Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
I'm with you. And should the EU or other rise up to go after Google, apparently we should have a ton of posts defending Google over the GOV intervention... because apparently corporate interests are more important to us than consumer interests... as evidenced by the outrage when Apple is on the other end of that kind of thing. Now why do I think we will see it very differently when it's NOT Apple in that position?
Consumer interests have very little to do with EU regulatory rulings. The idea that the purpose of their rulings is to help consumers is laughable.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
Ok now this is going too far. It’s a selection screen, and it isn’t anticompetitive because Apple’s own product isn’t even at the top spots of the list. Not even Safari has a description. If users want to change their browsers they’ll search for what each does, if they don’t they clearly wouldn’t have switched.
All these competitors are going too far. Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.
Indeed. We are taking the mile to make up for too much distance lost in the past.

rustygh

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
EU & it's loudmouth complainers won't be happy until Apple greys out the safari App.
Then the rest of the browser CEO's will start fighting each other. I'm not happy Jon from Vivaldi had to weigh in, in a pretty sad way on this, might make me reconsider them.

Reactions: gusmula

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
After the App Store, the second best place to advertise an alternative browser actually when the user opens the pre-installed browser, safari, for the first time.

If the post depicts precisely the foundation for such complaints, I would find it silly. I am surely missing something.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Ok now this is going too far. It’s a selection screen, and it isn’t anticompetitive because Apple’s own product isn’t even at the top spots of the list. Not even Safari has a description. If users want to change their browsers they’ll search for what each does, if they don’t they clearly wouldn’t have switched.
All these competitors are going too far. Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

They’re in the EU so, give them a centimeter and they’ll take a kilometer.

jfreedle2

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2022
The people who complain have never developed software in their life. What they do is really nothing and they believe that people would choose their garbage. I feel sorry for their delusional state of mind.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
Realized I'm not adding anything super constructive so I will say I'm ride or die Apple, as an occasional poster. Just hope we don't go down the mandatory shihole OS around the world that we seem to be aiming at.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
For now it is a step in the right direction. Maybe in the future Apple will make some changes.

emulator

macrumors 6502a
You're not thinking from an average consumers perspective. A lot of people just either don't care or don't know of other options. There are people who basically don't ever go into the settings App and then just think thats all thats available. This presents a choice in your face to ensure fairness.
That is the same thing, if you don't know something, you don't care about it!

The biggest gift from these stupid useless EU bureaucrats is cookie consent. How to **** up internet browsing for hundreds of millions to "protect the innocent and stupid". And why don't they care about usb c on airplanes?

• Disagree
Reactions: Lyrics23

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Likely people are not looking for all these unnecessary changes to iOS, at this point, the EU has jumped the shark. They have clearly solved all the critical issues in the EU and can spend time focusing on UX designs on iPhones.
You can chew bubblegum and walk at the same time. The part of eu doing the investigation is doing their job.

The EU parliament doesn’t do anything about this as it’s not their responsibility

Reactions: Lyrics23

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
That is the same thing, if you don't know something, you don't care about it!

The biggest gift from these stupid useless EU bureaucrats is cookie consent. How to **** up internet browsing for hundreds of millions to "protect the innocent and stupid". And why don't they care about usb c on airplanes?
lol you don’t know what you’re talking about.
GDPR gave you rights and obligations that your private data was encrypted and stored in a secure manner. And consent was needed and you can’t be abused with shady tactics.

nicolas_s

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
I wish we could be given the option to ignore all these cr*p popups everywhere.

Like a checkbox on the phone settings that would be saying "Just give me the default options for everything and stop annoying me with these browser and cookie popups"

Reactions: Adysubman

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I wish we could be given the option to ignore all these cr*p popups everywhere.

Like a checkbox on the phone settings that would be saying "Just give me the default options for everything and stop annoying me with these browser and cookie popups"
They are annoying, I agree. But they're mainly annoying due to how the particular website implements them. My personal websites have an unobtrusive banner that only starts collecting anything if clicked. The website works without clicking it.

The fact of the matter is though, before this regulation websites collected what they liked, put whatever cookies they liked, and took what info they liked, and then did with it what they liked. They also gave other unrelated companies the ability to do all the same things.

Maybe thats OK with you but its certainly not OK with me and now it's not a thing. So yes, thank you EU.
Since when the opinion of the EU matters? You will be directed to bark at Russia and Apple and you WILL be barking at Russia and Apple. You have zero say on the matter.
Doesn't even mean anything nor make sense even.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Nothing wrong with the browser selection screen. For those who would want something other than Safari, or Chrome, or Edge, or FireFox they already know and would scroll and search. Those who would want to try would look in the app store.

Me I'm happy with Safari and don't get this stuff, I just keep using safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.