Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
They should just admit that’s what they’re doing then. Politicians who support protectionism in the US will generally (though not always, of course) straight up tell you they’re supporting “America First” policies.
This is a competition issue… and it mostly affects competition between various international companies operating within the EU. Its not really about national protectionism, but protection of the consumer from anti competitive practices.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It was easy enough for me to switch to Firefox as my default browser here in the USA, and that is without the additional push government mandate provides. How can it be so difficult in the EU?

It was easy enough for anyone to switch to Netscape Navigator in Windows in the late 1990s when IE was the "forced" default... and that was without the additional push of government mandates.

Perhaps the world would be so much better if Microsoft/IE had run unchecked and the entire world was using IE in 2024 now? Even those early Jobsian Macs had to come with IE because it was the "big dog" at the time... NOT by necessarily being better, but simply because the 64000 LB gorilla flexed other bits of tech domination to force THEIR browser on all Windows installations.

Bonus: that dominance led to Microsoft creating non-standard bits of HTML/CSS, which then had to be especially addressed for the next 10-15+ years to make websites also be compatible with old IE forks. Fun times were guaranteed for all... as is always the case when any one corporate entity gains too much of a hold on any one thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: UliBaer

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I think Europe should just force everyone to use a phone that has keys you click to dial phone numbers and nothing more. It equalizes for all. Nokia or BlackBerry will be the two choices for true equality.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

havaloc

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2023
That screen reminds me of going to the mall with all those little carts along the way in the middle of the concourse. Sometimes you just want to go to Macy's and be left alone.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This is a competition issue… and it mostly affects competition between various international companies operating within the EU. Its not really about national protectionism, but protection of the consumer from anti competitive practices.
Problem has already been solved and they are still whining. So I don’t believe that it’s simply about "protection of the consumer”.

If the EU said Apple has to force users to watch an unskippable ad for each browser before choosing, would that be acceptable?

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Apple presents alphabetized list of third-party browsers. Browser starting with A is happy. Browser starting with V is upset. Who could have seen that coming?

This is what I thought about too when the screen popped up when I opened Safari.
I wonder how many just clicks on the first one thinking that something needs to be downloaded and just downloads it, hence the increasing downloads of browser with letter A.
"Regular" users don't really care and just want to reach the web. I guess it would be better with random list order for every user.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
They should just admit that’s what they’re doing then. Politicians who support protectionism in the US will generally (though not always, of course) straight up tell you they’re supporting “America First” policies.
Its written all over the policy and the various explanations and websites exactly what it's for.
Apple presents alphabetized list of third-party browsers. Browser starting with A is happy. Browser starting with V is upset. Who could have seen that coming?
Its randomised.
Problem has already been solved and they are still whining. So I don’t believe that it’s simply about "protection of the consumer”.

If the EU said Apple has to force users to watch an unskippable ad for each browser before choosing, would that be acceptable?
The problem hasn't been solved. Apple are trying specifically to hamper the problem from being solved, as they're part of the problem.

As for the second part of your comment what's the point of making up a fake scenario and then demanding an answer for it? What a strange way of trying to communicate a point.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Western companies still do business with Russia every day. Exports got re directed by intermediary countries.

Everyone knows its happening, and no, they don't really want to stop it.
I'm talking state-level imports. Despite the EU promising to stop it, countries like Germany are still importing from Russia. Maybe Germany shouldn't have listened to the morons and instead invested in nuclear like France, then it wouldn't have been a problem.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
It’s always insane to me to see so many people on this forum side with the anti-competitive behaviour of the trillion dollar company, rather than basic government regulations that keep these companies in check.

I suppose that’s what you get on a forum specifically dedicated to coverage of one of those companies, but it’s still sad to see.

1) Governments breaking things apart doesn’t always make thing better for users. The classic example people study is the breakup of the Bell Telephone Company.

2) Politicians and governments always have an agenda. It is reasonable to question how that is impacting the current situation.

3) It seems incredibly ignorant to pretend that this is a right vs wrong or good vs bad scenario. The real world doesn’t work in absolutes.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I'm talking state-level imports. Despite the EU promising to stop it, countries like Germany are still importing from Russia. Maybe Germany shouldn't have listened to the morons and instead invested in nuclear like France, then it wouldn't have been a problem.
But all states are still doing business with Russia. There are just some things that are necessary… unless you're in outright direct conflict/war. But even then, you'd still probably be trading things indirectly via a third or fourth etc country.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I don't understand why they could be so upset. Isn't this list randomized?

Yep. I think the only valid criticism is that an app needs to meet a certain threshold to be included at all, but I don’t know how you fix that without making a truly ridiculous list of dozens of apps.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Despite users increasingly choosing alternative options, browser companies have criticized Apple and Google for the slow rollout of the change, and believe it is hampering the migration away from Safari and Chrome.

For example, Vivaldi CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner notes that Apple's choice screen only appears when iPhone users open Safari, while the list of browsers provides no additional information.

"The list of browsers does not show additional information and that does not help users to make a meaningful choice,"

Ecosia has also been critical, and says Apple's implementation involves an "overly complex installation process" and keeps Safari front and center on the user's iPhone Home screen.
I’m really trying to understand what the big complaint is.
All I can find are these seemingly minor issues, at most.

Apple is not perfect but, to me at least, these don't sound like anything unfair or unscrupulous on the part of Apple.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
It’s always insane to me to see so many people on this forum side with the anti-competitive behaviour of the trillion dollar company, rather than basic government regulations that keep these companies in check.

I suppose that’s what you get on a forum specifically dedicated to coverage of one of those companies, but it’s still sad to see.
You don’t get it?

Uncontrolled capitalism = paradise for all
Governmental regulations = pure evil.

It’s not that hard ;-)

[/sarcasm]

Reactions: Lyrics23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.