Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Just received this text from ATT:

AT&T Free Msg: Great news! Your device promotional credits are now being applied! To maintain eligibility and keep your credits going, be sure to keep a required unlimited plan, maintain your installment agreement, stay active & in good standing. If service is cancelled, device balances are due!

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010

AT&T Free Msg: Great news! Your device promotional credits are now being applied! To maintain eligibility and keep your credits going, be sure to keep a required unlimited plan, maintain your installment agreement, stay active & in good standing. If service is cancelled, device balances are due!
I did as well!

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005

Did they trade in adjust up to $800 automatically?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
People that bought a new phone out of pocket and still get bill credits on the 12 from last year (or mini or max or pro)

did you buy the phone unlocked and pop your SIM in or just the AT&T model @ full price?

Wondering if the phone# and last 4 of SSN input for full price AT&T might throw it off vs. getting an unlocked

I realize either way AT&T can see a new phone is on the line, but I'm wondering if sim free is the safest way to do this if one wanted to keep bill credits rolling

--

also did you bother to try to get activation fee waived for long time AT&T customers?

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I just got my bill for 10/22 and no trade in credits yet. The email from Apple on the trade in success arrived on 10/12, thinking 10 days isn’t enough for it to kick in. I’ll wait for next month before worrying too much.

I haven’t done a trade in a while, will we get however months worth of credit at a time once it kicks in?

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I am on Next Up (I had a 12 Pro Max) and turned it in after paying up to 50% (cost me $200) after they said they would offer $500 on a NEXT UP trade in.

And they did and I see it on my bill. That’s new. My net payment for the 13 PM is lower by almost $15 than I used to pay for the 12 PM with the bill credit. Of course if I want to upgrade next year I’ll have to pay extra which should make it all a wash.

But a wash is good to me, as it essentially makes the Y/Y upgrade free from any additional cost.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I got the $800 trade in a year ago for an iPhone 12 Pro, getting the monthly credits for another 18 months.

Does anyone know, if I change my plan from “unlimited & more premium” to “unlimited elite” will it affect my credits?

Thanks.

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I received my new bill and my trade in credits started. I got 2 credits (1 for the current month and 1 for the previous bill, a catch up credit).

MuckyDuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Can the trade-in eligible device be delivered to an AT&T retail store versus mailing it in? TIA

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Anyone have this bizarre situation where last months bill included the trade in amounts but this months they were missing? Will have to call ATT in the morning

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Did you pay off the installments?
The 800 deal should be monthly credits for 36 Months, usually have to wait 1-2 bills, but weird to get them and then not get them. I’ll post here once I talk to AT&T CS.

But, haven’t paid off the installments, just started with the launchday Iphone 13 pro max

Reactions: Agile55

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
The 800 deal should be monthly credits for 36 Months, usually have to wait 1-2 bills, but weird to get them and then not get them. I’ll post here once I talk to AT&T CS.

But, haven’t paid off the installments, just started with the launchday Iphone 13 pro max
I know. I work for AT&T. I’m just trying to figure out for you why they dropped off because I haven’t seen that happen.

I imagine you called (smart move) did you get resolution? What ended up happening?

Only other thing I’ve seen is credits apply at a different time during the bill cycle than the cut off date. Double check the date the credits hit your account last time. It can be different than last day of bill cycle

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m gonna kiss AT&T’s Heiny for a minute but the $800 trade in for a used iPhone 8 I got for $200 at 12 pro launch has been well worth it in bill credits. For me.

No ‘ragrets’

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I know. I work for AT&T. I’m just trying to figure out for you why they dropped off because I haven’t seen that happen.

I imagine you called (smart move) did you get resolution? What ended up happening?

Only other thing I’ve seen is credits apply at a different time during the bill cycle than the cut off date. Double check the date the credits hit your account last time. It can be different than last day of bill cycle
I got in touch with ATT and in the end the problem was my own. What I didn’t notice was that the credit from last month was in two parts , one that is 2x the monthly credit and another that is the monthly credit(for a total of 3 months credit). Basically they gave me next months credit early so this month I don’t get any. Lesson learned to look at the billing line for line and understanding/knowing how much your monthly credits are. Things are all good. The support representative did say it was odd and that it shouldn’t happen again after next month.

Reactions: Brooke795

smcgrath12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016
Texas, USA
Thanks! An hour later after talking to three reps, still don’t have a direct answer but it sounds like you do have to declare trade in from the outset. At this point, I’m not interested in a restocking fee/return/rebuy. But you think ATT could make it simpler if they wanted to.
Even if a rep tells you that you could do it, I wouldn’t. When it comes to trade in credits with any carrier, you really want to follow the beaten path, not forge new grounds. Being “innovative” is asking for trouble unless it is in the T&Cs.

Reactions: Brooke795

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So anyone who has sim swapped to another device are you still getting credits on your iPhone 12? Or did they stop ?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
So anyone who has sim swapped to another device are you still getting credits on your iPhone 12? Or did they stop ?
I have ESIM, but I moved from an iPhone 12 Pro on credits to an iPhone 13 Pro. Bought the 13 Pro from Apple and did the ESIM transfer from my 12 to the new 13.

I traded in the 12 Pro at Apple for the 13 Pro and paid in full the 13 Pro balance, so I owe nothing on the 13 Pro.

I did this back in Nov '21 and I am still getting my monthly credits on my 12 Pro (from trading in my 11 Pro).

And just to confirm, I am on AT&T

Hope that makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.