Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Starting May 24th... That's what the message stated on my plan. And I've had it since I got the original iPad 3G.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Starting May 24th... That's what the message stated on my plan. And I've had it since I got the original iPad 3G.

Wow, bad news for heavy users. Looks like the $29.95 unthrottled ride is over.

Anyone else get this message?

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Yeah I got it. But no big deal. My 3 plans have paid for themselves multiple times over. And maybe they're not worth 2k+ on ebay anymore, but it's still the cheapest unlimited plan you can get. After all everything is throttled now except for super expensive business plans. I was thinking of selling one of my plans about a month ago, guess I missed the chance. These plans would still be worth 1k for many buyers though.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Is this legit, AT&T is throttling unlimited iPad data now?

Yes. Confirmed here and on the Howard Forums. It's essentially the same as the ATT Unlimited Plus plan and 22GB before the cutoff.

That said, for a standalone plan with no strings it's still not a bad deal, and many are reporting that even with 100s of GB of data it's merely a deprioritization and not a true throttle, but still...

BJ

Reactions: aypues

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
That said, for a standalone plan with no strings it's still not a bad deal

The ATT Mobiley is better at $20 for "unlimited" (with 22GB "deprioritization"). Just requires purchase the $99 Mobiley device to get it contract free (or signing up for a two year contract to pay nothing). That gives you a SIM card that reportedly works in other data-only devices.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Got a message yesterday on my original unlimited iPad plan:
zhzvTAK.jpg

So unlimited plans will be no longer unthrottled after the 22 GB limit is hit.
The link doesn't mention anything about the grandfathered unlimited plan. Also, the grammatical error (your enjoying) is suspect.

Reactions: aypues

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
That's funny you mention that. It would be hilarious if someone was finding a way to look up the numbers of these plans and send a spoof message, so people sell cheap and then they buy them up hahaha. Conspiracy theorists can go crazy about little things like that. Definitely believe it's from AT&T, my wife said she got the message on her phone. I'll check to see if the same typo is on there later.

CJ-Johnson

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2015
Yeah I got it. But no big deal. My 3 plans have paid for themselves multiple times over. And maybe they're not worth 2k+ on ebay anymore, but it's still the cheapest unlimited plan you can get. After all everything is throttled now except for super expensive business plans. I was thinking of selling one of my plans about a month ago, guess I missed the chance. These plans would still be worth 1k for many buyers though.
What business plans are you referring to?

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Yeah that's what I was referring to. I also have the unlimited loyalty verizon phone plan, but it's throttled at 22gb I believe. However I average about 35gb a month and haven't noticed a slowdown.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Just saw the message about deprioritization. I think I'm going to sell mine and get the ZTE Mobley with the $20 connected car standalone plan.

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Are these messages only appearing on hotspot devices? Haven't seen it on my iPad as yet.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Are these messages only appearing on hotspot devices? Haven't seen it on my iPad as yet.

Just checked my Netgear Explore, got the message. I haven't had that SIM in an iPad since I discovered the SIM could be used in a hotspot... Probably 4 yrs ago.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I got the notice through e-mail. (Just checked my Unite Pro. A message came there, too.) Looks like the truly unlimited party is over. :(

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I still have a grandfathered iPad unlimited data plan, and I got the same message today too. It says:

We're making some changes to your tablet's pre-paid unlimited data plan
Hi XXXXXXXXXXXXX,

We hope you're enjoying surfing, streaming, downloading, gaming, watching, and more on your iPad. Heads up: Starting on May 24, 2017, when you use more than 22GB of data in one bill period, we may slow down your data speeds during periods of network congestion for the rest of your bill period.

Questions? For more info on our network management practices, go to att.com/broadbandinfo.

To manage your account, go to att.com/ipadlanding.

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Got two emails today, one for each of my plans... At least they spelled you're properly.

We're making some changes to your tablet's pre-paid unlimited data plan

Hi (grandfathered iPad no-longer unlimited plan user),

We hope you're enjoying surfing, streaming, downloading, gaming, watching, and more on your iPad. Heads up: Starting on May 24, 2017, when you use more than 22GB of data in one bill period, we may slow down your data speeds during periods of network congestion for the rest of your bill period.

Questions? For more info on our network management practices, go to att.com/broadbandinfo.

To manage your account, go to att.com/ipadlanding.

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I got the email this evening. I'm not too concerned about it. I have used over 22GB on my new Mobley plan and never noticed any slowing down. Even if it did, streaming video still worked and that's all I'm interested in. $29.99 with no tax is still a good price for an unlimited plan that can be used in iPads, phones, and hotspots.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I got the email this evening. I'm not too concerned about it. I have used over 22GB on my new Mobley plan and never noticed any slowing down. Even if it did, streaming video still worked and that's all I'm interested in. $29.99 with no tax is still a good price for an unlimited plan that can be used in iPads, phones, and hotspots.

johnothy, I have a question about your post. I've been an iPad user since the 1st generation iPads were released, and I still have the iPad (grandfathered) unlimited data plan... but I only bought my first iPhone two weeks ago (I was not a cell phone user before that, if you can believe it!!). So I asked at my AT&T store about transferring my iPad unlimited data plan to my iPhone, and the AT&T representative said that would not work, since my iPad unlimited data plan does not include a voice plan.

I'm asking you about this question, since you mentioned transferring the unlimited data plan from the iPad to phones, at the end of your message. Is there a way to transfer the unlimited data plan from my iPad to my iPhone, and somehow augment the plan by adding a voice plan on the iPhone too? Please forgive my stupid questions here. I do have a Ph.D. and I do massive computations in my research work, but somehow I am completely stupid about iPhones since I just bought my first cell phone (an iPhone) two weeks ago. I would truly welcome your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.