things - the union will usually deny it. And negotiations start.

Negotiations aren't needed for good things. That's just false.

But Apple wants to play games - pretending they are not allowed to do anything nice for anyone who is in the union.

And it's too bad that many of them, like many here - are uneducated in these things.

Yes, I've been in a union over 30 years, I know how it all works from both sides. I know it won't stop people from posting disinformation but someone here might be interested to know the truth in what 'could' be happening in this situation.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
As bad as Apple is in retail, NOTHING compares to Amazon’s warehouse workers. I’m surprised they haven’t unionized faster.
Have you ever worked in an Amazon warehouse? Have your ever been in an Amazon warehouse? Workers are generally thrilled to have Amazon opening in their areas. Why? Because they have very competitive pay and great benefits. The workers are free to unionize at any time. Yet, with just a few exceptions, they don't. It's really no surprise. Only for outside folks who presume to know that unions are a panacea for the workers.

trhoffmann

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
One of the basic foundations of labor law is that each union that represents Apple employees must negotiate benefits with Apple for their union members. Unionized employees do not get to pick and choose their benefits cafeteria style based on all the benefits Apple offers. Unionized employees get the benefits their union negotiates with Apple. Apple can legally offer union and non-union employees different benefits, as well as, negotiate different benefits for different unions. Apple cannot negotiate in bad faith.

As a union employee, you get the benefits your union negotiates, nothing more, nothing less.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Apple IS ALLOWED to offer all of the union employees the same benefits as the non-union employees. They would just give the offer to the union who can accept or not. Simple.
Sure they are allowed. Yet they are not allowed to take away from union employees the same benefits, or change work rules, or administer performance based layoffs as for non-union employees. At least not without a contract revision. Simple.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Considering that the majority of users here are under 20 years old - it's obvious the ones here who know it all have never been in a union and are just learning to shave.

So here's a juicy bit of info to help y'all.

That's why when a company wants to take away things - the union will usually deny it. And negotiations start.

Negotiations aren't needed for good things. That's just false.

But Apple wants to play games - pretending they are not allowed to do anything nice for anyone who is in the union.

And it's too bad that many of them, like many here - are uneducated in these things.

Yes, I've been in a union over 30 years, I know how it all works from both sides. I know it won't stop people from posting disinformation but someone here might be interested to know the truth in what 'could' be happening in this situation.
My dad was UAW with Caterpillar trucks. Just about everything you said is correct. However, my dad’s experience is different because the company and the union had infamous clashes and strikes, and it got VERY nasty. So nasty during the strike, multiple management personnel couldn’t get to work because people had put tire shredding spikes all over their driveways.

But I’ll tell you what, we had some of the best effing benefits *ever*. Two years before Obamacare was even thought of, the union benefits allowed me to stay on my parents plan until I was 26. And that used to be 30!

Anyway, back on topic.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Lol how much do you think union dues are? Significantly lower than you think. Also there isn’t a “middle man” lol.
IAM 751 Machinists at Boeing pay $93 per month. But they also make up to $50 per hour.
FRONTsept22.jpg

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Ideally, that is how it should work. Have you heard of employee-owned companies? The employees are the shareholders. They reap the fruits of their labor. Silicon Valley emulates this somewhat with employee stock options.

You unionize when management is your enemy. In an employee-owned company, you don’t need a union. You are management.
Apple is not an employee owned company. And no, that’s now how it should work.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Have you ever worked in an Amazon warehouse? Have your ever been in an Amazon warehouse? Workers are generally thrilled to have Amazon opening in their areas. Why? Because they have very competitive pay and great benefits. The workers are free to unionize at any time. Yet, with just a few exceptions, they don't. It's really no surprise. Only for outside folks who presume to know that unions are a panacea for the workers.
I’ve been in the Amazon warehouse in Fort Myers, FL. I’ve also seen Amazon’s mismanagement cause indirect deaths to workers outside of St. Louis during a tornado a year ago.

Workers are free to unionize. but Amazon uses underhanded tactics, intimidation, bullying, and flat out spying on their employees to get their way. That’s not me talking, that was found to be happening in their New York warehouses.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
did the union caused any troubles/had some unreasonable demands, or they were given the middle finger just for unionizing?
They negotiated different compensation (by contract) for the employees of that store than for any other Apple Store in the world.

They are complaining that other stores are changing the total compensation package and they aren't automatically getting free stuff.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Why are Americans so against unions?

They've been brainwashed to fear what is good for them - unions, free healthcare, free education, paid holidays, employment rights, food standards, ....
They are convinced many of these will cost them more money. The justification against it politically is usually that if the government manages things like educational or healthcare funding, there's no possibility that it would be done efficiently.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Why are Americans so against unions?

They've been brainwashed to fear what is good for them - unions, free healthcare, free education, paid holidays, employment rights, food standards, ....

We are exactly what Aldous Huxley predicted. The rich and powerful won't have to oppress us. They will teach us how to keep ourselves oppressed and to love and defend it. Look at the willing participants doing exactly that in this discussion. Amazing how easily some people can be taught to do this. And it's all bound up with patriotism which gives it a little extra punch.

Low pay, hard work, long hours, disrespectful treatment, and non-existent benefits. And profits all flow upward to the executives and shareholders. That's America, baby. Enjoy your pittance. If you disagree, you must be a communist and a whiner and a lefty who just wants free stuff.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
unionization = more expensive products

i don't mind paying for better worker pay, but if you're going to complain why the next iPhone is $100 more expensive, this is why

apple passes the cost onto consumers. don't like it? don't buy it. it's very simple
Or maybe it's continued record profits, executive compensation, fancy new buildings, and payments to lobbyists to protect their walled garden through legislation as much as possible?

The incremental cost increase for retail employees *pales* in comparison to the take home cash, stock, and perks compensation offered to executives of most companies, and Apple is no exception.

I'm not saying paying for performance is bad. I am not saying keeping labor costs competitive and reasonable is bad. I am saying that somehow misrepresenting the math is.

The multiplier between average retail employee wages and CEO/COO/VP/Director total comp is insane. Sure, there's an experience, skill, etc difference, but anyone who wants to try to justify that Tim Cook should be paid $98.7M while everyone moans about *maybe* $10M worth of total increased spend for thousands or retail workers being the reason product costs are going up simply can't do math.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
I hope the NLRB goes after them hard core. Tired of US companies deciding that labor laws and union protections don't apply to them.
Which labor laws do you have evidence of Apple violating? Give specific examples.

The idea that forming a union is so offensive to some folks here is beyond me. I wish my workplace was union, I'd sign a card in a hot second.
It sounds like that may have happened in this store - that the employees didn't really understand the pros and cons of joining a union, and only having their benefits and compensation improve when someone else can negotiate such on their behalf.

Thats the crux of unionization - deciding whether you think a third party would be better at representing your interests on your behalf (under the strength of collective bargaining) than your interests would be represented through your employer directly. Just like you can have a good or bad manager, you can have union representation that does or does not represent your needs. In fact, it is entirely possible to have both bad management and bad union representation, just like it is possible to have both be good.

I find it amazing that people who argue emotionally on both sides of this issue from a U.S.-centric point of view completely ignore just how much unionization of Apple employees exists internationally, as well as unionization at Apple's partners. It's not like this is some new concept or new headache for Apple, nor is it something they have taken any sort of retaliatory measure against that I know of.

Oh, and the labor conditions at Foxconn that people often attribute to abuse by Apple? Foxconn has the largest unionized workforce in the world. Doesn't matter when the union isn't properly representing the workers. Apple was the one who got outside auditing of the union, which then pushed for changes toward proper representation.

Reactions: strongy and Shamgar

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Most people? Sounds to me like you live in a bubble. I was introduced to PragerU content from a friend of mine and I found their videos to be quite insightful, factual, and common sensical. I’ve only met a handful of people who think as you do, and these people either never saw a PragerU video or didn’t have any facts to debunk/debate their viewpoints seriously. They were just parroting what other people told them.
PragerU videos are a joke. They have been deBOONKED many times. Here is one example

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
I don't think that is possible to shut down the store and fire them. If that would happen, there is going to be a civil lawsuit from each employee. I don't think Apple would be happy about that. Similar to this lawsuit below.

No, thaw lawsuit doesn’t have anything to do with this topic. Apple can of course close down then store without any repercussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.