Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I really love "The Docking Station" and I am seriously thinking about contributing to the project.

image.jpg

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I really love "The Docking Station" and I am seriously thinking about contributing to the project.

View attachment 535578

I'll tell you that I was a click away from contributing to this Kickstart last night. HOWEVER! I just had a feeling. I was doing some reading and did some thinking. This is why I ditched this exact dock and ordered the Nomad Stand instead.

Problems with the W3 Dock:

1) This item will not ship until the end of June (per their Kickstart). The Nomad stand ships April 30th (the first 5,000 units).

2) I was thinking about the lightning cables for the W3 Dock. Sure, it makes everything look so compact and less chaotic with cables in the photo above, BUT you have to use your own Apple Watch charger, but the way he talks about the lightning cables for the iPhone/iPad stands is confusing. You're still going to have a lot of cables coming out of odd spots. I'm just not sold on something that I can't see clearly in a photo. After all, that photo is just a prototype.

3) $139 (with shipping) is a lot of money to put up front for this stand. You have to wait a minimum of two months after the Apple Watch release to even get this stand (assuming it releases on time). I ordered the Nomad Stand (at 30% off) and paid $46 with shipping.

4) If you read through the comments the Kickstarter page, the creator specifies that they still have work to do on the W3 dock and that it will take longer to create, produce, and ship.

These may all be dumb points to other people, but I just wasn't 110% sold on this Kickstarter. I was so close to ordering it. I would be able to put my watch, iPhone, and iPad Air 2 all together in the same dock. But having to wait, and maybe get a product that I wasn't really happy with just screamed no to me. For $46, the Nomad Stand is awesome! And I thought about it, if I'm going to spend $139 for a stand that I'm not even sure will please me, why not just put that money towards a black leather loop for my watch instead??

Just some things to think about. Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Dat Preimum One W3!!!
That is what I'm looking for, but I'm apprehensive of doing a KickStarter. I'm definitely going to follow them, and I'll consider throwing money to their project.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Check out my post above. Just my opinion

Yeah, I saw yours after I made mine, hence my apprehension. I'm probably not going to back them, but I will follow them and see where they go with the W3 model. A single Watch stand won't fill my needs right now, I want in all in one like this W3. Needless to say, they have my attention.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
The nomad looks great night have to go for that one.

I personally will never back another iPhone accessory kickstarter, I backed a project for a case when the iPhone 5 was about to come out and it just never delivered most projects see delays and I am not patient enough to wait on something that is being paired with a product I may upgrade in 12 months.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
The nomad looks great night have to go for that one.

I personally will never back another iPhone accessory kickstarter, I backed a project for a case when the iPhone 5 was about to come out and it just never delivered most projects see delays and I am not patient enough to wait on something that is being paired with a product I may upgrade in 12 months.

I agree. I backed a couple projects and both of them were delayed significantly. One was over a year late. I will going with a reputable company for sure.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

View attachment 535578

I know it's to save on width, but not sure I really like the iPad being hidden by the phone. Would like a design that has all screens with a clear view.

Could the phone be sideways, low down and the iPad raised perhaps ?

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Nomad Stands and Charger Pod look great. Does the Pod allow you to charge your watch while its plugged in, does it come with an Apple Watch charger?

enblue

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Germany
A message from the PREMIUM ONE creator

I'll tell you that I was a click away from contributing to this Kickstart last night. HOWEVER! I just had a feeling. I was doing some reading and did some thinking. This is why I ditched this exact dock and ordered the Nomad Stand instead.

Problems with the W3 Dock:

1) This item will not ship until the end of June (per their Kickstart). The Nomad stand ships April 30th (the first 5,000 units).

2) I was thinking about the lightning cables for the W3 Dock. Sure, it makes everything look so compact and less chaotic with cables in the photo above, BUT you have to use your own Apple Watch charger, but the way he talks about the lightning cables for the iPhone/iPad stands is confusing. You're still going to have a lot of cables coming out of odd spots. I'm just not sold on something that I can't see clearly in a photo. After all, that photo is just a prototype.

3) $139 (with shipping) is a lot of money to put up front for this stand. You have to wait a minimum of two months after the Apple Watch release to even get this stand (assuming it releases on time). I ordered the Nomad Stand (at 30% off) and paid $46 with shipping.

4) If you read through the comments the Kickstarter page, the creator specifies that they still have work to do on the W3 dock and that it will take longer to create, produce, and ship.

These may all be dumb points to other people, but I just wasn't 110% sold on this Kickstarter. I was so close to ordering it. I would be able to put my watch, iPhone, and iPad Air 2 all together in the same dock. But having to wait, and maybe get a product that I wasn't really happy with just screamed no to me. For $46, the Nomad Stand is awesome! And I thought about it, if I'm going to spend $139 for a stand that I'm not even sure will please me, why not just put that money towards a black leather loop for my watch instead??

Just some things to think about. Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.

Hey, I am the creator. Thanks for discussing this here. Obviously it also helps to determine what the user prefers and this is why we started The Kickstarter project. It is always good to listen :)

1) You really can't compare Nomad (but, a really beautiful one!)with the W2 or the W3 as they are based on different concepts. We were keen to develop a solution to charge the Apple Watch with your devices, without a bunch of cables, to keep they all in one place. W1, the single stand, we just added to create the same look if different models are preferred and used (e.g. family) so that they have options. We can see right now on KS that our combos are much more appreciated as most users want to reduce their charging devices.

2) You are right about confusing with the cables. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Will update that tomorrow on KS. Indeed you have to bring, as on all stands in the moment, your own Apple Watch cable as there is no third party one available at the moment. We put this into our design development as we also saw the need that you need to quickly be able to install or remove that cable (traveling). We can guarantee that there are no screws or whatever, a quite simple but rather clever :))) magnetic cover of will guarantee that.

So for the two models , W2 and W3, two cables will come out of back of the unit ,one for the lightning (the W3 combines two lightning lines in one cable) and one for the Apple Watch. Both lead into one wall plug delivered with our units. These plugs also takes the MAgSafe USB cable, so no need to use the Apple wall plug, but you can if you want to operate with two separate wall plugs

3) We only have to do some small adjustments in dimensions of the Magsafe "Eye" diameter to fit into our circle. This is a small CAD change for the CNC milling but, our production guys here in the forum know what I am talking about, not a big deal. All units are milled out of an aluminum block. The units on the pictures are working prototypes. All have been really made, no virtual pictures (except the watch tower of the gold version as we decided late to add this and didn`t had any "towers" left). Well , we will start first doing the single stands ordered on KS, than the W2 and W3. They simply took more production and assembling time but since they are all based on a modular concept we don't expect delays here. We will start shipping the first singles end of May, followed by the first W2 and W3 approx. second half of June. We have pretty good experience on manufacturing projects. Don't know if you have read it but we did a KS project last year and we didn't succeed. We then promised every backer they could do a direct order and we delivered on time, in April! We take things very serious.

Hope that helps a bit. We will upload a backside cable image tomorrow. More questions, please email me: michael@enbluetec.com. And for the prices and delivery time. Please keep in mind that we do a Kickstarter project here, we are not selling mass stuff like Griffin, every unit is single precision milled, something you can't reach with a mold. And I don't see a problem to buy a Nomad and back our KS project as well :), Best Michael

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Hey, I am the creator. Thanks for discussing this here. Obviously it also helps to determine what the user prefers and this is why we started The Kickstarter project. It is always good to listen :)

1) You really can't compare Nomad (but, a really beautiful one!)with the W2 or the W3 as they are based on different concepts. We were keen to develop a solution to charge the Apple Watch with your devices, without a bunch of cables, to keep they all in one place. W1, the single stand, we just added to create the same look if different models are preferred and used (e.g. family) so that they have options. We can see right now on KS that our combos are much more appreciated as most users want to reduce their charging devices.

2) You are right about confusing with the cables. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Will update that tomorrow on KS. Indeed you have to bring, as on all stands in the moment, your own Apple Watch cable as there is no third party one available at the moment. We put this into our design development as we also saw the need that you need to quickly be able to install or remove that cable (traveling). We can guarantee that there are no screws or whatever, a quite simple but rather clever :))) magnetic cover of will guarantee that.

So for the two models , W2 and W3, two cables will come out of back of the unit ,one for the lightning (the W3 combines two lightning lines in one cable) and one for the Apple Watch. Both lead into one wall plug delivered with our units. These plugs also takes the MAgSafe USB cable, so no need to use the Apple wall plug, but you can if you want to operate with two separate wall plugs

3) We only have to do some small adjustments in dimensions of the Magsafe "Eye" diameter to fit into our circle. This is a small CAD change for the CNC milling but, our production guys here in the forum know what I am talking about, not a big deal. All units are milled out of an aluminum block. The units on the pictures are working prototypes. All have been really made, no virtual pictures (except the watch tower of the gold version as we decided late to add this and didn`t had any "towers" left). Well , we will start first doing the single stands ordered on KS, than the W2 and W3. They simply took more production and assembling time but since they are all based on a modular concept we don't expect delays here. We will start shipping the first singles end of May, followed by the first W2 and W3 approx. second half of June. We have pretty good experience on manufacturing projects. Don't know if you have read it but we did a KS project last year and we didn't succeed. We then promised every backer they could do a direct order and we delivered on time, in April! We take things very serious.

Hope that helps a bit. We will upload a backside cable image tomorrow. More questions, please email me: michael@enbluetec.com. And for the prices and delivery time. Please keep in mind that we do a Kickstarter project here, we are not selling mass stuff like Griffin, every unit is single precision milled, something you can't reach with a mold. And I don't see a problem to buy a Nomad and back our KS project as well :), Best Michael

Thanks for your response, Michael! Your dock is still in hot contention for my money :)

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I love the Premium One charging station, however if I pull the trigger and get the black SS...there will be no spending money on any accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.