Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Looks like they added a Space Gray/Black round version as well. Tempting, but I think I'm going to grab one of the TPU stands until I can figure out what kind of setup I want.

Are you going to keep it?
Going back today. The charge ports are sporadic in working. Even if it was a perfect unit I'd send it back. I bought it with the belief that it could be used with iPhone and would allow one handed operation (in other words allow one to place the iPhone in the dock piece and connect to the charger). As it is designed, the piece holding the lightning connector is way too big so the lightning connector is not firm in the base of the base and just retracts back into the base. (If that makes any sense at all! LOL)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Too bad, but understandable.

Of the combo stands I've seen, the Belkin Valet at the Apple stores is the nicest. It's a retail exclusive for Apple, but it can also be ordered directly from Belkin, and they do run discount promos. I'm waiting to see what BF will bring.

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I got this on Amazon for $8 and really love it.
Sorry, I don't have another camera to get a picture with my phone on it but it holds my 6+ great!

I love this one also. I don't use it to hold my phone but I like what it does for the watch. Just ordered a second one to replace the one I sold with my previous watch.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Happened upon this Insignia (BB house brand).

I like the concept, if not the execution or price. Functional, though the monotone makes it very plain looking, and about double what it should cost, though it will probably be dirt cheap when it goes on clearance.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
Just picked up the Spigen s350 for $6.99 shipped on amazon... seems like great deal! Wish my series 2 Watch would get here as fast :)

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Started with the Elevaton Labs (terrible), the Spigen s350 (so much better) and since 2 weeks the Apple Magnetic Dock (best) :)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I ordered the Orzly TPU stand. It's the best compromise for my taste for now, and cheap enough.

I just couldn't abide by the side exit for the cable on the Spigen (or Qadou or Fintie clones).

The Moko gives the open for rear or side exit, but neither it nor almost identical Spigen have any sort of rear support for a heavier band, like the extended foot of the Orzly. Some reviews also cited that it could be unbalance and not have enough rake, but that could be user error.

The Elevation Labs lacks any sort of bottom support and relies entirely on the magnetic force of the puck; instant elimination.

The biggest complaint about the Orzly is the acute angle of the cable, but since it's not subject to continual working stress, I'm willing to take that risk. It's also a little larger than the rest, but still not obtrusive to me.

Paid little attention to all the complaints about the issues with the various adhesive fastening methods; it was quite apparent to me what adhesives are supposed to do, and the risks associated with applying them to delicate or valued surfaces. Still, it would be nice if the vendors included the pads as an option, but not pre-attached to the stands out of the package.

Reactions: GeekyGrannie

niijonodhg

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm actually now using the Orzly Nightstand in my car and charging it on my commute to work instead of over night. It's working wonders and I can use the Sleep Tracking apps now!

See what I mean here:

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I actually went with the belkin valet stand & i haven't had a issue with it since

25371512866_162532afc3_z.jpg
My husband has this one. He really likes it. A bit spendy I thought though.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I'm actually now using the Orzly Nightstand in my car and charging it on my commute to work instead of over night. It's working wonders and I can use the Sleep Tracking apps now!

See what I mean here:

I actually just got this one this weekend and love it. Had a little issue getting the cable right so it wouldn't pop out but once I did then haven't had an issue. Doesn't take much space and makes it much simper to get the watch on the charger instead of laying it down and having to worry about the cable being flipped over.

princesspale

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKLWUFM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this for my 7+ and series 2 - loving it so far - the price has jumped up to some ridiculous 89 dollars though.
I paid 55. Super happy with it - only thing that ever catches my eye is the belkin valet - but at 130 dollars easy pass.
[doublepost=1479766409][/doublepost]
I actually went with the belkin valet stand & i haven't had a issue with it since

25371512866_162532afc3_z.jpg

How do you feel about it? It keeps catching my eye, but 130 bucks...OOF.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKLWUFM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this for my 7+ and series 2 - loving it so far - the price has jumped up to some ridiculous 89 dollars though.
I paid 55. Super happy with it - only thing that ever catches my eye is the belkin valet - but at 130 dollars easy pass.
[doublepost=1479766409][/doublepost]

How do you feel about it? It keeps catching my eye, but 130 bucks...OOF.

The Belkin Valet is nice. Unfortunately, even though it's also available from Belkin directly, they exclude it from their 25% discount code sales. I thought that could be a back door, since Apple Stores don't discount, but it didn't work.

$89 for the other one isn't that bad, considering it has both an integral charging puck and Lightning connector. There are others that aren't cheap and still force one to BYO. It's also in the same ballpark as the plastic Belkin PowerHouse.

I've no complaints with my $8 Orzly.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I bought this stand with a discount for black friday
https://www.amazon.com/Simpeak-4-port-Charging-Dock-Station/dp/B018QE74AK
It is really convenient since you have 4 USB ports with just one plug on the wall. One is hidden inside the box, you can put the Watch charging cable there and have 3 additional ports for charging other appliances. I use it to charge the Watch and iPhone simultaneously and I have two more ports so I can charge the iPad as well.

I really like the Belkin stand but is too pricey, it includes charging for Watch but I only charge my Watch during the night and I don't travel frequently, so I don't need a second charging cable and I paid only $20 for my stand so it was a good deal

niijonodhg

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
United Kingdom
I actually just got this one this weekend and love it. Had a little issue getting the cable right so it wouldn't pop out but once I did then haven't had an issue. Doesn't take much space and makes it much simper to get the watch on the charger instead of laying it down and having to worry about the cable being flipped over.

Completely agree mate, can't see any reason to go buy anything more expensive. Ordered another one the other day as a stocking filler for my Mum/Dad for Christmas! :)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
So sorry for any confusion. It's currently out of stock and due to a back-order situation with Watch charging discs we are currently on a production hold. Because we most likely won't have more until mid-2017 we have pulled it down from the site for the time being. Thanks.

Interesting. Apple (or their supplier) won't be able to supply such discs for six months?

Is there anyone actually running the MfAW program?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.