Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
It is not only the Apple IUP issue discussed here. It is a multitude of Citizen’s issues having little or nothing to do with Apple, that made me pay off the phone and leave IUP. I would hope that Apple will review the IUP as a whole and maybe consider a new financing partner. Things can break for a variety of reasons.and I agree with you that participation then gets painful.

When the process breaks, the customer gets caught in the middle where Apple can blame Citizens and Citizens can blame Apple. I haven't been caught in that scenario. However, the IUP issue is painful enough being caught between Engineering and Apple Agreements.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
One of the things needing to be looked at is how the various Apple databases do not integrate relative to IUP. IIRC. when this happened to me in 2017, Apple could see my “enrollment”, but could not see my status in their IUP app (because of confidentiality) and how things conflicted. They also had difficulty seeing the Citizen’s systems. I was not even sure they were permitted to view Citizen’s data. These barriers can only lengthen the time needed for correction.

An added problem is the lack of awareness among various divisions and groups of individuals, at Apple, that this is actually an issue. If one ends up having to talk with a new staff member, one often ends up having to “start over”.

Lastly, I suspect this is affecting a relatively small number of IUP participants. This makes it even more difficult to bring about a quick solution to what might be a complex issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: HobbesInVA

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
One of the things needing to be looked at is how the various Apple databases do not integrate relative to IUP. IIRC. when this happened to me in 2017, Apple could see my “enrollment”, but could not see my status in their IUP app (because of confidentiality) and how things conflicted. They also had difficulty seeing the Citizen’s systems. I was not even sure they were permitted to view Citizen’s data. These barriers can only lengthen the time needed for correction.

An added problem is the lack of awareness among various divisions and groups of individuals that this is actually an issue. If one ends up having to talk with a new staff member, one often ends up having to “start over”.

Lastly, I suspect this is affecting a relatively small number of IUP participants. This makes it even more difficult to bring about a quick solution to what might be a complex issue.

As long as the issue affects only a small number of customers, Apple will continue to do one-time fixes that may be manual. If the issue affected millions of customers, Apple would classify it as a Tier 1 issue and respond more urgently. It's obvious Apple's databases are not integrated internally or with Citizen's. That itself is part of the issue.

I suspect Apple has limited access to Citizen's system...may be no access at all due to customers' sensitive information like member demographics (i.e. SSNs, credit scores, etc.).

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
As long as the issue affects only a small number of customers, Apple will continue to do one-time fixes that may be manual. If the issue affected millions of customers, Apple would classify it as a Tier 1 issue and respond more urgently. It's obvious Apple's databases are not integrated internally or with Citizen's. That itself is part of the issue.

I suspect Apple has limited access to Citizen's system...may be no access at all due to customers' sensitive information like member demographics (i.e. SSNs, credit scores, etc.).
Can’t believe no phone call. Unfortunately, Apple service has been poor for me as well through this process.

Finally got response from my email to Tim Cook. Got call from memeber of “Excutive Liason” team. He will handle my case from here on out. No guarantee issue can be fixed.

I think this is impacting a lot of people. Unfortunately they won’t find out until they try to preorder next week. I would never have know about it; i stumbled upon this thread and checked my status to find out the issue is impacting me.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Can’t believe no phone call. Unfortunately, Apple service has been poor for me as well through this process.

Finally got response from my email to Tim Cook. Got call from memeber of “Excutive Liason” team. He will handle my case from here on out. No guarantee issue can be fixed.

I think this is impacting a lot of people. Unfortunately they won’t find out until they try to preorder next week. I would never have know about it; i stumbled upon this thread and checked my status to find out the issue is impacting me.

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't have known to check for this issue either if it wasn't for this thread.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008

There were threads in 2017 and I think 2016. That not withstanding, I am glad someone from Executive Relations has been assigned. The issue may still extend past pre-order date. However, getting Executive Relations involved is a significant positive step. I have found them to be very responsive. For those who complain about Apple’s customer support, I have found it to generally be well above that of other companies—even when there cannot be a timely solution. That is what keeps me in the Apple Eco-System. Thank you Tim Cook and all your staff. Much appreciated.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I just sent a mail to Tim Cook about this issue too. Hopefully, this will draw attention to this issue from the C-Board or Mr Cook's direct reports.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
There were threads in 2017 and I think 2016. That not withstanding, I am glad someone from Executive Relations has been assigned. The issue may still extend past pre-order date. However, getting Executive Relations involved is a significant positive step. I have found them to be very responsive. For those who complain about Apple’s customer support, I have found it to generally be well above that of other companies—even when there cannot be a timely solution. That is what keeps me in the Apple Eco-System. Thank you Tim Cook and all your staff. Much appreciated.
Everyone I spoken to has been friendly and polite. Unfortunately until I escalated, nobody was willing to take ownership of my issue. I received so much inaccurate info from Apple associates, including the manager of a retail Apple store, that I could only scratch my head. First adivisor in agreement I spoke to said I would need to go to an Apple Store to upgrade. He initially said “that has always been the process for iup members”. I just laughed.

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
I did the bounce around with Apple chat and 800 again today and I’m accepting the fact this is not going to be fixed for me by 9/14 pre-order.

If that’s the case, what is everyone planning on doing?

Try to upgrade/pre-order in store or over phone? Pay X off and a start a new IUP for XS. Skip this year?

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I want the Plus. They need to come up with a way that we can order at launch and have the details ironed out.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I want the Plus. They need to come up with a way that we can order at launch and have the details ironed out.

And what would happen if you had to wait a month to order? I am amazed at the “loco parentis” attitude that people have toward Apple. We all want a lot of things. Sometime it can’t come to be when we want it. I am sure the systems engineers are trying as best as they can to rectify to problem as quickly as they can. It requires a lot if systems to interact, which increases the likelihood of delay. It is only a phone. Not heart surgery.

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
This took about an hour to get fixed in same day for me with a quick call back.

Last edited:

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
How did you do it?
I called 1800myapple and told them that I was part of iUP and that it was saying I wasn't enrolled. They transferred me to an engineer who then got in touch with the Agreement team. They put him on hold so the engineer said he would call me back once he heard back and that I might not hear from him until Monday. He called back in about 30min and had me check my status. Issue resolved.

Was not nearly as hard to fix as I thought it would be. Maybe they are even more aware that this is happening now.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I called 1800myapple and told them that I was part of iUP and that it was saying I wasn't enrolled. They transferred me to an engineer who then got in touch with the Agreement team. They put him on hold so the engineer said he would call me back once he heard back and that I might not hear from him until Monday. He called back in about 30min and had me check my status. Issue resolved.

Was not nearly as hard to fix as I thought it would be. Maybe they are even more aware that this is happening now.
You got lucky. Ive called 4 times now, spoken to senior advisors, AppleCare agreement senior advisors and none of them knew what to do. I emailed Tim cook last night and a customer relations spoke to me about it and said this will be resolved by next week. Annoying.

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
I received a call from Executive Relations as well in response to my email to Tim Cook. She said she would try to have it resolved by Tuesday

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2014
I received a call from Executive Relations as well in response to my email to Tim Cook. She said she would try to have it resolved by Tuesday
Im having the same issue. The advisor I’m talking to said she was going to try to get it fix Tuesday before the keynote. I hope they fix it cause I would like to upgrade. Because what’s the point of having IUP if you can’t upgrade.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Got another call from Corp. they said that this might not be fixed until after Friday’s pre order. (I thought it was funny hearing an Apple employee saying that since they always act dumb when it comes to Apple rumors)

He said that the workaround is to order a new iPhone with a new upgrade program. Pick up in store then the store employees can see the case notes and fix it.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Got another call from Corp. they said that this might not be fixed until after Friday’s pre order. (I thought it was funny hearing an Apple employee saying that since they always act dumb when it comes to Apple rumors)

He said that the workaround is to order a new iPhone with a new upgrade program. Pick up in store then the store employees can see the case notes and fix it.

I am skeptical they can fix it in the store. I also am not sure if you can order a new phone on IUP, on the same line, with an outstanding phone that is not eligible. Then there is the issue of how the Citizen’s systems will react. Is there any way to confirm what the Apple staff member has told you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.