Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Yep. And I'm sure the bands with lugs will look fine unfastened on these stands - but the sport watch might look a little silly if the top band isn't heavy enough to "flop" over the stand - FWIW

Yeah looking silly is the first thing I think about when going to bed and charging my phone/watch..... what would the neighbors think if my watch band just flopped up in the air?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Just some things to think about. Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.
Ok thanks.
BUT what I read is you're too impatient to wait for the product you really want (per your own words).... two months is nothing to wait for a quality product that fits your needs as YOU laid them on the table.

I laid my money down for the W2 and will excitedly await their arrival.... PLUS if you look the kickstarter goes on for another 27 days are so... they'll have their funding long before that IMHO that means earlier release..... maybe.

Last edited:

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I'll tell you that I was a click away from contributing to this Kickstart last night. HOWEVER! I just had a feeling. I was doing some reading and did some thinking. This is why I ditched this exact dock and ordered the Nomad Stand instead.

Problems with the W3 Dock:

1) This item will not ship until the end of June (per their Kickstart). The Nomad stand ships April 30th (the first 5,000 units).

2) I was thinking about the lightning cables for the W3 Dock. Sure, it makes everything look so compact and less chaotic with cables in the photo above, BUT you have to use your own Apple Watch charger, but the way he talks about the lightning cables for the iPhone/iPad stands is confusing. You're still going to have a lot of cables coming out of odd spots. I'm just not sold on something that I can't see clearly in a photo. After all, that photo is just a prototype.

3) $139 (with shipping) is a lot of money to put up front for this stand. You have to wait a minimum of two months after the Apple Watch release to even get this stand (assuming it releases on time). I ordered the Nomad Stand (at 30% off) and paid $46 with shipping.

4) If you read through the comments the Kickstarter page, the creator specifies that they still have work to do on the W3 dock and that it will take longer to create, produce, and ship.

These may all be dumb points to other people, but I just wasn't 110% sold on this Kickstarter. I was so close to ordering it. I would be able to put my watch, iPhone, and iPad Air 2 all together in the same dock. But having to wait, and maybe get a product that I wasn't really happy with just screamed no to me. For $46, the Nomad Stand is awesome! And I thought about it, if I'm going to spend $139 for a stand that I'm not even sure will please me, why not just put that money towards a black leather loop for my watch instead??

Just some things to think about. Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to share your point of view.

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I know it's to save on width, but not sure I really like the iPad being hidden by the phone. Would like a design that has all screens with a clear view.

Could the phone be sideways, low down and the iPad raised perhaps ?

Hmmm, good point but that aspect doesn't really bother me. My iPad is a mini and I primarily use my iPhone. So I charge one and use the other.

----------

Hey, I am the creator. Thanks for discussing this here. Obviously it also helps to determine what the user prefers and this is why we started The Kickstarter project. It is always good to listen :)

1) You really can't compare Nomad (but, a really beautiful one!)with the W2 or the W3 as they are based on different concepts. We were keen to develop a solution to charge the Apple Watch with your devices, without a bunch of cables, to keep they all in one place. W1, the single stand, we just added to create the same look if different models are preferred and used (e.g. family) so that they have options. We can see right now on KS that our combos are much more appreciated as most users want to reduce their charging devices.

2) You are right about confusing with the cables. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Will update that tomorrow on KS. Indeed you have to bring, as on all stands in the moment, your own Apple Watch cable as there is no third party one available at the moment. We put this into our design development as we also saw the need that you need to quickly be able to install or remove that cable (traveling). We can guarantee that there are no screws or whatever, a quite simple but rather clever :))) magnetic cover of will guarantee that.

So for the two models , W2 and W3, two cables will come out of back of the unit ,one for the lightning (the W3 combines two lightning lines in one cable) and one for the Apple Watch. Both lead into one wall plug delivered with our units. These plugs also takes the MAgSafe USB cable, so no need to use the Apple wall plug, but you can if you want to operate with two separate wall plugs

3) We only have to do some small adjustments in dimensions of the Magsafe "Eye" diameter to fit into our circle. This is a small CAD change for the CNC milling but, our production guys here in the forum know what I am talking about, not a big deal. All units are milled out of an aluminum block. The units on the pictures are working prototypes. All have been really made, no virtual pictures (except the watch tower of the gold version as we decided late to add this and didn`t had any "towers" left). Well , we will start first doing the single stands ordered on KS, than the W2 and W3. They simply took more production and assembling time but since they are all based on a modular concept we don't expect delays here. We will start shipping the first singles end of May, followed by the first W2 and W3 approx. second half of June. We have pretty good experience on manufacturing projects. Don't know if you have read it but we did a KS project last year and we didn't succeed. We then promised every backer they could do a direct order and we delivered on time, in April! We take things very serious.

Hope that helps a bit. We will upload a backside cable image tomorrow. More questions, please email me: michael@enbluetec.com. And for the prices and delivery time. Please keep in mind that we do a Kickstarter project here, we are not selling mass stuff like Griffin, every unit is single precision milled, something you can't reach with a mold. And I don't see a problem to buy a Nomad and back our KS project as well :), Best Michael

Thanks for responding to this thread and answering some questions that I had about the project. I am looking forward to seeing the final result when it comes out in June.

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Ok thanks.
BUT what I read is you're too impatient to wait for the product you really want (per your own words).... two months is nothing to wait for a quality product that fits your needs as YOU laid them on the table.

I laid my money down for the W2 and will excitedly await their arrival.... PLUS if you look the kickstarter goes on for another 27 days are so... they'll have their funding long before that IMHO that means earlier release..... maybe.

I was just sharing mate. No need to throw the "but". I know what I wrote. I'm not saying that I'm not going to keep an eye on it. I was just sharing a point of view. Everyone has their own hiccups. You don't have a problem with anything. I just have concerns I was sharing and the creator was nice enough to address those issues. I'll tell you, like I told him. I'll continue to keep an interest in the product. I wasn't shooting it down. Just choosing not to get it at this moment in time.

----------

Hey, I am the creator. Thanks for discussing this here. Obviously it also helps to determine what the user prefers and this is why we started The Kickstarter project. It is always good to listen :)

1) You really can't compare Nomad (but, a really beautiful one!)with the W2 or the W3 as they are based on different concepts. We were keen to develop a solution to charge the Apple Watch with your devices, without a bunch of cables, to keep they all in one place. W1, the single stand, we just added to create the same look if different models are preferred and used (e.g. family) so that they have options. We can see right now on KS that our combos are much more appreciated as most users want to reduce their charging devices.

2) You are right about confusing with the cables. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Will update that tomorrow on KS. Indeed you have to bring, as on all stands in the moment, your own Apple Watch cable as there is no third party one available at the moment. We put this into our design development as we also saw the need that you need to quickly be able to install or remove that cable (traveling). We can guarantee that there are no screws or whatever, a quite simple but rather clever :))) magnetic cover of will guarantee that.

So for the two models , W2 and W3, two cables will come out of back of the unit ,one for the lightning (the W3 combines two lightning lines in one cable) and one for the Apple Watch. Both lead into one wall plug delivered with our units. These plugs also takes the MAgSafe USB cable, so no need to use the Apple wall plug, but you can if you want to operate with two separate wall plugs

3) We only have to do some small adjustments in dimensions of the Magsafe "Eye" diameter to fit into our circle. This is a small CAD change for the CNC milling but, our production guys here in the forum know what I am talking about, not a big deal. All units are milled out of an aluminum block. The units on the pictures are working prototypes. All have been really made, no virtual pictures (except the watch tower of the gold version as we decided late to add this and didn`t had any "towers" left). Well , we will start first doing the single stands ordered on KS, than the W2 and W3. They simply took more production and assembling time but since they are all based on a modular concept we don't expect delays here. We will start shipping the first singles end of May, followed by the first W2 and W3 approx. second half of June. We have pretty good experience on manufacturing projects. Don't know if you have read it but we did a KS project last year and we didn't succeed. We then promised every backer they could do a direct order and we delivered on time, in April! We take things very serious.

Hope that helps a bit. We will upload a backside cable image tomorrow. More questions, please email me: michael@enbluetec.com. And for the prices and delivery time. Please keep in mind that we do a Kickstarter project here, we are not selling mass stuff like Griffin, every unit is single precision milled, something you can't reach with a mold. And I don't see a problem to buy a Nomad and back our KS project as well :), Best Michael

I appreciate you taking the time to write a response Michael. In no way was I trying to degrade your products. I think they have a great design and are absolutely beautiful. I will continue to keep an interest in your product.

Last edited by a moderator:

enblue

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Germany
I was just sharing mate. No need to throw the "but". I know what I wrote. I'm not saying that I'm not going to keep an eye on it. I was just sharing a point of view. Everyone has their own hiccups. You don't have a problem with anything. I just have concerns I was sharing and the creator was nice enough to address those issues. I'll tell you, like I told him. I'll continue to keep an interest in the product. I wasn't shooting it down. Just choosing not to get it at this moment in time.

----------

I appreciate you taking the time to write a response Michael. In no way was I trying to degrade your products. I think they have a great design and are absolutely beautiful. I will continue to keep an interest in your product.

Hi applegeek, really no worries here, indeed it really helps a lot to understand our future customers. Nobody can promise 100% but always trying to get as perfect as possible :) Last couple months my wife probably got the feeling I was cheating her on the Apple Watch....

Last edited by a moderator:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
I was just sharing mate.

As was I. I know you can get stung by KS... trust me I've lost my investment a few different times BUT it sounds like you really like the product, it's exactly what you're looking for and you can get in while it's "cheaper". IF you're paying for the other product AND keeping an eye on this one it sounds like money isn't exactly a major issue..... forgive me if I'm mistaken but why not go ahead and take the chance? I don't care either way and sorry if my reply came on strong. PLUS he came and responded in person.... on a different site so to me that says a lot. Good luck with your choices either way. I don't think you can go wrong with the other one you're looking at by the way.... just hate to see someone say it's what they were looking for then get scared off.

enblue

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Germany
As was I. I know you can get stung by KS... trust me I've lost my investment a few different times BUT it sounds like you really like the product, it's exactly what you're looking for and you can get in while it's "cheaper". IF you're paying for the other product AND keeping an eye on this one it sounds like money isn't exactly a major issue..... forgive me if I'm mistaken but why not go ahead and take the chance? I don't care either way and sorry if my reply came on strong. PLUS he came and responded in person.... on a different site so to me that says a lot. Good luck with your choices either way. I don't think you can go wrong with the other one you're looking at by the way.... just hate to see someone say it's what they were looking for then get scared off.
Reading comments here and in other forums it really looks like to me that Kickstarter campaigns have to deal with that negative image some projects created by either stretching times to the max or even not deliver at all. Its like in normal life, the bad news make it to the media first. Things can happen sometimes you can't foreseen or may be some creators don't have the experience. See, there are projects out with a goal of 50K and suddenly people like it so much and it reaches multiple of that. If you don't have that experience how to manage and how to ship around the world, you can easily get yourself into a very bad position. And may be some guys celebrate to much...
This might be an opportunity for Kickstarter to put in some more rules, may be to establish a board of advisers to help you out, also after the project has been funded, they got the money to do that.
It would help to gain(regain) reputation as the number one start-up base to make the American Dream come true. To require to upload a kind of very basic, lets call it not business- but "project plan" with some numbers, kind of a one pager would be a good thing to start with imo. And it will convince potential backers even more as it will show that the creator understands what he is doing.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
My experience with Kickstarter iPhone accessories is that you'll receive them a few months after the new iPhone that makes it obsolete comes out.

allenshi

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
i ordered the nomadpod...

i'm wondering can the pod be used as a charger/dock for every day charges instead of a battery pack?

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
i ordered the nomadpod...

i'm wondering can the pod be used as a charger/dock for every day charges instead of a battery pack?

Good question! I'm more interested in having it plugged in most of the time as well. I just sent them an email asking.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Man I really wanted the NOMAD but can't justify paying $60. Anyone know anymore coupons similar to 30% off? 15% off is good but not great.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i want something that charges both my phone and watch and uses one outlet plug and I don't need to use my chargers (its built in)

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Man I really wanted the NOMAD but can't justify paying $60. Anyone know anymore coupons similar to 30% off? 15% off is good but not great.

i missed the 30% coupon... i'm not willing to order one for only 15% off either.... wonder why they pulled the 30% so soon?

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
I think we are going to need to wait for that. That's what I was looking for too. And hoping to not have to spend $80 for a stand for two devices.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Nomad discount was 20% as mentioned above.

Regarding Kickstarter, I have purchased many products. I don't recall too many that delivered on the date they initially promised. Unless the seller already had a producer lined up and everything goes perfectly, there can be delays.

I am just speaking from experience with other projects. Keep that in mind if you are new to Kickstarter. It is not a typical "preorder".

I jumped on the Nomad. Didn't know about the KS. The combo charger is clever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.