Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Use your TV's motion settings. Problem solved. With the proper settings you won't get dropped frames from that and you also won't get the soap opera effect(which no one wants). I have my LG B6 set that way and never see any dropped frames.

I have an LG C7 and JVC projector. I am not going to use motion settings to smooth over Apple’s deficiencies in frame rate management. Whether you have motion smoothing on or off, the Apple TV is not matching the frame rate of its 24.000hz source material and is dropping frames. If you don’t watch foreign film you’ll likely never have an issue.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I have an LG C7 and JVC projector. I am not going to use motion settings to smooth over Apple’s deficiencies in frame rate management. Whether you have motion smoothing on or off, the Apple TV is not matching the frame rate of its 24.000hz source material and is dropping frames. If you don’t watch foreign film you’ll likely never have an issue.
Up to you. I'm just saying it works and it's easy to turn on and you have nothing to lose. Hopefully apple will fix it someday. But until then it's an option.

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
I watched the S1 finale of SEE last night and my Vizio TV said Dolby Vision HDR.

But what does keep happening is that my 4K AppleTV keeps losing track of the video settings. Once or twice a week, when I start the ATV up is says "Do you want to try Dolby Vision" and it turns on as if it hadn't even been turned on before. It is rather distracting and annoying, though once I do turn it on it is OK... until the next time. This didn't happen until the most recent version of the tvOS.

I have two 4K AppleTVs on two different Vizio P-series televisions, all fully HDR Dolby Vision compatible.

corksta

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Auckland
No DV for me on a Sony OLED since episode 5 and later for those shows. Initial episodes were DV, but even they’ve been removed and play in standard HDR now. I did notice a difference, image just looked flatter and more dull.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I watched the S1 finale of SEE last night and my Vizio TV said Dolby Vision HDR.

But what does keep happening is that my 4K AppleTV keeps losing track of the video settings. Once or twice a week, when I start the ATV up is says "Do you want to try Dolby Vision" and it turns on as if it hadn't even been turned on before. It is rather distracting and annoying, though once I do turn it on it is OK... until the next time. This didn't happen until the most recent version of the tvOS.

I have two 4K AppleTVs on two different Vizio P-series televisions, all fully HDR Dolby Vision compatible.
Is your ATV4k set for dolby vision in the menu? Match turned off? If so you're not getting a dolby vision feed, it's forcing it.
I leave it set at 4k SDR in the menu with the match settings on. Then it switches correctly for the content.

Last edited:

thmoore20850

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
We went all-in on 4k this week – spiffy new LG TV with all the latest A/V stuff, Vizio soundbar with Atmos, and Apple TV 4K. "The Crown" on Netflix looked absolutely lovely, but when we swapped over to the Apple TV+ app, and watched the latest "For all Mankind," it put us in Dolby Vision mode, and then dropped the sound for a second or two repeatedly during the hour (each time, the "Dolby Vision" banner appeared in the top right-hand corner of the screen as the sound came back...maybe 20 times total). Incredibly annoying, and my wife was not unreasonable to give me a look that said, 'Why'd we spend all this money on something that doesn't work as well as the 10-year-old stuff we had?'

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
We went all-in on 4k this week – spiffy new LG TV with all the latest A/V stuff, Vizio soundbar with Atmos, and Apple TV 4K. "The Crown" on Netflix looked absolutely lovely, but when we swapped over to the Apple TV+ app, and watched the latest "For all Mankind," it put us in Dolby Vision mode, and then dropped the sound for a second or two repeatedly during the hour (each time, the "Dolby Vision" banner appeared in the top right-hand corner of the screen as the sound came back...maybe 20 times total). Incredibly annoying, and my wife was not unreasonable to give me a look that said, 'Why'd we spend all this money on something that doesn't work as well as the 10-year-old stuff we had?'
Well that's definitely not normal. I've never had that issue. ATV4k connected via wifi or wired? ATV+ is using a higher bitrate than anything else. Could be an issue if you're on wifi.

thmoore20850

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Well that's definitely not normal. I've never had that issue. ATV4k connected via wifi or wired? ATV+ is using a higher bitrate than anything else. Could be an issue if you're on wifi.

100MB Ethernet! (should have mentioned that; thanks!)

I've bought new HMDI cables, though, as others have pointed out here, if the existing cables are a problem, it shouldn't work fine with Netflix and not fine with Apple TV+...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

I've bought new HMDI cables, though, as others have pointed out here, if the existing cables are a problem, it shouldn't work fine with Netflix and not fine with Apple TV+...

Well, ATV+ is streaming at a much higher bitrate than Netflix. 30 Mbps vs 17 Mbps on average.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon

I don't think it's cables. Maybe a setting issue. You said you watched for all mankind in dolby vision but with this current issue it's not in dolby vision which makes me think a setting is wrong.

In the settings menu set it to 4k SDR with both match settings on if you haven't already.
What speed internet are you paying for? When these issues happen run a speedtest. Make sure you're getting what you're supposed to be. At peak times speeds often drop.

Navychop

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
I just went into settings on my AppleTV and noticed that under video Dolby Vision was no longer set up even though I just turned it on last week when I installed my new TV. Once I ran the test and (once again) confirmed my TV supported it everything went back to being in Dolby Vision. My guess is a software update required the Dolby vision test again.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I just went into settings on my AppleTV and noticed that under video Dolby Vision was no longer set up even though I just turned it on last week when I installed my new TV. Once I ran the test and (once again) confirmed my TV supported it everything went back to being in Dolby Vision. My guess is a software update required the Dolby vision test again.

There is something ASTONISHINGLY broken with the way Apple handles preferences across all its OSs.
I don't get how this bug still persists after at least three years, but every few weeks SOME preference in my collection of devices randomly toggles. Maybe Siri decides to start speaking in a different voice. Maybe Maps decides to stop showing traffic.
It's ridiculous! And perhaps it has now moved over to tvOS?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
There is something ASTONISHINGLY broken with the way Apple handles preferences across all its OSs.
I don't get how this bug still persists after at least three years, but every few weeks SOME preference in my collection of devices randomly toggles. Maybe Siri decides to start speaking in a different voice. Maybe Maps decides to stop showing traffic.
It's ridiculous! And perhaps it has now moved over to tvOS?
I'm not having this happen on anything. Not my ATV's or any other apple product.

Reactions: StyxMaker

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Apple's version of DV HDR streaming is a mess. Blacks are elevated on my OLED tv, including letterbox bars, when watching my movies, or watching Netflix and Vudu. Same movies in DV on my 2019 NVIDIA Shield or via the internal apps on my tv, show no elevated blacks with DV content. It's been that way since Apple started streaming DV encodes.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Just fired up today’s episode of for man kind and it’s playing in Dolby vision with Dolby atoms like it always had on my lg c9 oled tv. Maybe it’s a bug and some users are affected.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Just fired up today’s episode of for man kind and it’s playing in Dolby vision with Dolby atoms like it always had on my lg c9 oled tv. Maybe it’s a bug and some users are affected.

Probably because you don’t have match settings enabled and it’s been forcing it?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Apple's version of DV HDR streaming is a mess. Blacks are elevated on my OLED tv, including letterbox bars, when watching my movies, or watching Netflix and Vudu. Same movies in DV on my 2019 NVIDIA Shield or via the internal apps on my tv, show no elevated blacks with DV content. It's been that way since Apple started streaming DV encodes.

It’s fine on my OLED.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It’s fine on my OLED.
Not on mine. I'm not the only LG OLED owner with this issue. Other over on AVSforums saying the same thing. Quite obvious when watching in a dark room with no lights on. All my other streaming devices have no issues streaming DV content, so I know it's not my tv.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Not on mine. I'm not the only LG OLED owner with this issue. Other over on AVSforums saying the same thing. Quite obvious when watching in a dark room with no lights on. All my other streaming devices have no issues streaming DV content, so I know it's not my tv.

I do watch in a dark room with no lights on a LG OLED.

Reactions: matrix07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.