Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As a tax payer are you incensed with the CEOs of Walmart and other businesses that pay such poverty wages that some of their employees qualify for food stamps and other government programs paid for with tax payer dollars, or is your outrage reserved only for life guards and other positions of similar stature?
Taxpayers should be incensed regarding this specific situation with lifeguard wages. However they are held hostage by the government. With regards to Walmart the shareholders are the ones that have the power to change things.

Are you incensed that our elected representatives have their own health care system and leave office with many being millionaires? We can play the game of “are you incensed”.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Taxpayers should be incensed regarding this specific situation with lifeguard wages. However they are held hostage by the government. With regards to Walmart the shareholders are the ones that have the power to change things.
The government could force changes at Walmart as well. Good luck getting greedy wealthy shareholders to do anything about it.
Are you incensed that our elected representatives have their own health care system and leave office with many being millionaires? We can play the game of “are you incensed”.
Yup, I am actually. They should be forced to use only the coverage offered by the cheapest ACA marketplace plan.

Reactions: maxoakland

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Exactly. So why are you against Unions? Unions are one of the reasons the American workforce has protections that it has today.

Why are Unions taking the blame for what is essentially globalization of the workforce? Unless you think American workers should work under the same unfavorable conditions that workers in certain parts of the world work under?

I'm not understanding what you want from American workers? Do you want workers to agree to be exploited so that maybe, just maybe, their jobs won't be shipped overseas? Why are you placing the blame on Unions?
I'm still hung up on the implication that Apple Store retail jobs are going to be shipped overseas if they unionize. How does that possibly happen? Some sort of dimensional shift where the interior of the Maryland Apple Store exists in China while the exterior remains in Maryland?

And then there was the claim that unions "artificially" raise wages. What's "artificial" about it?

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I'm still hung up on the implication that Apple Store retail jobs are going to be shipped overseas if they unionize. How does that possibly happen? Some sort of dimensional shift where the interior of the Maryland Apple Store exists in China while the exterior remains in Maryland?

And then there was the claim that unions "artificially" raise wages. What's "artificial" about it?

Yeah, that's not going to happen, and I don't know why people are saying that.

I believe they're just going on autopilot and regurgitating talking points that they've heard before. Not all labor can be outsourced or automated.

People have just been brainwashed into thinking that if we fight for a fair shake, then our jobs will be taken away. So they end up blaming unions for everything.

Unfortunately, it appears labor history isn't taught in the United States. We seem to forget that all the perks the American workforce enjoys today (40 hour work week, minimum wage, paid leave etc.) were actually fought and won on the picket line.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The government could force changes at Walmart as well. Good luck getting greedy wealthy shareholders to do anything about it. [\QUOTE]
The same government that allows a lifeguard to earn almost $500k, could raise the minimum wage as well.
Yup, I am actually. They should be forced to use only the coverage offered by the cheapest ACA marketplace plan.
Something we agree on.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
There are minimum wage laws... If no laws are broken, no one can be blamed.

Do any of those employees choose to work just enough hours to stay within certain income tax brackets? If they deliberately stay within the lowest bracket, they avoid paying federal income tax and qualify for food stamps and they get to have more free time for themselves, as well as Obamacare.

If someone is so poor they’re staying at the lowest tax bracket to avoid becoming more poor, something is wrong with the system

When you make over a tax bracket, you only pay income tax on the amount that is over that bracket, not the amount you made before you went over

That’s the way it should be for low income people too

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
If someone is so poor they’re staying at the lowest tax bracket to avoid becoming more poor, something is wrong with the system

When you make over a tax bracket, you only pay income tax on the amount that is over that bracket, not the amount you made before you went over

I've tried to explain this to him already. I think he truly doesn't understand what progressive tax means. It's evidently a very American thing to speak so loudly about something you know little about.

What's more surprising though, is that these people think everyone else is a moron... Lol, imagine thinking the entire tax department of the largest economy on Earth didn't consider such a loophole.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I've tried to explain this to him already. I think he truly doesn't understand what progressive tax means. It's evidently a very American thing to speak so loudly about something you know little about.

What's more surprising though, is that these people think everyone else is a moron... Lol, imagine thinking the entire tax department of the largest economy on Earth didn't consider such a loophole.

Dunner-Krueger effect in action

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

Back with the welfare queens argument, huh?

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021

Those are just typical republican opinion talking points. No scientific data to back them up

Here’s the reality: Even people given basic income keep working. Almost everyone is motivated to work because it’s boring not to do anything and work is the number one place people socialize in our society

Real studies prove this, unlike partisan National Review opinion pieces

Reactions: A Hobo

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I didn’t make any claims that need to be backed up by scientific data. But the person you were responding to linked to a study.

And I linked to another study.

Also, this is all I saw from his link:
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.00.59 PM.png

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If you don’t understand the difference between a scientific study and a policy paper put out to promote a political stance, I don’t know what there is to discuss.

But, again, all your policy “analysis” does is list welfare benefits by location. It doesn’t support your ridiculous claim that people deliberately stay in the lowest tax bracket to avoid paying federal income tax.

Reactions: A Hobo

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
If you don’t understand the difference between a scientific study and a policy paper put out to promote a political stance, I don’t know what there is to discuss.

But, again, all your policy “analysis” does is list welfare benefits by location. It doesn’t support your ridiculous claim that people deliberately stay in the lowest tax bracket to avoid paying federal income tax.

I guess your definition of "study" is different from the dictionary and I don't see any scientific studies which counter what I found... So, yes, I guess there isn't anything to discuss.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Those are just typical republican opinion talking points. No scientific data to back them up

Here’s the reality: Even people given basic income keep working. Almost everyone is motivated to work because it’s boring not to do anything and work is the number one place people socialize in our society

Real studies prove this, unlike partisan National Review opinion pieces

Not true. Can you pull first party research data on Eastern European workers who moved to the UK - in the EU - and then stopped working?

It put a drain on the UK and the system.

No Republicans there. But there was Brexit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.