Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. I HATE when people ask, "What do you do?" I agree that someone's worth is not determined by his job. Also, I prefer not going to gatherings. I am a misanthrope.

None of this changes the fact that if one flips burgers for a living, he has absolutely no leverage with the employer, and if one has a skill that is hard to come by and is high demand, one has all the leverage. So, flipping burgers for a living leads people to believe that if they have to put up with everything their boss demands then it must be the same way for everyone else.
One is a job. Another is a career. That’s how I view it. And yes in IT you get called any time of day or night for issues. THAT is what makes a career. Flipping burgers 9-5 and not doing anything until 9 the next day is a job. I have pulled 80 hour work weeks before. I’m salary so I don’t get paid extra. I’m happy to do it when it’s needed because that is what makes a career.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
One is a job. Another is a career. That’s how I view it. And yes in IT you get called any time of day or night for issues. THAT is what makes a career. Flipping burgers 9-5 and not doing anything until 9 the next day is a job. I have pulled 80 hour work weeks before. I’m salary so I don’t get paid extra. I’m happy to do it when it’s needed because that is what makes a career.
You're talking about IT Operations, not most development roles. Dev roles are typically not even on call. It's solely the "keep the lights on" roles that are working rotating shifts and on-call. (there are obvious exceptions - iCloud Dev's could be called in to fix a code update that causes global mayhem, for example).

Apple does have a reputation as being a bit of a "sweat shop" - expecting much of their staff to work 6 days a week. Not sure if that changed under Tim's leadership...cultures tend to shift very slowly. If that is still the case, I could definitely see a lot of their staff very much wanting a better work/life balance by working more of their time at home.

It's not just the time lost on the commute - anyone with young families will be saving a LOT of money on childcare by having one of the parents at home all/most of the time. That's a major impact on their financial health.

In our own IT shop, we saw many staff buy homes considerably further from the city, as they expected to be able to continue to work remotely. Commuting is no longer viable...and they wouldn't be able to afford these larger homes if they had to pay the additional monies for child care and their transportation.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I'm on call, I'm salaried, and I still get paid extra for my on call times. Pulling 80 hour weeks regularly without getting paid extra may legit be illegal depending on where you are and either way it's a mark of a crappy employer and staffing situation to end up with that. Sounds like you're getting taken advantage of by your employer to me. Wouldnt it help if you had a lot of people with you to, say, write a petition and push back about that?

As to your original reply, you can *absolutely* make a career out of being a cook flipping burgers, and there's no reason why you shouldnt be able to. People should always be paid a living wage so that that's possible. And look, I like being able to eat a really good burger, don't you? Experienced folks making those burgers make better burgers. There's no reason to look down on such a job just because you work a white collar one, it just makes you look petty tbh

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That is a bit of spin of the definition of inclusive. Your employer has the right to dictate the (legal) ground rules of an employees’ employment. That includes the space in the office, workload, priorities, and wfh guidelines. The employee can reject the employers job description by quitting or attempting to negotiate.
While you're correct, I was mainly referring to the reputation Apple is attempting to cultivate of being a diverse and inclusive company. Diversity and inclusivity applies to personality expression as well, and one major issue I see is a disregard for introverts in making a company-wide decision like this. But it wouldn't be the first I've heard of Apple disadvantaging introverts.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
While you're correct, I was mainly referring to the reputation Apple is attempting to cultivate of being a diverse and inclusive company. Diversity and inclusivity applies to personality expression as well, and one major issue I see is a disregard for introverts in making a company-wide decision like this. But it wouldn't be the first I've heard of Apple disadvantaging introverts.
WFH and the hybrid approach applies to employees of apple not subcategories of race, genders or personalities.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
WFH and the hybrid approach applies to employees of apple not subcategories of race, genders or personalities.
Because once size fits all decision making has never, ever resulted in any problems...

When someone argues such it always reminds me of this:
file.jpg

I wouldn’t want WFH to become mandatory any more than I’d want in-person to become mandatory. But give people the choice and realize that some if not many can still be productive in a WFH setting, that was the only good thing the pandemic taught us…

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn and nebojsak

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because once size fits all decision making has never, ever resulted in any problems...

When someone argues such it always reminds me of this:
file.jpg

I wouldn’t want WFH to become mandatory any more than I’d want in-person to become mandatory. But give people the choice and realize that some if not many can still be productive in a WFH setting, that was the only good thing the pandemic taught us…
A bird, lion and elephant were standing at the edge of a cliff. The officia says jump, if you survive you get a million dollars.

Life is not always fair. You may not get that choice. Appl provides a hybrid approach there are always exeptions. Take it or not.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
They are just following what Steve Jobs famously believed:

"There's a temptation in our networked age to think that ideas can be developed by email and iChat. That's crazy. Creativity comes from spontaneous meetings, from random discussions. You run into someone, you ask what they're doing, you say, 'Wow,' and soon you're cooking up all sorts of ideas." --Steve Jobs

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Life is not always fair. You may not get that choice. Appl provides a hybrid approach there are always exeptions. Take it or not.

This.

Being an adult in life means sometimes you’re going to have to do things you don’t want to do. But just because you don’t want to do it doesn’t mean you petition or sue to get your way. It’s called playing by the rules. Don’t play by the rules and the company, really at any time, can say those two little words to you.

At the same time, an employee for any reason can also say two words to their employer.

Luckily I can say I’ve only been fired from one job. And that was because I didn’t do something I should have…….which was bite my tongue.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You're talking about IT Operations, not most development roles. Dev roles are typically not even on call. It's solely the "keep the lights on" roles that are working rotating shifts and on-call. (there are obvious exceptions - iCloud Dev's could be called in to fix a code update that causes global mayhem, for example).

Apple does have a reputation as being a bit of a "sweat shop" - expecting much of their staff to work 6 days a week. Not sure if that changed under Tim's leadership...cultures tend to shift very slowly. If that is still the case, I could definitely see a lot of their staff very much wanting a better work/life balance by working more of their time at home.

It's not just the time lost on the commute - anyone with young families will be saving a LOT of money on childcare by having one of the parents at home all/most of the time. That's a major impact on their financial health.

In our own IT shop, we saw many staff buy homes considerably further from the city, as they expected to be able to continue to work remotely. Commuting is no longer viable...and they wouldn't be able to afford these larger homes if they had to pay the additional monies for child care and their transportation.

Saving a lot of money on childcare?
Apple, like a lot of companies has childcare within many of their campuses. No cost to the employee.
Working from home means with young kids you’re distracted if you don’t have them in childcare during your work hours. Nice try with that argument.

Dev roles typically don’t have to be on-call which I agree with but as you stated if major issue got pushed into production they will be. Recall just a few short years ago the default macOS password was blank?! Yeah that would be major fix for on-call.

Not sure where you get this Apple running a sweat shop idea though. Are you talking Hon-Hai production lines? Sure fully agree there, yet that isn’t Apple directly. Are you talking about retail sales? Not likely sweatshop class but no different from other sales retail jobs say from Club Monaco or Forever21. Retail for 6days/wk wasn’t fixed under Laura nor under that HR person either which led to unions and the 6/wk change.

When I was a young teen in the early 90’s I wanted to work 6 days/wk = more money on the bi weekly pay cheque!! I’d say kids are super lazy now and expect big rewards for absolutely minimal work. Many resort to TikTok/YouTube channel creation due to east and fun for them. I mean why not right. But many are realizing not everyone will be a star!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Saving a lot of money on childcare?
Apple, like a lot of companies has childcare within many of their campuses. No cost to the employee.
Working from home means with young kids you’re distracted if you don’t have them in childcare during your work hours. Nice try with that argument.

Dev roles typically don’t have to be on-call which I agree with but as you stated if major issue got pushed into production they will be. Recall just a few short years ago the default macOS password was blank?! Yeah that would be major fix for on-call.

Not sure where you get this Apple running a sweat shop idea though. Are you talking Hon-Hai production lines? Sure fully agree there, yet that isn’t Apple directly. Are you talking about retail sales? Not likely sweatshop class but no different from other sales retail jobs say from Club Monaco or Forever21. Retail for 6days/wk wasn’t fixed under Laura nor under that HR person either which led to unions and the 6/wk change.

When I was a young teen in the early 90’s I wanted to work 6 days/wk = more money on the bi weekly pay cheque!! I’d say kids are super lazy now and expect big rewards for absolutely minimal work. Many resort to TikTok/YouTube channel creation due to east and fun for them. I mean why not right. But many are realizing not everyone will be a star!

I have personally been to multiple Apple campus locations, although a few years back, and none of them had any childcare or daycare facilities, and judging from articles online the spaceship doesn’t have any either. They might have changed that, I’m just speaking from experience from the last few years.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Luckily I can say I’ve only been fired from one job. And that was because I didn’t do something I should have…….which was bite my tongue.
So you can't say that life is not fair in your particular example. Man can only control his own actions. It is probably the hardest thing to do.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
They are just following what Steve Jobs famously believed:

There was no video conferencing one could do from home at the time when he wrote this. Not a schedule video conferencing solution.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
This.

Being an adult in life means sometimes you’re going to have to do things you don’t want to do. But just because you don’t want to do it doesn’t mean you petition or sue to get your way. It’s called playing by the rules. Don’t play by the rules and the company, really at any time, can say those two little words to you.

At the same time, an employee for any reason can also say two words to their employer.

That’s crazy, dude. You can always negotiate. Petitioning is a collective negotiation. Both parties have a choice. You get your knickers in a bunch as though someone were suggesting that the government must force Apple to offer WFH.

The employees can petition, they can strike, and they can threaten to quit. It’s all well within their rights. Apple can fire them if the Apple management think that the company will do just fine without them. It’s called freedom.

Reactions: nebojsak

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
"After a banner year for tech, layoffs are here. In fact, as of late August, more than 39,000workers in the U.S. tech sector have been laid off in mass job cuts so far in 2022, according to a Crunchbase News tally."

Maybe Apple employees' bargaining power has been reduced.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
"After a banner year for tech, layoffs are here. In fact, as of late August, more than 39,000workers in the U.S. tech sector have been laid off in mass job cuts so far in 2022, according to a Crunchbase News tally."

Maybe Apple employees' bargaining power has been reduced.
Hardly. The IT employees that have been let go are likely peons. Apple's peons are happy to work in the spaceship. Five of them rent one apartment a few miles away from the spaceship. They are not the ones signing petitions.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have personally been to multiple Apple campus locations, although a few years back, and none of them had any childcare or daycare facilities, and judging from articles online the spaceship doesn’t have any either. They might have changed that, I’m just speaking from experience from the last few years.

I just checked. 2017 articles states it’s a feature lol. Wow thought they’d have one. Unsure if changed but it’s a really terrible miss.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dude, you have no idea. My new boss in 2018 went on a power trip and fired half of the engineering department and brought his friends in. The company lost some serious engineering talent and is still struggling with it four years later. Another quarter left on their own because of him being inflexible on WFH. I was one of those who tried to negotiate with him but after many hours of fruitless arguments, I finally had it with him and also left. They asked the people who left to come back literally months later because they lost most of their talent. Some people came back with a much stronger negotiating position and got better pay and 100% WFH. Others found better places for themselves. They tried to fill my role for months, having interviewed 17 people, and they finally gave up and asked me to come back. I told my director I will not come back if I can't work 100% from home and if I have to report to the bozo manager. I also told them my new rate was 25% higher. The director accommodated all of my requirements. This is how it works between those who know their stuff in IT and the companies. Those who do not understand this dynamic, make incredibly ridiculous posts on here about employees being servants and being required to do as their companies tell them.

How big is this firm?
What percentage is in I.T. Vs the rest of all other departments? Is this a fortune 100/300/500 company?

Very curious.

Ps: why is it so many people say they work in iiit (IT) vs I.T. (Information technology)?!

Good win for you but not often will happen

Reactions: I7guy

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
How big is this firm?
What percentage is in I.T. Vs the rest of all other departments? Is this a fortune 100/300/500 company?

Very curious.

Ps: why is it so many people say they work in iiit (IT) vs I.T. (Information technology)?!

Literally, no one writes it as I.T.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
How big is this firm?

Very curious.

Large international corporation. Fortune 100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.