Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah I got it. But no big deal. My 3 plans have paid for themselves multiple times over. And maybe they're not worth 2k+ on ebay anymore, but it's still the cheapest unlimited plan you can get. After all everything is throttled now except for super expensive business plans. I was thinking of selling one of my plans about a month ago, guess I missed the chance. These plans would still be worth 1k for many buyers though.

I just spent some time looking, and I still don't see an alternative for me, who usually uses 1-2GB a month. T-Mobile for $25/month (+ tax?). Not enough of a savings.

This past month, in a hotel with flakey internet, I just moved the SIM to a MiFi, and took advantage of that for 5-6GB.

Now, if ATT or Verizon offered a $20 2GB plan, I would go with that.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
For those that were saying that they didn't notice throttling, is it bc it actually doesn't got into affect until the end of May?

ATT already does this same type of throttling on other Unlimited plans, and there are plenty of people who have not seen any slowdowns once you hit the 22GB threshold. It isn't an immediate drop to unusable speeds once the limit is reached, but depends on tower usage.

And since I've seen slower data speeds depending on time and place even without this, I suspect that people can probably figure out when it will happen anyway. Examples of congestion is when you get better upload speeds than download. I suppose that if postpaid plans are getting slow, people past this limit will really be hit hard.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
johnothy, I have a question about your post. I've been an iPad user since the 1st generation iPads were released, and I still have the iPad (grandfathered) unlimited data plan... but I only bought my first iPhone two weeks ago (I was not a cell phone user before that, if you can believe it!!). So I asked at my AT&T store about transferring my iPad unlimited data plan to my iPhone, and the AT&T representative said that would not work, since my iPad unlimited data plan does not include a voice plan.

I'm asking you about this question, since you mentioned transferring the unlimited data plan from the iPad to phones, at the end of your message. Is there a way to transfer the unlimited data plan from my iPad to my iPhone, and somehow augment the plan by adding a voice plan on the iPhone too? Please forgive my stupid questions here. I do have a Ph.D. and I do massive computations in my research work, but somehow I am completely stupid about iPhones since I just bought my first cell phone (an iPhone) two weeks ago. I would truly welcome your advice.

These $29.95 unlimited iPad plans were never attached to any voice plans. That's probably the reason they flew under the radar for so long.

If you're on one of the new AT&T unlimited plans, you can add a tablet for $20 (I believe).. You could always do this, and cancel the $29.95 plan. I'm holding into mine for now. The tablet plans are $20 each, sublet to 'network managament' after 22GB... The same as our legacy unlimited $29.95 plans.

It could save you $10/mo. Instead of canceling it, you might make a few bucks off selling it.. Although I'd sure the market has tanked on these.

winterpeas

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
These $29.95 unlimited iPad plans were never attached to any voice plans. That's probably the reason they flew under the radar for so long.

If you're on one of the new AT&T unlimited plans, you can add a tablet for $20 (I believe).. You could always do this, and cancel the $29.95 plan. I'm holding into mine for now. The tablet plans are $20 each, sublet to 'network managament' after 22GB... The same as our legacy unlimited $29.95 plans.

It could save you $10/mo. Instead of canceling it, you might make a few bucks off selling it.. Although I'd sure the market has tanked on these.

Yeah its the same as the att unlimited plus plan.
It would be great to add 8 lines to it, but i only need 1 tablet plan.
Is there any forum where you can add lines together with other people?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Yeah its the same as the att unlimited plus plan.
It would be great to add 8 lines to it, but i only need 1 tablet plan.
Is there any forum where you can add lines together with other people?
What do you me a by add lines together with others?

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I see people are trying to unload these grandfathered unlimited iPad plans left & right on eBay now. Last one went for $450 today.

I don't think their worth much anymore, as an add-on tablet plan is $20 now for every carrier. I know T-Mo won't allow SIM in a hotspot, not sure about Sprint.

I got my money out of my two plans over the years, I have no regret.

winterpeas

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
What do you me a by add lines together with others?

For the att unlimited plus, you can have 10 lines and it would be the cheapest.
If you only have 2 lines it would be 145 /2 each and each additional line would be 20$ more.
So i kind of want to join somebody who has 10lines, probably just going to ask my friends to see if i can join their family plan

Last edited by a moderator:

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
I see people are trying to unload these grandfathered unlimited iPad plans left & right on eBay now. Last one went for $450 today.

I don't think their worth much anymore, as an add-on tablet plan is $20 now for every carrier. I know T-Mo won't allow SIM in a hotspot, not sure about Sprint.

I got my money out of my two plans over the years, I have no regret.

Wow, you're right. The prices dropped like a rock. You can see that just last week, they were going for $1,600

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Before a lot of people were using it as their only source of internet access and it was truly unlimited. Right now its pure speculation. I'm sure someone will end up suing ATT for this and there is a small chance of them going back to original terms. Then prices might go back up or stay where they are. I'm keeping mine for now as it paid for itself from leasing it.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Got this message this weekend:
hatERvk.jpg

wisegeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
Are you on the ipad plan?29.99? Is yours cloned?or legit original original sorry too many clones around :D....

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm over 40 gb and so far no throttling whatsoever. 40+down about 12 up. I wouldn't worry

wisegeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
No i have two originals. I got the inital message a month ago about the possible deprioritization but nothing since then.
Oh ok..I have a original ipad plan as well..going to test it past 22gb and see what happens.I did get the initial message also like you that they would implement this from May 20th I think.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Oh ok..I have a original ipad plan as well..going to test it past 22gb and see what happens.I did get the initial message also like you that they would implement this from May 20th I think.

yeah, over 40 gb still goin strong.

wisegeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
yeah, over 40 gb still goin strong.
Ebay is flooded with ipad plans and their value now is next to nothing glad I only paid 1k and got full use over last few years.those who paid 2k to 3k I can't imagine their buyers remorse

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Ebay is flooded with ipad plans and their value now is next to nothing glad I only paid 1k and got full use over last few years.those who paid 2k to 3k I can't imagine their buyers remorse

yeah those days are over, but I still see tons of value in these plans. I really believe I can do hundreds of gb no problem like before. It's still a prepaid plan (hence no taxes, no postpaid account needed) and it's only 29.99/month. I'm keeping mine.

Reactions: bigbucksnowhammies

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
I'm keeping all 3 of mine as well, I only received a message about throttling on one plan, however one of my.other ones I'm at 57gb, for the month and no message at all. No throttling at all

Reactions: bigbucksnowhammies
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.