Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
What a good portion of people here don't understand is that Samsung is good for us consumers. Being actual competition to Apple greatly benefits you and me. Why many of you are asking for less competition in the smartphone arena is beyond me.

I read all the posts prior to yours a couple times to make sure, and still couldn't find it... which post/user said anything about wanting less competition in the smatphone market?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Aye - the fact that global shipments declined yoy BEFORE the larger iPhone has been released really doesn't bode well for them.....

On the one hand, they're being squeezed by low-margin OEMs in their home region and on the other hand Apple is finally releasing a competitor in the large-display market.

Really not a good time for Samsung.

What portion of their sales were from users who left iOS because they wanted a larger screen device? And how many of them will come back because Samsung has nothing "sticky" to keep those customers?

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Very true. It just goes to show how little a lot of 'Apple are doomed' pundits really are; time and time again, Apple prove them wrong. And although it's naive to say Apple won't ever run into any problems, I'd like to think they're certainly smarter than relying on only one supplier for everything, without having any other ideas in the pipeline.

Most of them are paid trolls...

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Anybody else enjoying this recent downfall of Samsung? Missing earnings estimates, being knocked off the top in China by Xiaomi, and now this. Karma!

To be clear, I don't wish Samsung to go out of business. They do a good job making certain hardware components like displays and SSDs. I just want them to be put in their place for all of their shameless copying. Punishment to fit the crime. Now continue along like a good little OEM.

You've got to be kidding me with this fanboy BS. You don't enjoy competition that clearly benefits the consumer? Apple doesn't "borrow" ideas from competition? (I mean this is one of the exact reasons so many Android fans despise Apple as a company, the perception of copying others). When you marvel at your new "large" iPhone you can thank Samsung for making it mainstream.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
monopolies are good (for their shareholders) which is what apple would have been were it not for samsung over the past 4 years. fortunately apple doesn't need to be one to succeed and they are proving this out now by continuing to be competitive even on top. most companies would have relaxed their way to the bottom by now.

You do realize that at no time since Apple has been in the smartphone business have they been the number 1 smartphone OEM in the world.

There was no monopoly. There never was a danger of a monopoly. Apple doesn't cater to a large enough variety of people for them to ever hold on to a huge chunk of marketshare.

The whole idea that Samsung somehow saved us as consumers really cracks me up and speaks to how strong their marketing has been over the last 4 years. They really have people believing they are the knight in shining armor come to save us from the small, white boxes evil Apple tries to put us in.

The reality is, Samsung has tried to be the Apple of Android. They've copied and manipulated their way to the top of the Android heap effectively squeezing the life out of any competitors they have (look at where HTC is now...the One M7 and M8 are fantastic phones, but their marketing just couldn't keep up).

Up to this point, Samsung had succeeded - at least in the short term - in becoming the Apple of the Android space. But it would seem that reign is about to end as it doesn't seem they've been able to create and foster genuine brand loyalty. If they thought last quarter was bad - just wait until they get a load of a quarter with competition in the "large display" market.

Samsung's one innovation (in the mobile space), in my mind, has been the Note series. Bravo. But I hope to see HTC, Sony, LG etc pounce while they can. Android shouldn't be dominated by any one OEM.

----------

You've got to be kidding me with this fanboy BS. You don't enjoy competition that clearly benefits the consumer? Apple doesn't "borrow" ideas from competition? (I mean this is one of the exact reasons so many Android fans despise Apple as a company, the perception of copying others). When you marvel at your new "large" iPhone you can thank Samsung for making it mainstream.

Please see above. Samsung and Apple aren't competitors if you look at marketshare and sales numbers. Samsung sells twice the number of smartphones Apple does.

Samsung has squeezed the Android market and held it hostage for the last 4 years. I, for one, am excited to see companies like HTC, LG and Sony who don't need to be in Apple's manufacturing process to "innovate" new ideas.

I'm all for more competition. A weaker Samsung makes that happen.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Apple is a big buyer, but they're still only about 10% of TSMC's chip business, and less than that overall for Samsung chips overall (but bigger for APs). Samsung's memory chip sales are up, but their AP (application processor) sales are down. I think the latter is a combination of Apple switching some sourcing to TSMC as the article said, along with competition from other cpu makers like Qualcomm.

The shift is qualitative: Samsung's parts are shifting from being an exclusive source to being a commodity. Margins will always be tougher on commodity parts -- like memory. Now, Samsung's processor-manufacturing capability is becoming a commodity.

Moreover, Taiwan based MediaTek came up with their own combination AP / cell phone chips, that are being used by Chinese, Indian and other smartphone makers. (That's why even mom & pop operations can now build a cell phone.)

Exactly. It's a commodity. Samsung's OS is a commodity, and they have delayed indefinitely a transition to their proprietary OS Tizen. Samsung is painted into a corner of OSs -- they can't afford to stay with Android, and they can't afford to stay with Android, either.

One other little news item I haven't seen covered by MR: Samsung has dropped their royalty payments to Microsoft, and Microsoft has now sued them. I can't imagine how this lawsuit will go well for Samsung.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What portion of their sales were from users who left iOS because they wanted a larger screen device? And how many of them will come back because Samsung has nothing "sticky" to keep those customers?

We'll see come September/October.

Varying reports say Apple is readying anywhere from 80-100 million iPhones for the end of 2014. They don't usually miss on estimates....my guess is, if they're building that many its because they think they'll sell that many.

Holy mother of....if they do.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014

Why are you in denial that Samsung stole, got caught stealing, was found guilty of stealing and owes apple almost a billion dollars for stealing?

I don't get why so many just completely ignore this when talking about Samsung and try to say apple steals too.

I'm surprised you didn't throw out the "great artists steal" for good measure

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Why are you in denial that Samsung stole, got caught stealing, was found guilty of stealing and owes apple almost a billion dollars for stealing?

I don't get why so many just completely ignore this when talking about Samsung and try to say apple steals too.

I'm surprised you didn't throw out the "great artists steal" for good measure

Samsung's marketing department really has done an outstanding job.

They have everyone believing they are the anti-Apple, all while promoting bashing Apple for doing the same things Samsung is now doing.

Its unreal to be honest....and they call iFans "sheep".

Wildblood

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012

So you think a bigger screen is an invention like "slide to unlock"? I'd say it's just marketing for something you can't do. Because if they only had one phone like iPhone they would be so far off that no one would even hear the name samsung mobile. Samsung can only compete because they have like 6-7 phones.

Anyway Apple can take of itself. I'm just happy for Sharp. They were kicked out of business because of Samsung. Copied and appealed and finally settled when Sharp has lost everything. Sharp is a direct competitor of Samsung in the display business. They are both very good

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Anybody else enjoying this recent downfall of Samsung? Missing earnings estimates, being knocked off the top in China by Xiaomi, and now this. Karma!

To be clear, I don't wish Samsung to go out of business. They do a good job making certain hardware components like displays and SSDs. I just want them to be put in their place for all of their shameless copying. Punishment to fit the crime. Now continue along like a good little OEM.

Exactly. Worst for me they still finding money to discriminate an unannounced iPhone 6 in their latest apple bashing commercials.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
[/COLOR]

Please see above. Samsung and Apple aren't competitors if you look at marketshare and sales numbers. Samsung sells twice the number of smartphones Apple does.

Samsung has squeezed the Android market and held it hostage for the last 4 years. I, for one, am excited to see companies like HTC, LG and Sony who don't need to be in Apple's manufacturing process to "innovate" new ideas.

I'm all for more competition. A weaker Samsung makes that happen.

They are competitors. Apple would prefer you buy an iPhone, Samsung would prefer you buy a Samsung smartphone. Quit overthinking it. Regardless of their methods, Samsung helped Android become the largest marketshare OS, and also helped to make large phones mainstream. Because of this, we will now be getting a larger iPhone. I for one am happy for this, and hope the competition continues to keep Apple on their toes because I still prefer the Apple ecosystem.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
This is the beginning of the end for Samsung (not really).

But seriously, once Apple releases those big screen iPhones and iOS 8, they're going to take a big bite out of their market share.

I doubt it. Apple already owns the high end. Samsung (and Android's) market share is made up mostly of mid range to low end cheap devices. Devices like the Galaxy S4/S5 never sold nearly as well as the iPhone 5/5S so there isn't much more market share there for Apple to gain.

However, the Galaxy devices do make up a significant percentage of their actual profits so they will definitely feel it there. And that's where it matters most anyway.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
They are competitors. Apple would prefer you buy an iPhone, Samsung would prefer you buy a Samsung smartphone. Quit overthinking it. Regardless of their methods, Samsung helped Android become the largest marketshare OS, and also helped to make large phones mainstream. Because of this, we will now be getting a larger iPhone. I for one am happy for this, and hope the competition continues to keep Apple on their toes because I still prefer the Apple ecosystem.

I'm not overthinking anything. Samsung simply took over Android marketshare - which was still gaining vast amounts of marketshare in 2011, before Samsung really took off.

Samsung didn't really explode as a smartphone OEM until the GS2/3. So see - despite what Samsung has drilled into your brains, they didn't save the world from Apple, they didn't make Android what it is today.

They exploited relationships and partnerships and copied their way to the top with the help of very clever and pervasive marketing. All the while not really building any lasting brand loyalty.

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
They bit the hand that fed them. Actually, they gnarled on it until it was a bloody stump. So, in the immortal words of Nelson, "Ha-Ha!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

With comments of this type being so prevalent on Apple forums it is easy to see how ethnic Russians in Ukraine and Palestinians in Gaza can participate in overt violence. The number of posters who rally around Apple like it is their homeland, ethnicity or religion is astounding. The theme seems to be "the enemy of Apple is my enemy", and all because that person owns an iPad!

I mean, really, Samsung is both a competitor and supplier to Apple. What well-balanced individual really gives a rat's behind whose fab built the Ax processor in their telephone?

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
With comments of this type being so prevalent on Apple forums it is easy to see how ethnic Russians in Ukraine and Palestinians in Gaza can participate in overt violence. The number of posters who rally around Apple like it is their homeland, ethnicity or religion is astounding. The theme seems to be "the enemy of Apple is my enemy", and all because that person owns an iPad!

I mean, really, Samsung is both a competitor and supplier to Apple. What well-balanced individual really gives a rat's behind whose fab built the Ax processor in their telephone?

I think its just a lack of respect for Samsung. They're blatant thieves, they insult users of other phones not just apple, and they make creepy nonsensical commercials.

It's great to have competition and that's what lg and htc are doing. Samsung's ship has sailed, its time to accept that.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Except for the fact that we're talking about smartphone operating systems.....

While the conflicts you named are ages old and rooted in deep ideological and religious beliefs - specifically the Israeli/Palestinian conflict which has waged since the time of Abraham (thousands of years).

But that's neither here nor there. Keep the PRSI stuff out.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Samsung's marketing department really has done an outstanding job.

They have everyone believing they are the anti-Apple, all while promoting bashing Apple for doing the same things Samsung is now doing.

Its unreal to be honest....and they call iFans "sheep".

Yeah I've always said Samsung users have become the people they say they are not. The icing on the cake was when people started lining up for the s5.

Nary a peep was heard about that from the same people who high fived each other when Samsung made fun of apple users for doing that.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yeah I've always said Samsung users have become the people they say they are not. The icing on the cake was when people started lining up for the s5.

Nary a peep was heard about that from the same people who high fived each other when Samsung made fun of apple users for doing that.

Yup - honestly, its incredibly impressive just how completely Samsung has been able to convince people of this image that is the exact opposite of reality.

Perhaps if HTC could've spent the billions on marketing Samsung did, they might still be the dominant Android player rather than an almost extinct after thought.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Yup - honestly, its incredibly impressive just how completely Samsung has been able to convince people of this image that is the exact opposite of reality.

Perhaps if HTC could've spent the billions on marketing Samsung did, they might still be the dominant Android player rather than an almost extinct after thought.

I know. Htc always has decent phones and the m7/8 are top of the line. Money makes the world notice you, and Samsung definitely had plenty of that to spend. Should have used it on r&d instead of apple bashing and gimmicks though

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014

If wasn't so bad before.. It has become this bad in the last few years since the Samsung paid trolls have infested every decent forum spewing **** and stirring up a *****torm... Abusing and annoying every forum member till they started giving back the same...

And now everyone goes like "OMG...!! These apple users are blind iSheep... They can't hear a word against Apple"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.