Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Not care much for her, but she is getting a lot of traction and apparently is the next big Pop act, so might not appeal much of us, but she certainly has an audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I hope metadata in concerts sorts this content by release year + artist name and not tour or documentary name. Who am I kidding. The Mission Impossible movies are all named MI:# and those aren’t even in order.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Apple should rather invest 25$ Million into a better Software-Development and talented Developers, instead of spending money on a exclusive contract with a teenager.
Why can't they do both? It's not like Apple is hurting for money.
[automerge]1575553035[/automerge]
She’s 17. How interesting can her life be?
Probably more interesting than your life or my life. She is one of the biggest names in music right now.

• Haha
Reactions: GalileoSeven

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
She ticks all the “2019 boxes”, so it makes sense for Apple to go all out on her. Personally I find the music terrible, but that’s just my opinion, clearly a lot of people like it.

Reactions: Huck

Salaryman Ryan

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
I actually like some of her music and know some kids who are also fans but not sure if the target market would be willing pay and subscribe to Apple TV just to watch her documentary. Most of these kids would just rather find it for free on youtube or download it in some torrent site.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
she ruined a generation of young girls with her "i found this in a trash bin" fashion , antisocial/prod-epression attitude, and not-even-music

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
She is 17 with one hit album! - I am not judging her music or her ability to perform but what could possibly be so interesting about her life to warrant such a huge budget or elaborate production? She hasn’t lived or done anything except for a very short career as a social media ‘influencer’.
You could easily cover her entire life story in a 10 minute interview and still have several minutes left to fill in with one of her performances!

olives9

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
NY
There's so many more talented artists out there. Actual ARTISTS who PLAY/LIVE/BREATHE music. I understand she's popular but c'mon Apple. Use that $25 million towards the real musicians.

Reactions: PC_tech

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I’m going to need y’all to stop posting articles about this “artist”. I do not understand how she became so popular, her “music” is literally just her whispering to a beat. #edgy #getoffmylawn
Then you don't know her music. She's actually very talented and her music has a lot of variety. I'm an old guy who listens to a lot of rock/soul from 60s-90s, and she's pretty much the kind of artist we want more of these days. Someone who cares about music more than her image.

Reactions: StyxMaker

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Two articles in a row about this girl and I have no idea who she is. I would think being 17, she's not going to gain a lot of new subscription fees for Apple (not a lot of teenagers with disposable income out there).

I did do a Google search on her and with hundreds of pictures, she doesn't smile in a single one. Somethin' not right about this girl...

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Why does it matter what age she is? As long as the music is well liked age really shouldn’t play any part in the equation.

Age matters if you spent $25 million on a documentary of someone who caters mostly to teenagers with no disposable income to buy subscriptions with...

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
With Apple TV+ and Apple Music exclusives, I'm feeling myself drifting into middle-age. I have no knowledge about any of it.

Reactions: femike

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Goth adjacent, certainly, but not really “Goth.” Mainstream youth culture just seems to be mix and match whatever suits, and I actually kind of love it! Lots of space for creativity.
I like that phrase, "goth adjacent." You might say "glam adjacent," too. I agree, though — it's a mix-and-match of styles, and rather refreshing.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
$25m for ... documentary? Like, for a DOCUMENTARY??! Are they filming it with solid gold cameras or setting up entire city scape sets for this thing? It's self promotion for the artist, so her income from it should be minimal and off the earnings later.

Apple really knows how to buy a luxurious catering spread while losing the script.

If they aren't throwing money down the drain on re-re-heated talent doing insipid stories based on neotrash, they are doing ultra-expensive documentaries. Nice.

You can film one for about $300. In 1995 and in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.