Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Nothing updated for me.

Swung by local Apple store tonight. They had no clue. Couldn’t see I was part of iup. Employee called over to Citizens to verify I was part of the program. Then made a call internally and had my situation escalated. I am less confident now that this will be rectified prior to the next iPhone release.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
5th call to Apple, after holding for 13 minutes waiting to be transferred to sales, phone disconnects. Same thing happened couple days ago. Now- I'm on hold again. Very aggravating. I emailed Tim Cook. Maybe we should all email him so they see this is a real issue. tcook@apple.com

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
5th call to Apple, after holding for 13 minutes waiting to be transferred to sales, phone disconnects. Same thing happened couple days ago. Now- I'm on hold again. Very aggravating. I emailed Tim Cook. Maybe we should all email him so they see this is a real issue. tcook@apple.com
Same thing just happened to me...magically disconnected after waiting 15 minutes for a "Senior Advisor"

A positive sign, they can now see I am part of IUP.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I don’t think Apple is purposely disconnecting anyone. I think emailing Tim is a good idea. I am concerned about the “tone” of some of these posts. As I said before, I see folks partly to blame. Why anyone would wait so long to check their eligibility is beyond me. There is a history of previous threads on this matter. Systems get corrupted or have unanticipated bugs that can crop up at any time. Last year when I got my 8 plus, under the IUP program, the IUP checker subsequently said I was not enrolled. It took 6 weeks for Apple to correct my issue, but I had a whole year!

The lesson learned is to assume that even the most tightly designed and implemented systems can subsequently fail. When you email Tim Cook, and if his office responds—-be polite! However frustrating this might be, remember that those on the other end are for the most part, trying to help as best they can. Also, it may help to keep a perspective that it is only a phone and not Heart Surgery. Let’s assume for the moment that the problem could not be fixed quickly, would the direction of your life change substantially if your upgrade was delayed?

Last edited:

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I don’t think Apple is purposely disconnecting anyone. I think emailing Tim is a good idea. I am concerned about the “tone” of some of these posts. As I said before, I see folks partly to blame. Why anyone would wait so long to check their eligibility is beyond me. There is a history of previous threads on this matter. Systems get corrupted or have unanticipated bugs that can crop up at any time. Last year when I got my 8 plus, under the IUP program, the IUP checker subsequently said I was not enrolled. It took 6 weeks for Apple to correct my issue, but I had a whole year!

The lesson learned is to assume that even the most tightly designed and implemented systems can subsequently fail. When you email Tim Cook, and if his office responds—-be polite! However frustrating this might be, remember that those on the other end are for the most part, trying to help as best they can. Also, it may help to keep a perspective that it is only a phone and not Heart Surgery. Let’s assume for the moment that the problem could not be fixed quickly, would the direction of your life change substantially if your upgrade was delayed?

As others have stated, why would you check? I went from 7 plus to X (also had my 7 plus replaced) and had zero issues. Why would I assume this year wouldn't be the same? Sorry man, we aren't to blame because Apple is having issues with their system.

Unfortunately, nobody I have spoken with at Apple has seemed remotely interested in identifying the root cause and fixing. It get moved from person to person, department to department...asked to be connected to "Agreement Department" and was told "everything was fine on their end". Wouldn't connect me. Instead, I was connected to Sales. Yes Sales...

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC

All in IUP are signed up for automatic payments every month and we don't have to double check to make sure that our payment profile is correct.

I agree it's not the end of the world but "shame on you for not checking earlier" is not what IUP customers need to hear.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
As others have stated, why would you check? I went from 7 plus to X (also had my 7 plus replaced) and had zero issues. Why would I assume this year wouldn't be the same? Sorry man, we aren't to blame because Apple is having issues with their system.

Unfortunately, nobody I have spoken with at Apple has seemed remotely interested in identifying the root cause and fixing. It get moved from person to person, department to department...asked to be connected to "Agreement Department" and was told "everything was fine on their end". Wouldn't connect me. Instead, I was connected to Sales. Yes Sales...

If a release day upgrade were important to me, I would have checked well in advance and not left anything to chance. Over the years,I have learned not to assume anything about systems working unless I can determine they will be viable well in advance of when I need them.
[doublepost=1535647052][/doublepost]I also don’t assume that if it worked last year, it will work this year. The array of issues relating to pre-orders and upgrades, both with Apple and the carrier’s systems have been enough for me not to make any assumptions.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
If a release day upgrade were important to me, I would have checked well in advance and not left anything to chance. Over the years,I have learned not to assume anything about systems working unless I can determine they will be viable well in advance of when I need them.

Sorry, if I looked at my eligibility 8 months ago or 8 minutes ago, it doesn't change the fact that the issue is on them...or the fact that it is not a simple fix. How would anyone know the issue would take many hours, phone calls and escalations to Apple? Nobody had any way to know that both of these factors were at play...Their systems are incorrect and very few people at Apple have any idea how to correct the issue. Yeah, I am the one to blame because I waited to check on my eligibility 2 weeks before the release. Or that I have spent 3+ hours trying to fix an Apple issue.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Sorry, if I looked at my eligibility 8 months ago or 8 minutes ago, it doesn't change the fact that the issue is on them...or the fact that it is not a simple fix. How would anyone know the issue would take many hours, phone calls and escalations to Apple? Nobody had any way to know that both of these factors were at play...

I posted about this issue last year. I agree that it is Apple’s responsibility to fix whatever is causing the system to break down. Whether it will be done in time for pre-order is anyone’s guess.

As of now, I paid off my phone and am no longer in the IUP, because of that.

I find Citizens for more vexing to deal with than Apple. Their system blocked my loan payoff. I had to go well up the food chain to get it straightened out. I am working and my husband is retired. Their system could not deal with our combined household income even though we are married. They declined his loan even though we had zero credit card balance and great credit scores. They screwed up on my Apple Care refund for weeks. They rejected monthly payments because I had changed my credit card which was done by their staff!

I am unsure I want to rejoin IUP if it is with Citizens.

Last edited:

Serpenthawk

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Well. Here’s a new one. I just called Apple for the 2nd time and spoke to ageeement and was told again that this is a known issue and their resolution is that I will have to upgrade IN STORE o_O

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Well. Here’s a new one. I just called Apple for the 2nd time and spoke to ageeement and was told again that this is a known issue and their resolution is that I will have to upgrade IN STORE o_O

Funny you say that, I was offered that same "solution".

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Sorry about the in store upgrade option. Being at an Apple store on release day is not fun.

I think that if you pre-order through the Apple store App, they will hold it at the store you select, for some period of time. Long enough for the crowds to dissipate. If you must have it release day then you have the crowd issue.

Last edited:

Serpenthawk

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Funny you say that, I was offered that same "solution".
Did they say to you “this doesn’t happen to everyone but we have this workaround for this instance.” Even though it has happened to both me and my spouse warranty replacement phones....

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Did they say to you “this doesn’t happen to everyone but we have this workaround for this instance.” Even though it has happened to both me and my spouse warranty replacement phones....

Ha ha ha ha. Yes they did! Laughed when my sr advisor told me that. I firmly believe they want to steer people in that direction. I told him that it wasn’t a solution and I wasn’t willing to accept that. He is now escalating to “sr engineer”....

Did the Agreement team person you spoke to say they would escalate to a “sr engineer”?

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Ha ha ha ha. Yes they did! Laughed when my sr advisor told me that. I firmly believe they want to steer people in that direction. I told him that it wasn’t a solution and I wasn’t willing to accept that. He is now escalating to “sr engineer”....

Did the Agreement team person you spoke to say they would escalate to a “sr engineer”?

I was given the same solution. I wonder if the process is broken when a customer upgrades early at the 12 month mark or earlier.....or if a phone has to be replaced under AppleCare++.

Is this Apple's subtle solution to get more customers into the stores? I read in the past that Apple wants to divert more traffic away from online sales to in-store sales.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I was given the same solution. I wonder if the process is broken when a customer upgrades early at the 12 month mark or earlier.....or if a phone has to be replaced under AppleCare++.

Is this Apple's subtle solution to get more customers into the stores? I read in the past that Apple wants to divert more traffic away from online sales to in-store sales.
I believe the process breaks if a phone has been replaced.

I suspect the process to correct it is probably manual and takes time. Now they are seeing an uptick in these requests Easier to tell someone to go to store to buy versus working through a time consuming manual process

My advisor wasn’t going to escalate until I said his solution wouldn’t work for me.

Serpenthawk

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015

No they didn’t mention escalation even after I expressed my displeasure with having to go to the store. Keep us posted on the progress made via your ecsalation.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I believe the process breaks if a phone has been replaced.

I suspect the process to correct it is probably manual and takes time. Now they are seeing an uptick in these requests Easier to tell someone to go to store to buy versus working through a time consuming manual process

My advisor wasn’t going to escalate until I said his solution wouldn’t work for me.

Unless every person completes the 2 year IUP program, it will eventually break for every person who wants to upgrade early. The issue will become prevalent that Apple will have to change something.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Unless every person completes the 2 year IUP program, it will eventually break for every person who wants to upgrade early. The issue will become prevalent that Apple will have to change something.

I don’t see your logic. Everybody is supposed to upgrade at the 12 month mark, if they want and do the trade in. If you hold the phone for 24 months, it is yours but you are kicked out of the IUP according to Citizens and have to start from scratch. That makes no sense to me.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I don’t see your logic. Everybody is supposed to upgrade at the 12 month mark, if they want and do the trade in. If you hold the phone for 24 months, it is yours but you are kicked out of the IUP according to Citizens and have to start from scratch. That makes no sense to me.

Upgrading at the 12 month mark is an option, not a requirement. In fact, you can upgrade as soon as the 6 month mark if you are willing to pay the additional 6 months in one payment.

My logic is being driven from what I'm hearing from others about how the program is operating from a IT system perspective not a business process. The customer facing portal for IUP is broke and not communicating with Apple's IT backend systems.

Even when a customer upgrades early, the old loan is closed out and a new loan is established with Citizens. Citizens conducts a new pull to verify the customer's credit score. Each upgrade creates a new loan account number.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Upgrading at the 12 month mark is an option, not a requirement. In fact, you can upgrade as soon as the 6 month mark if you are willing to pay the additional 6 months in one payment.

My logic is being driven from what I'm hearing from others about how the program is operating from a IT system perspective not a business process. The customer facing portal for IUP is broke and not communicating with Apple's IT backend systems.

Even when a customer upgrades early, the old loan is closed out and a new loan is established with Citizens. Citizens conducts a new pull to verify the customer's credit score. Each upgrade creates a new loan account number.

I was responding to your comment that unless one completes a 24 month IUP program, it will eventually break for everyone. I don’t see your logic. If someone makes 12 payments they should be eligible for an upgrade. If they pay off their phone early or keep it beyond 24 months they are no longer part of the IUP. If they make advance payments and upgrade between 6 and 12 months, they get a new loan and the upgrade eligibility starts fresh. If they upgrade between 12 and 24 months, one gets a reduced trade in. All this assumes the systems are working correctly, but has no bearing on your original statement.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I was responding to your comment that unless one completes a 24 month IUP program, it will eventually break for everyone. I don’t see your logic. If someone makes 12 payments they should be eligible for an upgrade. If they pay off their phone early or keep it beyond 24 months they are no longer part of the IUP. If they make advance payments and upgrade between 6 and 12 months, they get a new loan and the upgrade eligibility starts fresh. If they upgrade between 12 and 24 months, one gets a reduced trade in. All this assumes the systems are working correctly, but has no bearing on your original statement.

I was thinking from this perspective.....If Apple doesn't fix this problem with their backend systems to communicate with the customer portal and reflect the new phone (its upgrade period) after customer does an upgrade then the issue will eventually hit every IUP customer over time.

It seems as if Apple IT and Apple business missed a test case to verify the customer portal reflects the new phone after a customer does an upgrade.

Reactions: slippery-pete

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
I'm 50 mins into a call with Apple asking why I am not showing as enrolled in the program. They said they show on their end that I am in IUP. So far they have suggested I call or go in store to upgrade. No solution yet when I say that is not going to work if I wanted to order at the hour of launch to ensure availability on launch day.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I'm 50 mins into a call with Apple asking why I am not showing as enrolled in the program. They said they show on their end that I am in IUP. So far they have suggested I call or go in store to upgrade. No solution yet when I say that is not going to work if I wanted to order at the hour of launch to ensure availability on launch day.
Good luck. Keep us updated on what happens..

Ask agreement team member to escalate to sr engineer

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
Sales and applecare both see in their systems that I am enrolled with the current device serial number which is an applecare replacement from my original device. They suggest there is a glitch in the app and customer web interface and that it will resolve itself somehow prior to pre-order day and I will be able to order. I'm out of free time to deal with this for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.