Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickedrm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2021
Not sure how much gain by this scenario. You still get credits but if 12pro not getting used it’s just losing value till the end then how much worth. If looking at next year, probably getting close to even. So just payoff and sell, trade or whatever.
Why would you pay it off if you’re getting credits on the phone? Sell the phone while still receiving credits is the way to go if allowed, which could be possible.

Reactions: hbenitez09

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Frankly, I can’t, but it’s a bit of ammunition if they stop my credits. I can say “on Sept 35, 2021 one of your customer service representatives told me my credits would continue”.

True

Sept 35th though, huh? :p

--

also fwiw I just asked reps at the AT&T corporate store locally if I could put it in a drawer and upgrade to new device (out of pocket buy it unlocked I mean) and still get credits and they said yeah.

Not really tempted by 13, but something I will consider next year if I dont feel like paying the remaining 6 months out of pocket and trading it in right away

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckyDuck

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
True

Sept 35th though, huh? :p

--

also fwiw I just asked reps at the AT&T corporate store locally if I could put it in a drawer and upgrade and still get credits and they said yeah.

Not really tempted by 13, but something I will consider next year if I dont feel like paying the remaining 6 months out of pocket and trading it in right away
25th.

By upgrade you mean pay out of pocket without a subsidy, right? Because you wouldn’t be eligible for a subsidized upgrade until your 30-something months are complete.

Reactions: thadoggfather

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Why would you pay it off if you’re getting credits on the phone? Sell the phone while still receiving credits is the way to go if allowed, which could be possible.
Not sure how much gain by this scenario. You still get credits but if 12pro not getting used it’s just losing value till the end then how much worth. If looking at next year, probably getting close to even. So just payoff and sell, trade or whatever.
The iPhone 12 Pro was free to me after a trade in, so what I would gain from this scenario is being able to use a more modern phone and eventually being able to sell the iPhone 12 Pro for some value when the credits are complete. The alternative is use the 12 Pro for the full three years, which I don’t want to do. There is no point in paying off the remaining balance for something that was free to me and collects monthly credits.

Reactions: MuckyDuck

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
25th.

By upgrade you mean pay out of pocket without a subsidy, right? Because you wouldn’t be eligible for a subsidized upgrade until your 30-something months are complete.
Yeah

sorry with mixed terminology yeah upgrade = out of pocket “upgrade” from 12 to 13

I’ll edit post

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Upgrading from an IP X and purchased the 13P full retail price. Has anyone been able to switch to installments and use the trade in offer for the X now even after buying the new phone outright thru ATT? (It would seem they should be able to do that to lock you in without the hassle of return/rebuy etc).

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Upgrading from an IP X and purchased the 13P full retail price. Has anyone been able to switch to installments and use the trade in offer for the X now even after buying the new phone outright thru ATT? (It would seem they should be able to do that to lock you in without the hassle of return/rebuy etc).
I believe you would have to return your device as I think you need to tell AT&T in the purchase path that you want to use their monthly payment plan. Not an expert but I believe this is true.

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
I’m in a similar situation. I am not sure I want to continue with this AT&T “huge credit enticing upgrade” where they would get me 1,000 credit from trading in my iPhone 12. I did this a while back with an iPhone SE and traded it in, then after I paid off the phone I had traded up to, the credits stopped… Even though I paid off their phone. It’s a sneaky way of them keeping you or then screwing you.

That being said, my plan is to purchase the IP13PMax from apple direct, looking for one to pop in my local store via app. and trade in my 12 for 530.00 in store. That would put me at 23/month with a 2 year payment plan and no commitment. Whereas ATT wants my phone, charges me 2.78/month for the IP13Pm 128GB but ensures I stay with it for 36 months, by then my 13PM would lose more value.

Do I need to pay off the iphone 12 first On ATT? I see on Apple Store it allows me to purchase the iphone via citizens/apple card and gives me a heads up that I can purchase the phone with the trade in credit but will need to pay the 538.00 left on my phone to AT&T anyway. Can I turn in the phone at apple and then do the paying off? Thought is, if I don’t find one etc. or change my mind, I rather get the monthly credits if not…

Sorry for lengthy ?

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
I believe you would have to return your device as I think you need to tell AT&T in the purchase path that you want to use their monthly payment plan. Not an expert but I believe this is true.
Thanks! An hour later after talking to three reps, still don’t have a direct answer but it sounds like you do have to declare trade in from the outset. At this point, I’m not interested in a restocking fee/return/rebuy. But you think ATT could make it simpler if they wanted to.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks! An hour later after talking to three reps, still don’t have a direct answer but it sounds like you do have to declare trade in from the outset. At this point, I’m not interested in a restocking fee/return/rebuy. But you think ATT could make it simpler if they wanted to.
Sadly, nothing is simple with AT&T

Reactions: trek360

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I’m in a similar situation. I am not sure I want to continue with this AT&T “huge credit enticing upgrade” where they would get me 1,000 credit from trading in my iPhone 12. I did this a while back with an iPhone SE and traded it in, then after I paid off the phone I had traded up to, the credits stopped… Even though I paid off their phone. It’s a sneaky way of them keeping you or then screwing you.

That being said, my plan is to purchase the IP13PMax from apple direct, looking for one to pop in my local store via app. and trade in my 12 for 530.00 in store. That would put me at 23/month with a 2 year payment plan and no commitment. Whereas ATT wants my phone, charges me 2.78/month for the IP13Pm 128GB but ensures I stay with it for 36 months, by then my 13PM would lose more value.

Do I need to pay off the iphone 12 first On ATT? I see on Apple Store it allows me to purchase the iphone via citizens/apple card and gives me a heads up that I can purchase the phone with the trade in credit but will need to pay the 538.00 left on my phone to AT&T anyway. Can I turn in the phone at apple and then do the paying off? Thought is, if I don’t find one etc. or change my mind, I rather get the monthly credits if not…

Sorry for lengthy ?
Would need to pay off first because locked.

michlc88

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Would need to pay off first because locked.
I asked one of the Apple Store employees if they will accept an iPhone that is financed for trade in and they claim they do, so you might be able to still trade it in and keep the bill credits on the line. I'm kind of in the same situation and might try it, will update this thread if I do.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I asked one of the Apple Store employees if they will accept an iPhone that is financed for trade in and they claim they do, so you might be able to still trade it in and keep the bill credits on the line. I'm kind of in the same situation and might try it, will update this thread if I do.
Hopefully it would work out. Did you tell them ATT financed device? ATT is only one that locks and all others don’t and can easily trade in. I am not sure if they check IMEI when someone trades in or later, or what would happen way after that fact.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think they’ll take it and offer the same price as if it were unlocked

the question that remains is do the credits continue haha

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Problem with ATT, Apple and many companies is that they won’t honor what their employees said to do. So we do what they say or make a decision based on what they said and it’s too bad for us if they were wrong.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Problem with ATT, Apple and many companies is that they won’t honor what their employees said to do. So we do what they say or make a decision based on what they said and it’s too bad for us if they were wrong.

exactly once credits are pulled im not sure they can be re-instated, if they are pulled.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
My iPhone X trade just cleared apple at full value, but the email only says 700 now. Guess I’ll need to call…

michlc88

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
just an update on my situation, I ended up trading in the ATT financed 12 pro to the Apple Store for credit, no questions asked. So they seem not to care if it is financed or not. I asked them a few days earlier if it mattered that the device was financed through ATT and they said no. This was just for a trade in for credit toward a new phone not any offer through ATT. I'm sure anything through ATT would not be as successful. Also, I had a new bill generate yesterday through ATT and the bill credit is still on there for that phone/line.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
just an update on my situation, I ended up trading in the ATT financed 12 pro to the Apple Store for credit, no questions asked. So they seem not to care if it is financed or not. I asked them a few days earlier if it mattered that the device was financed through ATT and they said no. This was just for a trade in for credit toward a new phone not any offer through ATT. I'm sure anything through ATT would not be as successful. Also, I had a new bill generate yesterday through ATT and the bill credit is still on there for that phone/line.
So in essence you are now paying apple say $6 after trade for the new phone and your att payment that has the credits on it?

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
My iPhone X trade just cleared apple at full value, but the email only says 700 now. Guess I’ll need to call…
Did you contact Apple? I am in a similar situation that when I ordered the iPhone it was $700 but AT&T updated the trade-in to $800. Apple received my X and sent me an email saying the trade-in is complete but the amount in the email is still $700.

I called AT&T today since I received my new bill and the CSR does not see anything in their system that says I traded in an iPhone for the credits.

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Did you contact Apple? I am in a similar situation that when I ordered the iPhone it was $700 but AT&T updated the trade-in to $800. Apple received my X and sent me an email saying the trade-in is complete but the amount in the email is still $700.

I called AT&T today since I received my new bill and the CSR does not see anything in their system that says I traded in an iPhone for the credits.
Has anyone that traded their phone into Apple for the AT&T promotion/credits actually received any information from AT&T? I got my confirmation from Apple about a week ago that my trade was received, but nothing from AT&T.

Reactions: mikeb13

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Has anyone that traded their phone into Apple for the AT&T promotion/credits actually received any information from AT&T? I got my confirmation from Apple about a week ago that my trade was received, but nothing from AT&T.
When I did this with my 12 Pro you had to trade in directly with AT&T. I bought my phone at Apple, but traded my 11 Pro in to AT&T to get the bill credits.

Edit - Apple website says you trade in directly with Apple to get the credits

AT&T Special Trade-in Deal
To get the deal, you will trade in directly with Apple online or in the store.

Reactions: rxtiger

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I talked to ATT today and the CSR knew nothing about Apple receiving the iphones and processing the trade-in requests. I called Apple and the CSR said I completed everything correctly to get the credits and that I would get the $800. He said it could take up to 3 billings cycles and I just completed 1, so it could take 2 more months.

I have a feeling that a lot of us will be in the same situation. It seems ATT has no clue that Apple is handling the trade-ins this year. I just hope we all get the credits on our bills.

Reactions: rxtiger

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005

Apple’s email revising the trade in value up from $700 to $800 claimed that we need not take further action after our trade in was accepted and that the value would be automatically adjusted. Even so, my trade in confirmation email said it was accepted at $700. After reading the posts here (ie, apple and att having no clue about this), probably makes most sense to wait until the credits begin applying and contact someone if the values are not automatically adjusted.

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I guess it will be a wait and see situation. One billing cycle down, hopefully there will at least be some acknowledgment of the trade to Apple soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.