Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
What's with all the negative comments? I don't know much of her music, but I definitely have a respect for her work regardless of if it caters to me extremely. To be honest I think she represents the creative side of Mac functionality pretty darn well. This is a good move.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Right? We understand; Apple the services company needs content to compete. Got it.

But nothing about this "investment" is going to help pros, techs, or even consumers where it matters: the tech. Nothing about this improves speed, or reliability, or interoperability. This does nothing for workflows. This does not help us communicate better or more clearly.

If this helps Apple make more money, which then flows to (i) product and software development, (ii) Apple's use of AWS or its own datacenters for cloudflow, or (iii) lower product/service prices, then good.
Apple entered the market to make money, not fund R&D. Or fund other things. They can afford anything they want to already. They’ll do whatever’s profitable. Their media interests need to support themselves, or there’s no point.

The idea that this money could be spent on devs etc is funny. Apple hire a lot of developers, what are we suggesting the new ones do?

Reactions: Ar40

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
The society has lost perspective to be so interested in a 17 years old 'kid' and willing to pay $25M. The valuation is commercial but makes social value sense in the bigger scheme of things. Just 17 years old!

All your questions are easily answered when you think about the fact that we are talking about a "society" that has made the Kardashians so mighty and powerful... Literally all of them...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
$25m for ... documentary? Like, for a DOCUMENTARY??! Are they filming it with solid gold cameras or setting up entire city scape sets for this thing? It's self promotion for the artist, so her income from it should be minimal and off the earnings later.

Apple really knows how to buy a luxurious catering spread while losing the script.

If they aren't throwing money down the drain on re-re-heated talent doing insipid stories based on neotrash, they are doing ultra-expensive documentaries. Nice.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Apple wastes so much money instead of putting it into better product development
Not instead of. If you actually think that Apple has so little money that they can’t walk and chew gum at the same time, you need to wake up. If otoh your comment was code for not caring for this proposed show, just say so because may of us agree.

Reactions: n0-0ne and Ar40

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I really like Apple and am willing to be open minded and forgiving about choices that I don't like (the notch, loosing magsafe, etc...) because of the overall direction of the company (as both a customer and an investor) but more and more the shows they are buying, producing and offering seem to be only for one very very very narrow slice of America, and it's annoying as a customer and concerning as an investor.

Reactions: femike

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
20 year Challenge....
1999: Goths are counter culture
2019: Goths are mainstream culture
Goth adjacent, certainly, but not really “Goth.” Mainstream youth culture just seems to be mix and match whatever suits, and I actually kind of love it! Lots of space for creativity.

Reactions: japanime

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
I’m going to need y’all to stop posting articles about this “artist”. I do not understand how she became so popular, her “music” is literally just her whispering to a beat. #edgy #getoffmylawn
Didn’t even know about her until I read an article this morning here. Went to check out her music and I must say, you’re not far from the absolute truth.
[automerge]1575550219[/automerge]
That kid is more mature than most users here. She also switched to vegan years ago for environment and animal rights. She is very intelligent and talented. I don’t like her music, but I recognize she is an artist. Also her success is incredible.
[automerge]1575548126[/automerge]

There is no relation in this. Hardware is a thing, entertainment is another.
And where is the money for entertainment coming from? The buyers of hardware!!

Reactions: Huck

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
This is a crazy amount of money for a documentary. Especially for a documentary that’s designed to promote an artist/brand. Very few documentaries have sold for this amount. In fact, Planet Earth I, the most successful nature documentary of its time, had a budget of less than $15 million—and it took five years to film. Adjusted for inflation it would still cost less to make than what Apple just paid for this factual advertorial.

Reactions: Feyl

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The society has lost perspective to be so interested in a 17 years old 'kid' and willing to pay $25M. The valuation is commercial but makes social value sense in the bigger scheme of things. Just 17 years old!
Why does it matter what age she is? As long as the music is well liked age really shouldn’t play any part in the equation.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Reactions: n0-0ne and xxray

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Good choice on Apple. Billie is huge right now and basically almost any YouTube video of her gets millions of views in days. She's insanely creative and unique but also super genuine, and she's huge for teens and people in their 20s. I'd sign up for Apple TV+ to watch this.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and Ar40

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
While I personally could not care less about her music or documentary, I realize I am not the target market for either. From what I have read, she is very popular and it makes good business sense for Apple to cater to a broad range of customer demographics so I don't view this as a waste of resources at all. I really want Apple TV+ to be successful and I have no doubt Apple knows what they are doing business wise paying top dollar to produce such content for their new service.

Reactions: xxray

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What's with all the negative comments? I don't know much of her music, but I definitely have a respect for her work regardless of if it caters to me extremely. To be honest I think she represents the creative side of Mac functionality pretty darn well. This is a good move.

This is all this forum is anymore is negative, hateful comments. I miss the old days of Macrumors.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Her sound is unique, and her I can appreciate why people were drawn to it. I don’t personally care where she came from, but fandoms likely do. I’d be more interested if this was filmed between two platinum selling albums with the focus being how she maintained her unique style while still producing fresh content.

I do hope her the best but so far she is just the 2019 Lorde.

Reactions: 5105973

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
........they couldn't take that money and invest it in better QC/QA for their products & software (definitely more pressing) ??

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Young artists today never smile. They look tortured. They look lost. They look tired. They look as if their lives have already been stolen so they compose angry lyrics to escape.

This is entirely new. No generation of artists have ever been described this way.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Ar40 and velocityg4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.