Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
looks like Apple is seeing that their strongest audience/demo is the YA crowd. Makes sense with the success of Dickinson. Plus they have the whole free bundle for students going on. This makes sense as a business move!

I'm sorry you old farts who post here don't understand the value the biggest up and coming young music sensation brings.

Also - for those questioning the price tag: Animals (Planet Earth) don't have agents like hollywood/musicians do. Agents demand the big bucks for the brand and name recognition the artist brings to the service. This is regardless of the quality of the documentary. It can be shot on a pinhole camera and will still be massive for Apple.
[automerge]1575557302[/automerge]
Also, I'll just leave this here for ya'll.

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
I am still waiting for something on Apple TV+ that I want to watch. Maybe Apple will end up bundling it with utility bills to make sure we all become subscribers.

Reactions: Huck

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Apple wastes so much money instead of putting it into better product development
Apple will spend $16,000,000,000+ on R&D this year.

Apple also has over $200B in cash and makes $60B in profit annually.

Try to separate initiatives in your mind. Not doing this doesn’t mean an iPhone with no notch or whatever axe you’re grinding.

Apple’s scale is over your head.

Reactions: StyxMaker and Ar40

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
At 17 years old, Billie Eilish has 24M subscribers on YouTube and 4 videos with a combined 2B views.

I’m not saying she’s great, but other people are interested in her. You may not like it, but you don’t represent everyone.

Many Apple customers are kids. AppleTV+ needs content for everyone and it’s clear people might enjoy a documentary on a singer that is popular.

$25M is a joke to Apple. It’s like you buying bananas.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I hope in real life she smiles and is just playing a role for fame. Her music kind of boring so maybe no smiles.
She appeals to this generation of kids because she is this generation of kids. Go visit a high school and you will see a lot of brooding teens with their faces glued to iPhones and screens.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
That $25 million could have been used to hire programmers to fix iOS 13 and Catalina. Why are they even in TV/Movie business?

• Sad
Reactions: Huck and Ar40

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
What a waste of money.
Apple is too big with too much money to burn. What not use all that wealth and lower prices of their goods.
MacPro and display with that $1k display stand is a good place to start.

• Angry
Reactions: Huck and Ar40

BXRich

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2019
NY
ahh yes, the story that needs to be told - the struggles of a young pretty white girl from a good home and family members already in the entertainment business trying to make it against all odds and having to wait a staggering three years since first releasing her music on the internet to make it big. A truly inspiring story that will touch all our hearts and serve as the prime example of never giving up on your dreams.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
The society has lost perspective to be so interested in a 17 years old 'kid' and willing to pay $25M. The valuation is commercial but makes social value sense in the bigger scheme of things. Just 17 years old!

Well, I'm being a 17-year-old gives her vast amounts of knowledge and wisdom she can share. /S

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
For reference one of the most expensive documentaries ever made, "Mankind:The Story of Us" was apparently 36 million, or 3 million per episode (I found that on Quoara). I could not find the cost of Planet Earth II or "They Shall not Grow Old" which is probably far more than that.

If you are in Hollywood you really want Apple to buy your product because if they like it they are going to pay far above market price. Like 200-300%.

• Haha
Reactions: Ar40

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
That kid is more mature than most users here. She also switched to vegan years ago for environment and animal rights. She is very intelligent and talented.
Trendy person does trendy thing....oh my goodness what will happen next? Will a rapper buy an expensive car, will a politician lie, will a corporation try to make money? Maybe a mother will love her child or a husband will love his wife? The world is chaos!

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Eilish kicked off Wednesday's inaugural Apple Music Awards with a bespoke performance based on her debut album When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? The singer was also awarded ?Apple Music?'s Album of the Year as the most streamed album of 2019, and Songwriter of the Year, which went to both her and her brother FINNEAS.

Yo Billie, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Jay-Z has one of the best debut albums of all time. One of the best debut albums of all time!

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
I’m going to need y’all to stop posting articles about this “artist”. I do not understand how she became so popular, her “music” is literally just her whispering to a beat. #edgy #getoffmylawn

I personally like it. It's definitely not traditional music - more like ASMR music - but I find it quite enjoyable to listen to.

$25 million for a documentary though... how the hell do you spend that much money on this?!

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Hey it Apple's money but how much would they pay for the Paul Mccartney story? 100M
Overpaying now will cause them to quadruple pay for future projects.

Reactions: jmpstar and 5105973

bpb

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2019
You realize this is literally nothing to Apple, right? This is like you dropping a dime or a penny.
Indeed.. though the equivalent is a *little* more (but not much). Apple brings in 260 Billion dollars a year. Them spending $25 Million is the equivalent to someone making $50,000 a year spending $5.

It's *literally* pocket change to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.