Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
The guy was at a car show, NOT at a company event or representing Apple and he was quoting a movie?

I dont get why people give a ****.
High ranking executives always represent the companies they work for, on or off the clock. If Tim Cook said something like this he'd be rightfully lambasted even more. But he's smart enough to keep his personal life private as he understands the weight of his role at Apple.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
The guy was at a car show, NOT at a company event or representing Apple and he was quoting a movie?

I dont get why people give a ****.
When you work for Apple, you don't get to be yourself in or out of the office. That's just the way it goes. You have to be the kind of person that enjoys "Ted Lasso" and walk around with a blank Tim Cook expression on your face at all times. You have to think that ketchup is spicy.

Being fired is probably a relief for this guy.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
While he was being sarcastic, I am sure deep down that's who the guy is. What a douchebag. lol
That said the guy being punished by it, is stupid. We live in a world that if you do anything it has a great chance offending someone and the mob will censor you or demand an apology. This gotta stop because the backlash is going to be very real.
I would totally hang out with him. I am a douchebag. Douchebags are fun. I cannot suffer a bore.

Alchemist

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2004
UK
Rightly shown the door. If he wants to talk like that in the privacy of his own home then that is his right. However he’s an Apple exec and talking like this in public brings the company into bad repute. I admire Apple for being decisive with stuff like this.

Here in the UK our Government staggers from one appaling sleaze scandal to the next yet no heads roll. The up shot? Corruption is now endemic. I’m glad to see a company I admire standing by its principles and kicking this goon into the long grass.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I've got several lamborghini's, maserati's and the odd bugatti

maxresdefault.jpg

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
How many people actually get the movie reference without having to read an article about it?

vs.

How many people view the TikTok, get offended and cost Apple revenue?

It's not necessarily that he got 'canceled' for a movie quote. People get fired for doing innocent, but dumb things all of the time, eg. conduct unbecoming, and non-disparagement clauses. Doing something silly, stupid, crass, etc could be covered. The stupid thing in this case would be not realizing the controversy this would stir up. (what % of people would know it's a joke, etc.). Additionally, we don't know if he had any other 'strikes' on his record prior to this.

Last edited:

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Rightly shown the door. If he wants to talk like that in the privacy of his own home then that is his right. However he’s an Apple exec and talking like this in public brings the company into bad repute. I admire Apple for being decisive with stuff like this.

Here in the UK our Government staggers from one appaling sleaze scandal to the next yet no heads roll. The up shot? Corruption is now endemic. I’m glad to see a company I admire standing by its principles and kicking this goon into the long grass.
Yes quoting old movies is unacceptable in 2022. Get woke everyone!

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
For people here commenting about the guy being a douchebag (a person that you never met): it was perfectly useful for Apple as a douchebag while working for them. But now we need to act as offended and fire him.

He probably used a even more “vulgar” language when talking about Qualcomm and others. But that was perfectly fine then.

That false morality only for the show makes me sick.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
The fact Apple charges us premium prices and pays the people like him on a higher salary… come on! That’s just wrong!
I’m not defending the guy. I was just saying that he probably spoke that way all the time even in the office and it was only when he was caught on video did anyone at Apple do anything about it. Of course it is possible that he conducted himself as an angel while on the job and only joked like that while on his own time but my guess would be he probably joked like that all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.