Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
They bit the hand that fed them. Actually, they gnarled on it until it was a bloody stump. So, in the immortal words of Nelson, "Ha-Ha!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

They should have really shut up with the snarky anti-iPhone commercials... As SAMSUNG Chip fans were getting ALL of the CPU, RAM, and FLASH sales from iPhones for YEARS. Like $3 BILLION of iPhone sales per year went straight to Samsung's pocket for parts.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
While the conflicts you named are ages old and rooted in deep ideological and religious beliefs - specifically the Israeli/Palestinian conflict which has waged since the time of Abraham (thousands of years).

Hah! Your assertion that the Israeli/Palestinian is "thousands of years" old is off a bit-- by thousands of years. It's just about 100 years old. Moreover, it is based on conflicts over land and has no roots in religious beliefs.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Shhhhh. You are using Logic. Samsung lover!:mad:

She's not a Samsung lover. She's an Apple user hater.

And that wasn't logic. Just seems to fit since you agree with her.

----------

1. Samsung does nothing but manufacture less than 10% of the components of an iPhone and most of those are using the designs Apple created. There is nothing higher quality about Samsung's components.
Unfortunately, that is not exactly true. At least for the iPad, Samsung did make higher quality components, namely the display, than other OEM competitors. This is probably what people are referring to when they say such things. LG and Sharp both fell down in this area.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Feel bad for Samsung? You mean the Korean conglomerate that makes everything from cell phones to construction machines to refrigerators? Um, nah, I think there are more worthwhile things to feel bad about.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
They should have really shut up with the snarky anti-iPhone commercials...

Anti-iPhone would have been fine. What they mostly did was anti-iPhone-user. To me, that's a road you should never go down, those are the consumers you are trying to woo.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Whilst I know, and can understand at some level the hatred shown towards Samsung by people who are very fond of Apple.

Please do not forget 2 very VERY important points.

1: Without Samsung the iPhone would not be anything like as good as it is now from a component quality standpoint.

2: Without people like Samsung PUSHING HARD to get their own customers, raising people's expectations, Apple would have little reason to push for large improvements in their own models.

Please don't be naive enough to think that any company such as Apple would try as hard as they can year on year to win customers without any competition from other manufacturers.

So as much as you may on the surface Hate Samsung. Remember in both ways Apple and the iPhone would be nothing and/or no where near as good without them.

It amazes me that people can write off what apple did for smartphones by saying "the industry was moving in that direction anyway" but then act as if Samsung hadn't had big screens we'd be using 3.5 inch screens till the end of time.

----------

Anti-iPhone would have been fine. What they mostly did was anti-iPhone-user. To me, that's a road you should never go down, those are the consumers you are trying to woo.

There are some here that say they weren't trying to convert users of other phones, just the fence sitters who hadn't decided yet.

10 billion on marketing just for fence sitters? Doubtful. Samsung just had the stupidest marketing department known to man.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Reminds me of a scene from a StarWars Episode 3 parody from years ago.

"Where is PowerPC?"
"You killed her."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Except of course, this time it's Samsung, and I don't think anyone other their investors are going to mind.

Edit: Here's an article mentioning the video but I haven't found the video itself yet...
http://insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5713

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Samsung are really awesome at making quality components — e.g. their SSDs are among the best (if not the best), their screens/displays are almost always superior and afaik their ability to manufacture processors is also top notch.

Apple (and its customers) have enjoyed Samsung's manufacturing skills for a long time. While diversification in Apples supply chain is wise for a number of reasons, I hope Samsung is not dumped as a supplier as long as they are among the best at what they do. (Not that they don't deserve to be dumped for various other reasons).

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I can't imagine that Samsung would plan on being a sole provider forever, they had to have a backup plan. Don't want to end up obsolete like Intel. :eek:

Their plan was to sell their chips in their phones. It doesn't seem that's working out very well for them (profit wise).

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Diversifying their supply chain is just good business. But I think we can all agree that there's an element of "if you're selling so many Galaxy's, this shouldn't be a problem, right?" in there as well. Is Apple showboating a little with moves like this? Probably. And they'd be crazy not to, I think. :)

There appears to be some Samsung self-inflicted damage here, in addition to Apple retaliation.

Samsung was supposed to be getting into the "ARM cores for servers" business but (for reasons that have still not been made public) that project was abruptly cancelled two months ago. One can imagine any number of scenarios for what could have gone wrong (they based the design on 32-bit ARM, they included stolen IP and got caught, they looked at the upcoming competition in this space, starting with AMD and concluded they had no chance), but while the precise details are interesting, the larger point is the big one: they seem to do a good job as a fab, but a lousy job as a design house. (Essentially the same story as with their phones, where the HW is adequate to good, the SW rather less impressive).

Samsung COULD admit their limitations in this area and return to being just a (high quality) fab. But of course one of the essential characteristics of being a fab for outsiders is that they trust you...

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
Samsung are realy great at tv manufacturing but I also think there also spending money uselessly. They were at a farming show around here (Royal Welsh) which it is mostly farmers and people in livestock taking a pitch which a simular sized pich costs around £12,000. - problem is they wernt trying to sell anything farming but a £30,000 4K TV - I cannot see anyone there even thinking of buying one - if they stopped wasting money by going to pointess events for them ( like farming shows) that may also help them!

Perhaps it is future market research rather than actually trying to sell. Next up, a samsung combine.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Reading through the MS complaint, it looks like Samsung was paying MS royalties, and Nokia was paying Samsung royalties.

You missed the essential point: rather than re-negotiating with Microsoft, Samsung just stopped making payments.

Then, after MS bought Nokia, the Nokia to Samsung royalties stopped, because MS claims that Nokia phones are now covered under previous Samsung-Microsoft cross licenses.

Is there some reason you failed to provide a source for this claim?

Samsung claims that's a breach of contract, and they're not paying until it all gets figured out.

Samsung had an agreement with Microsoft to pay royalties on smartphones they sold. It appears that Samsung is trying to entangle this agreement with prior agreements that Samsung-Nokia had with each other -- and they are doing this in an ad hoc manner. If Samsung had a disagreement with Microsoft about royalties they should be paying (or receiving) on sales of Nokia phones, they should negotiate that with Microsoft. Simply dropping all payments they are making to Microsoft -- with no agreement -- is a FAIL.

"Getting it all figured out" is a code-word for avoiding the royalties that they agreed to pay Microsoft.

If you have some legal sources that claims this is appropriate behavior by Samsung, please quote them.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You've got to be kidding me with this fanboy BS. You don't enjoy competition that clearly benefits the consumer? Apple doesn't "borrow" ideas from competition? (I mean this is one of the exact reasons so many Android fans despise Apple as a company, the perception of copying others). When you marvel at your new "large" iPhone you can thank Samsung for making it mainstream.

LOL somebody is butt-hurt. Competition is good. How is making replicas good competition? If they brought something new to the table, then yes. The only innovation happening on a Samsung device is whatever Google puts into the latest build of Android. Everybody makes fun of the crappy Samsung bloatware. I still think people using giant phones look ridiculous. I kid you freaking not, while typing this post a lady walking by in the hallway just dropped her Note on the ground right outside my door. I cringe when I hear electronics hitting the floor. Maybe too big to handle? I'm not sure how making a larger but crappier version of the iPhone with a stylus can be considered some revolutionary idea. It's like saying Apple stole the idea for the 11.6" MBA from Sony when they had their tiny VAIOs first. And for the record, if you look back at posts I made a few years ago when the 4" was rumored, I wanted something closer to 4.5". But if I were in charge of Apple, I'd still sell a 3.5" model. My wife really misses hers when she got an iPhone 5. Just from talking to her and her friends it seems like there is a big market for smaller smartphones. For me 4.7" is close enough for comfort and the photos show that it's not much bigger. Also for the record, the reason Samsung came out with giant phones was because their battery life used to be terrible. They wanted to add in first-gen LTE chips that sucked batteries dry, and didn't optimize any of the power savings software like Apple does. They quickly found out that larger phones can have larger batteries, and it gave them a small point of differentiation against Apple. They happened upon larger screens by luck more than anything else, and without Android nobody would care about them at all.

I think 5.5" is crazy big, and I hope Apple doesn't bring it out just to spite Android users. We don't want you switching sides anyway. Some of the rudest people I've seen on the Internet. Never once have I ever gone on an Android forum and blasted around comments nastly like you people do. I'm on an Apple site for Apple fans. If that makes me a fanboy, then kiss my shiny aluminum chamfered ass.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to NewEgg where I'm parting out and budgeting for my potential custom-built PC gaming rig, one part of which I'm considering is the Samsung UD590 which is a 4K monitor. Then I might direct my Firefox browser to Canon Rumors to see what's going on with the 5DmkIV and 7DmkII, and then YouTube to make sure my latest video was posted of my Xbox One gameplay captured using an Elgato, edited using Adobe Premiere with audio commentary recorded on Audio Technica equipment and edited in Adobe Audition. Then I'll go off my lunch break back to work on my 27" iMac, where I'll answer some emails using Outlook and finish up some responsive design comps in Illustrator. Then I'll hand-code our August newsletter using Coda 2 and work on some php bug fixes for the redesign of our WordPress-based website which runs on a Linux server using open-source software. On the way home I'll stream music in my car using Rdio because iTunes radio just isn't very good yet. When I get home I might take some photos of my baby girl using my Sony camera because it takes way better photos than the iPhone. Then this evening I might play some Mario Kart with my wife, or play some modded Minecraft using my Razer keyboard and mouse and Turtle Beach headset. Tonight before bed I might read a bit on our Kindle. But yeah I'm the most extreme fanboy, only Apple stuff is good don't you know? Get off your high horse. Samsung was convicted in court of copying Apple. It isn't some matter of opinion. They've done it with many other companies too. They get what they deserve. What's really hilarious is they're now getting out-copied in China. What goes around ALWAYS comes around. Remember that and you'll do well in life.

TL;DR: 5.5" is still dumb, Samsung didn't invent phone sizes, I use lots of non-Apple products. I'm on an Apple site for Apple fans. If that makes me a fanboy, then kiss my shiny aluminum chamfered ass.

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
What a good portion of people here don't understand is that Samsung is good for us consumers. Being actual competition to Apple greatly benefits you and me. Why many of you are asking for less competition in the smartphone arena is beyond me.

Apples always make good products regardless of Samsung.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
As for size direction, I would not be a bit surprised if Apple's original plans were to have gone smaller. Remember how everyone was clamoring for an iPhone nano back then? :)

There still is a market segment that prefers and would buy a smaller iOS phone. But the market for profitable phablets seems to be growing significantly faster. Maybe that fad goes with this teen fashion trend for tent-like baggy pants.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I welcome competition, just not the kind of competition Samsung provides - the kind that actually stifles creativity and innovation by copying it all and leveraging their assets and location to undercut their competition. They're the kings of the race to the bottom crowd, f that.

Two big competitors is not the type of competition any market needs either.

Let's illustrate competition and innovation. Apple competed against Blackberry, Windows CE, and flip phones and created something very different and great. That's proper competition.

Samsungs blatant copying of Apple is not really the same competition. Its theft. Nowhere near as valuable to the consumer.

What's helped Samsung as much as anything else is that Googles's made Android a decent OS. Compare 4.4 to 1.6 and you'll see a world of difference.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Samsung COULD admit their limitations in this area and return to being just a (high quality) fab. But of course one of the essential characteristics of being a fab for outsiders is that they trust you...

Absolutely agree with your whole post, but this last statement reveals what I think is a huge component in this decline. More and more of the world is realizing that they can't trust Samsung, either as a partner, supplier, or even from a consumer point of view. And since trust needs to be earned, it could take them a while to turn these trends around.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
TL;DR: 5.5" is still dumb, Samsung didn't invent phone sizes, I use lots of non-Apple products. I'm on an Apple site for Apple fans. If that makes me a fanboy, then kiss my shiny aluminum chamfered ass.

You are correct, it WAS too long to bother reading. I too enjoy Apple products, but can recognize that Samsung has made them strive for better. Samsung didn't invent phone sizes the same way Apple didn't invent the smart phone. But guess what? They made large phones mainstream, the same way Apple made the smartphone mainstream. When you grow up a bit you'll realize it's just a piece of electronics, and even your precious Apple is in this for no other reason than to take your money. Quit taking it so seriously. Go spend your response time researching stocks instead of writing a novel on a message board.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
serves them right
they deserve to go so far down that the only market share they dominate becomes cheap calculators

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You are correct, it WAS too long to bother reading. I too enjoy Apple products, but can recognize that Samsung has made them strive for better. Samsung didn't invent phone sizes the same way Apple didn't invent the smart phone. But guess what? They made large phones mainstream, the same way Apple made the smartphone mainstream. When you grow up a bit you'll realize it's just a piece of electronics, and even your precious Apple is in this for no other reason than to take your money. Quit taking it so seriously. Go spend your response time researching stocks instead of writing a novel on a message board.

I guess you can continue ignoring facts if you want - at the time that HTC was the largest Android OEM in the world, they were producing 4.3" and 4.7" devices. THEY began the display size push....not Samsung.

Samsung simply followed suit and then marketed the crap out of their devices. And they've continued the trend that was started by others by increasing the size a few tenths of an inch every year (just as every other Android OEM did and does).

The difference between attributing the smartphone boom to Apple versus the large displays to Samsung is that smartphones were not ubiquitous before Apple. HTC was the NUMBER ONE ANDROID OEM IN THE WORLD. And Android had quickly surpassed iOS as the top OS in terms of marketshare at the time.

The ONLY difference - as Samsung threw billions of dollars into marketing their devices, HTC couldn't keep up and lost in popularity. Samsung is now what HTC was 4 years ago. The top Android dog with dozens if not hundreds of variants and flagships.

Samsung hasn't pushed Apple any more than any other Android OEM. They're simply more prominent in the consumer's mind because of marketing.

You can credit the phablet group to Samsung. It would seem Apple will be following suit there and LG is slated to release a G3 with stylus. But as far as "making Apple better"....that's a load of crock. Android would've been just fine without them as Google has pushed stock Android to much better places than Samsung has taken TouchWiz. In fact, if it weren't for Samsung there wouldn't be hundreds of millions of slow Android devices out there bogged down by skins. TouchWiz gives every other Android skin out there a bad name....

kdarling

macrumors P6
You missed the essential point: rather than re-negotiating with Microsoft, Samsung just stopped making payments.

That's what I said.

Is there some reason you failed to provide a source for this claim?

Okay, now you're just being lazy :)

I referenced the MS complaint. Which is linked to by your link.

If you have some legal sources that claims this is appropriate behavior by Samsung, please quote them.

No one said if it was appropriate behavior or not. But even the article you linked to, noted that Microsoft sees it as something that can be worked out.

Royalty disagreements are not uncommon with phone makers. Heck, how much has Apple paid Motorola for using their IP for seven years? Apparently nothing yet, since Apple claims Moto wants too much, and the appropriate amount hasn't been settled yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.