Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Apple would rather add more poop emojis than fix this issue! There's your emoji joke.

Is this issue exclusive to the 4k box or is it anything that supports Dolby Vision?

If the device supports DoVi, then it seems to revert to HDR10 (at least with the ATV box).
If the device doesn't support DoVi, then it reverts to SDR.

MacRumors failed to mention that in the article, making this look like an ATV issue only. Why report the whole thing when you can half-ass it. ;)

zoomp

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Same thing happened to me but I have a theory. It seems that the new iOS is being way more demanding on the cable requirements. It began to not accept my cable as a good Dolby Vision cable. I still need to buy a new cable, an official good 18gbps hdmi cable to test it.

Anyone is having this issue with a 18gbps hdmi tested cable?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Same thing happened to me but I have a theory. It seems that the new iOS is being way more demanding on the cable requirements. It began to not accept my cable as a good Dolby Vision cable. I still need to buy a new cable, an official good 18gbps hdmi cable to test it.

Anyone is having this issue with a 18gbps hdmi tested cable?

This issue isn't related to the cable, as other shows still play DoVi or HDR fine.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
It would be nice if the Apple TV showed what video format was being displayed. Similar to Amazon when you check the playback time.

Reactions: sofila

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I cannot wait to sign up for the Apple TV + Pro for 9.99 dollars extra

Sent from AirPods Pro on iPhone 11 Pro Max with iPad Pro

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Honestly, I prefer HDR10+ over DV in most scenes. Only on rare occasions, DV is better. Not sure if HDR10+ is supported though?

What Monitor/TV do you have that supports both HDR10+ and DolbyVision so you can do a side by side comparison? What content do you watch that has been graded in both formats?

Really curious as I know of no sets that support both and I would be interested in seeing a head to head comparison. Also, I would love to know what specific movies you are comparing, and which scenes you like better in HDR10+. Would make the comparison easier.

Neither AppleTV (the hardware), nor AppleTV+ (the service) support HDR10+.

Last edited:

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
The fact I have to reset my Apple TV 4K every couple of days is troubling.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
How many people actually notice a difference between HDR10 and Dolby vision anyway?

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Compared to static HDR10 which works uniformly across content, Dolby Vision HDR use dynamic image metadata that enables Dolby Vision-capable TVs to adapt the extended color gamut and increased contrast range of HDR on a scene-by-scene and even frame-by-frame basis. Losing the DV HDR support can result in scenes that look too dark, appear like a negative image, or have an odd tint to them.

Are we sure the shows that lost Dolby Vision are reverting to HDR10? On 4k UHD discs, HDR10 is the mandatory base layer that Dolby Vision is encoded on top of but my understanding is that streaming content isn't required to carry HDR10 metadata, streams can have Dolby Vision and only Dolby Vision. I wonder if Apple's shows are only coded with Dolby's HDR and they don't have a base HDR10 to automatically fall back on. If they did have HDR10 and were properly reverting to it, there's no reason why they should exhibit those picture problems. It could be the shows actually go back to SDR metadata and then AppleTV tries to simulate a fake HDR from the SDR, the way some 4k players have a mode that "upconverts" SDR to HDR. The feature does an OK job but there are always glitches.

Introducing Apple TV++ with Retina Vision HDR, $2 more monthly.

You mean like how Netflix charges you extra for HD and 4k?

How much does Netflix cost?
We have a variety of plans to fit your life.
  • Basic - ($8.99 per month) Watch on 1 screen in SD quality.
  • Standard - ($12.99 per month) Watch on 2 screens at a time with HD available.
  • Premium - ($15.99 per month) Watch on 4 screens at a time with HD and Ultra HD available.

Last edited:
Reactions: nutmac

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I had DV on the first 3-4 episodes of see, TMS and for all mankind. The later episodes all HDR. Now even the early episodes reverted to HDR.
Dickenson is still in DV.
Servant is all HDR.
[automerge]1575644660[/automerge]
Honestly, I prefer HDR10+ over DV in most scenes. Only on rare occasions, DV is better. Not sure if HDR10+ is supported though?
Almost nothing supports HDR10+. Not the ATV. I'm not sure if any streaming device does. Not even sure if any streaming service does? I had heard amazon was going to HDR10+ but I'm not sure that's happened yet or if it's still planned.
Perhaps you're confusing HDR10 with HDR10+? DV is superior to both though HDR10+ is much closer to DV.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Your experience alone suggests that the MR “more likely” scenario isn’t true, unless said support and said problem are location-specific.

That’s still awesome. Let’s have some emoji jokes, too.
Last time I checked was yesterday.
I’m traveling today so I will check again tomorrow.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I wish I could’ve snagged a 4K TV during the sales this year. I have yet to experience it!

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
The trend is that shows which were released in their entirety still have Dolby Vision (DV). Shows released gradually have had DV removed. Even the first episodes of See and For all Mankind have had DV removed.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I never really understood or looked into Dolby Vision HDR vs HDR10 (what I currently have). I thought I was golden with HDR10, but this article is making Dolby sound amazing and telling me I need to buy a new TV! :D What do you guys think? A worthwhile upgrade?

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, Samsung doesn't even offer Dolby Vision as they think HDR 10+ is better or don't want to pay Dolby the licensing fee (more likely).

So most of you (Samsung is the most popular flat panel) don't even have Dolby Vision capability on your 4K TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.