Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Well I found this post from January this year who commented on this feature being unavailable after his using for several years. It is a comment from a driver and one comment about someone using to apparently track the truck to use location to rob it? But the main post was interesting, it pretty much sums up my drivers comments and he is a good driver, friendly and waves when he goes by on daily runs. So wonder if this is fading in use by UPS, has become an option for local hubs? I don’t really know but I know my driver says the computer orders his logistics and if there is nothing in my neighborhood then perhaps my package is not near for him to get to me early even if near and I tried to flag him down..

What happened to the Follow My Delivery feature?
renderTimingPixel.png

I'm a UPS My Choice Member and have used this feature before. I like being able to track the UPS truck on the map. Now with a package out for delivery today the feature is gone and I'm signed in. Is this feature not available anymore?
13 Comments
SaveHideReport

84% Upvoted

This thread is archived
New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast
SORT BY
BEST

level 1
rdtrip22

14 points·8 months ago

Driver here, I honestly hope they stop offering it, at least until they can improve it. Sure its a great idea in theory, but it more of an annoyance to everyone. As a driver, I have this particular customer who uses it to find me, follow me and then attempting to wave me down while driving so they can get their package. Not only is this a safety concern, it is tremendously time consuming, as their package is usually packed away at the very back of my truck and it takes me several minutes to dig through everything and find it. I would prefer to just deliver it on schedule, even if it means one more stop, it's way faster than being stopped especially if I am in a rush to make scheduled commits. Then on the customers end it really isn't accurate, we may be right near your house but do not end up getting to your street until several hours later due to the way the routes are planned, pickups/scheduled time commits, etc.
I hope they do find an alternative, more accurate solution/idea, but until then I am not a big fan of this feature. End rant lol

level 2
bob__cobb

1 point·3 months ago

What state are you in?

getfreeeeeeedom

11 points·8 months ago

A driver was intercepted and robbed and murdered recently and it was discovered that the criminals were using this feature to plan their attack
Yikes, that’s scary. Even short of robbery, I can see how it would be annoying if people are using this feature to flag down and harass drivers. I’m only going to use it as evidence in my lawsuit, that’s all.

Reactions: SparklyOne

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Yikes, that’s scary. Even short of robbery, I can see how it would be annoying if people are using this feature to flag down and harass drivers. I’m only going to use it as evidence in my lawsuit, that’s all.
Well since it matches what my driver told me last year (he was in neighborhood early because of some next day customers) it seems reasonable. If he is in neighborhood (all residential, no businesses other than out of homes) then I imagine the computer assigned/assisted? logistics would probably have my package near whereever he needs when actually delivering to my neighborhood. Normally if there are not other customers then I won’t even see UPS in neighborhood til afternoon as they go to businesses first.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Now the driver is just moving further away from me. It’s definitely personal ?
Must be LOL

Well hour and half after out for delivery and no follow my truck option. Not sure why maybe local hubs can choose to not use? Oh well I cannot obsess like you about where driver is, sorta back to old days just waiting, tick, tick, tick, tick tick.....

jensgt

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
mine says in transit on UPS. I was half asleep this morning but I swear I got an apple store notification that said it was out for delivery. Maybe it just said it was on its way. I got all excited for nothing.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Ok for those who got a “follow my truck” option I am curious what kind of package your My Choice UPS says it is. Mine is UPS Worldwide Expedited. The explanation on UPS for this service says the following that it has to be UPS next day air, or UPS Worldwide Express, and UPS Worldwide Express Plus. I do not remember what it was last year but I could follow. More curiosity than anything as I sit at home running out of things to obsess er do LOL.

Can I see where my package is right now?

UPS My Choice® members can use the Follow My Delivery live map to view the location of select packages in relation to the delivery address. The package icon updates every two to three minutes as the package moves towards its destination.
Follow My Delivery is available for packages sent using UPS Next Day Air®, UPS Worldwide Express®, and UPS Worldwide Express Plus®.
We customize each map for your driver's schedule and email you the link as soon as the driver begins his or her route.
The map will no longer be available after successful delivery or the end of the driver's day. If we need to come back for another delivery attempt, we’ll send you an email that morning with a link to a new map.
Please note that the package icon on the map does not indicate the order of the driver's stops or an exact delivery time.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Ok for those who got a “follow my truck” option I am curious what kind of package your My Choice UPS says it is. Mine is UPS Worldwide Expedited. The explanation on UPS for this service says the following that it has to be UPS next day air, or UPS Worldwide Express, and UPS Worldwide Express Plus. I do not remember what it was last year but I could follow. More curiosity than anything as I sit at home running out of things to obsess er do LOL.

UPS My Choice® members can use the Follow My Delivery live map to view the location of select packages in relation to the delivery address. The package icon updates every two to three minutes as the package moves towards its destination.
Follow My Delivery is available for packages sent using UPS Next Day Air®, UPS Worldwide Express®, and UPS Worldwide Express Plus®.
We customize each map for your driver's schedule and email you the link as soon as the driver begins his or her route.
The map will no longer be available after successful delivery or the end of the driver's day. If we need to come back for another delivery attempt, we’ll send you an email that morning with a link to a new map.
Please note that the package icon on the map does not indicate the order of the driver's stops or an exact delivery time.
FWIW - I don’t have the option to follow my truck/driver. And mine is showing “UPS Worldwide Expedited.”

I HAVE been able to follow the truck around my neighborhood for some other packages (not all, but some).

jai151

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Ok for those who got a “follow my truck” option I am curious what kind of package your My Choice UPS says it is. Mine is UPS Worldwide Expedited. The explanation on UPS for this service says the following that it has to be UPS next day air, or UPS Worldwide Express, and UPS Worldwide Express Plus...

Mine is Worldwide Expedited, and has no follow my truck link

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011

Mine is also "UPS Worldwide Expedited", and the dang driver still isn't moving any closer to me :mad:

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Mine is also "UPS Worldwide Expedited", and the dang driver still isn't moving any closer to me :mad:
Interesting you get the Follow My Truck but the rest of us UPS Worldwide Expedited folks seem to not be given this option for first time in a couple years since it was introduced. Maybe there are regional, state, UPS regional differences and options to offer or not this year. Not the end of the world but would have been fun to do again and fill my day.

SparklyOne

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
OUT FOR DELIVERY!

Gonna miss you folks after today... ?

#927101club
Me too! This has been my most fun tracking group ever. You all have to get a new phone in 2 years (I only do the whole number releases - no letters for me!). :)
[automerge]1569511514[/automerge]
Interesting you get the Follow My Truck but the rest of us UPS Worldwide Expedited folks seem to not be given this option for first time in a couple years since it was introduced. Maybe there are regional, state, UPS regional differences and options to offer or not this year. Not the end of the world but would have been fun to do again and fill my day.
Chaospet might be conspiring with UPS to deprive us of obsession. Lawsuit?

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
It’s would be super niche - but I’d happily watch.
Great idea!
[automerge]1569385416[/automerge]
And yeah... I’m now seeing a 27th delivery via UPS. iUP trade-in box arrives the 25th via FedEx.

As an update to anyone who cares about such things (the fact this site exists is evidence you're out there)...
My space gray 11 Pro appears to now arrive today - a day earlier than (eventually) expected. My iUP return box is now slated for 30th. Point: ship dates can change dramatically.

Cheers.

itmaybeokay

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
Looks like CPA80 is heading to Louisville instead of O’Hare later today....

the next group could even get their phones tomorrow. But definitely Monday at the latest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.