Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Wow. For the iPad + SIM or just the SIM's alone?

BJ
Hi,
Like someone said earlier, it's just for the accounts. I sold them and gave the buyers my email logins and passwords. I changed my address and changed my credit card info to an empty VISA gift card I had laying around.

I threw the SIM cards in the trash. They didn't need them so they probably had their own

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I just sold both of mine for $1,600 each. I would sell them if you don't want them anymore.
Recently sold them for $1600?

I might consider selling mine for that price, but I doubt they're still in that much of a demand.

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Well, I just checked the eBay sold listings for iPad unlimited data and I saw a couple sell for $1575 a week ago, but you are right. The price is slowly trending down.

But, even if you sell for $1,300-$1,500, it's still a good deal....unless you bought it a year ago or so.

007shinobi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Does anyone know how to check the data usage for unlimited ipad plan on the account? I only know this can be done via a hotspot.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Idk why anyone would want to buy a grandfathered unlimited data plan for a huge amount of money like $1000+

You're taking a high risk, low reward gamble. There is nothing preventing AT&T from transitioning grandfathered plans to the new ones that are deprioritized after 22gb. And it's a low-reward. If you're using it as a home Internet, chances are you wouldn't be experiencing the effects of deprioritization unless you live in the city.

007shinobi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Idk why anyone would want to buy a grandfathered unlimited data plan for a huge amount of money like $1000+

You're taking a high risk, low reward gamble. There is nothing preventing AT&T from transitioning grandfathered plans to the new ones that are deprioritized after 22gb. And it's a low-reward. If you're using it as a home Internet, chances are you wouldn't be experiencing the effects of deprioritization unless you live in the city.

It would involve modifying legacy code, wouldn't be worth their time. There is also no knowing of what they will do for the ZTE mobley plan either. Of course, it is cheaper to go for the ZTE mobley.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
It would involve modifying legacy code, wouldn't be worth their time.

Aren't plans just a code in their huge SQL database? It would be trivial to make changes.

Before they brought back unlimited, they started to tighten the leash around high data users. They could do that again.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
The amount of these plans in the wild are minuscule its not worth their time to do it. These plans are great for those that don't have good internet available or travel and it works without any limitations whatsoever

Reactions: Brandon86

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Aren't plans just a code in their huge SQL database? It would be trivial to make changes.

Before they brought back unlimited, they started to tighten the leash around high data users. They could do that again.
Not just the time to change the plan they need to spend.
They need to first change ToS, maybe even consult legal on that,
They probably need to consult Apple on this (because this plan was essentially sold by apple with iPads)
They need to issue press statements
They need to train support employees how to answer CS questions/complaints on this.

Also, they will be pretty much breaking the 'grandfathering' tradition in the industry, which is extremely bad for customer loyalty, especially when there's not much 'new customers' now, everyone is fighting to capture others' users while keeping their.
So after all, it's not worth it.

007shinobi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Not just the time to change the plan they need to spend.
They need to first change ToS, maybe even consult legal on that,
They probably need to consult Apple on this (because this plan was essentially sold by apple with iPads)
They need to issue press statements
They need to train support employees how to answer CS questions/complaints on this.

Also, they will be pretty much breaking the 'grandfathering' tradition in the industry, which is extremely bad for customer loyalty, especially when there's not much 'new customers' now, everyone is fighting to capture others' users while keeping their.
So after all, it's not worth it.

Yeah essentially they would need to work with many teams to get this done well. Plus, their solution was to remove the plan from the system and maintain those who are already on it.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Then there is not much of difference between this and regular unlimited data plans for phones.

I don't think you need a Cell plan to have this. I believe you can just purchase this by itself. Would be interesting to see what happens if you put a ZTE Mobley SIM into an iPad or regular hotspot...

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I don't think you need a Cell plan to have this. I believe you can just purchase this by itself. Would be interesting to see what happens if you put a ZTE Mobley SIM into an iPad or regular hotspot...
You don't really need a phone to get a phone plan neither. I'm pretty confident you can just go to like att or T-Mobile, ask to get a phone line with unlimited data. Then go home and put it in an iPad.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Hey folks, sold my iPad UDP and am ready to transfer credentials over to the buyer.

Question about the transfer if you don't mind, I'm clear on what I need to do in changing the email address, changing the password, etc.

But what about the IMEI and ICCID? Is it a bad idea to leave that alone and have the buyer overtype his information? Do I get that from him and put it in while removing my IMEI and ICCID before I give him the credentials maybe?

Just worried about this last bit if you can help. Thanks.

BJ

007shinobi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
You don't really need a phone to get a phone plan neither. I'm pretty confident you can just go to like att or T-Mobile, ask to get a phone line with unlimited data. Then go home and put it in an iPad.
I can't speak for att but at least my grandfathered T-Mobile plan with the unlimited line does not allow you to put it in a tablet because T-Mobile does IMEI checks.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Got a message yesterday on my original unlimited iPad plan:
zhzvTAK.jpg

So unlimited plans will be no longer unthrottled after the 22 GB limit is hit.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
zhzvTAK.jpg

Since they say "we may slow down your data speeds" I'm guessing they'd only slow down data in places and during times of network congestion--similar to the smartphone unlimited plans. It's a bit of a bummer but not a hard limit at least.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

The $1,400 I got for selling my Grandfathered AT&T UDP on eBay three weeks ago sent me a message:

"HA HA HA HA HA!"

BJ

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Any restrictions on what hotspots these will work with? Looks far cheaper on eBay to grab a hotspot then continue to buy the LTE version of the iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.